M-401 Atomizer question (issue?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Ok...I just got my 401 a couple of days ago. Aside from a couple of small issues with the package contents (which the distributor is happy to sort out) I'm having what I think MAY be an issue with the atomizer.

It seems that the metal wick which passes the liquid on to the atomizing basket is grabbing the fiber material in some of my carts and pulling the fiber right out of the cartridge when I take the mouthpiece off.

I'm hearing that this may be a common issue related to the idea that the material shouldn't actually touch the atomizer and that I can stop this problem by pushing the material down a bit in the cart. I was under the impression, though, that the whole idea works through contact-absorption and that in order to keep things working the metal wick needed to be in contact with the material which is holding the liquid.

So here's a short list of questions...

1. Is this, in fact, a common issue?
  2. If so, is the "fix" that was recommended to me a viable one?
  3. Also, if so, has anyone out there found a way to overcome this issue?
  4. Is my understanding of absorption correct?
  5. What can be done to stop this happening, at the manufacturer level?

I was thinking of getting some ultra-fine mesh and somehow attaching it to the end of a cartridge (with a bit of a pocket so that the wick can still slide in to the end of the cart) so that it would act as a retainer for the cartridge media. I would need to use something that will stand up to a bit of heat and has the ability to absorb and / or pass on the liquid to the metal wick. I'm still thinking of a way to make this happen without destroying the cartridge.

Anyway, if anyone can give me any information, I'd appreciate it, greatly.

Fedor

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008
D*mn the server being busy...i had to retype this.

Don't worry about it too much. I've basically had this problem once or twice in the first few days. I find that it goes away by itself. You can also try the following:

1) Drip a few drops of liquid on the atomiser. I find that if you constantly keep the atomiser wet, the fiber material will not get picked up by the atomiser. Not to mention it gives a good vapor and throat hit.

2) You can also try pushing the fiber material a little more into the cart. I don't know if this will help too much cos it usually springs back up anyway.

I wouldn't worry too much about it if i were you. It'll go away.

I'm assuming you got it from steve since its the chinese new year holidays and absolutely ecigs is not shipping during this time. Very impressive shipping time, i must say..

Last edited:

Terraphon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Phoenix, AZ, USA
D*mn the server being busy...i had to retype this.

Yeah, sucks. Something's up with the owner's service, again. Bad luck :(

Don't worry about it too much. I've basically had this problem once or twice in the first few days. I find that it goes away by itself. You can also try the following:

1) Drip a few drops of liquid on the atomiser. I find that if you constantly keep the atomiser wet, the fiber material will not get picked up by the atomiser. Not to mention it gives a good vapor and throat hit.

I've done that...I try to hit the atomizer with a drop or 2 before I put the cart on (Yep...I'm a total newbie and this was my first purchase but I did quite a bit of reading and made sure I had a bottle of juice when I got the e-cig :) ) but I've still run in to the issue. It does seem, now that I'm thinking of it, that the issue is lessening...I'm not getting as much fuzz on the atomizer as I was. Hopefully it will stop altogether.

2) You can also try pushing the fiber material a little more into the cart. I don't know if this will help too much cos it usually springs back up anyway.

So is it fair to say that the fiber doesn't have to be in contact with the metal wick for proper transfer of the liquid?

I wouldn't worry too much about it if i were you. It'll go away.

I'm assuming you got it from steve since its the chinese new year holidays and absolutely ecigs is not shipping during this time. Very impressive shipping time, i must say..

Good...I'm glad it won't be an ongoing issue.

Also, I didn't get it from Steve (I assume you're referring to puresmoker.com) but I did get some liquid from him (24mg...It's kicking my ......I'm going to have to back off to 16 for my next liquid purchase...I'm thinking about getting 555 since I've heard that and the 401 go together like Forrest and Jenny). I got an EVO from intellicigs...I'm loving it (good company, too...Their customer service is very responsive and they're very willing to take care of business). Shipping times were quite a bit more than I thought they would be but I got my product.

Now I have several more purchases in mind for the near future.

Also...I haven't had a real smoke since Saturday...The very day I picked up my EVO.

Happy!

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
It DOES have to touch, that's how it wicks. Maybe there's a pokey bristle on the wire bridge snagging the wool. The bridge sticks out on a 401, right? See if you can find the pokey bit, and take something hard and see if you can smooth it out a bit. Like the back end of a BIC pen? Don't press ridiculously hard, and you won't wreck it

Dorian_Gray

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2009
Stepford, Fla
I have been having the same problem with the 901s. Now I just pick 'em of the atomizer, stuff 'em back in and just go on. Still investigating, but, when I randomly stuff them back in, they seem to be better than restuffing them as is.

It may have something to do with the wicking material's end grain.

More as I learn more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread