Status
Not open for further replies.

DrmChld

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 8, 2011
OR USA
www.ecblendflavors.com
Does anyone know of a machine that you can put X amount of bottles into, turn it on and let it shake for 10-15 minutes?

I have checked prices on user paint mixers and they are way to expensive and way to aggressive.

I have been tinkering around with an idea of using a Sawzall with a blade welded to a container that I can securely fit 6 bottles into and then letting that run for a 10 minutes. But who knows.

Maybe someone has a good idea for me. (besides using my hand)

Thanks

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
That might work. But was thinking of something to shakes it up more. I found this link:

Make Your Own Bargain Basement Hobby Paint Mixer

Your avatar looks like Kevin Smith

I think that idea is close to what you want. You could also try affixing something to hold bottles to what is referred to as a "percussion" massager. A percussion massager has an action very similar to a paint store mixer. The underlying mechanism in the one I have "rocks" back and forth.

But keep in mind with either a massager or the electric kitchen knife both these items are meant for intermittent use - they would burn themselves out or shut down (if thermally protected) if run for 10 to 15 minutes continuous duty.

What you really want in the lab equipment line for multiple bottles would be a "rocking shaker" instead of a mixer. The kind of thing that tilts closed bottles (test tubes etc.) back and forth. But that's a big $$$ item.

MadmanMacguyver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Dallas Texas
actually the sawzall is a good idea just a little overboard w the container idea...me I have been looking at designing a mixer to thread into the bottles...the mixing attachment would have to be made of a non reactive material...tap the power button a few times and voila mixed juice...just dont fill your bottle to the top...or make one large batch mix then put in smaller bottles...

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I think jwquantrell has the best idea with a mag stirrer. You would need some of the little pill-sized magnets and depending on the width of the mouth of the bottle, a magnet wand to remove the pill. Nice thing about this is if you mix the juice in a glass bottle, it could be also sitting in a pan of hot water, if you want to "heat-cure" the flavor (some put their filled bottles in hot water for this purpose). So two birds with one stone!

Or you could mix the juice in a blender. :D

bwood12043

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2008
East Texas
I don't know how many you are trying to do at one time, but when I get a big batch mixed up at one time, say twenty bottle or so, I tighten the lids really good, put them all into a gallon-size zip loc and put them in the washing machine once the agitate cylce begins, I use the no-spin cycle and then get them out and they are all mixed up really well. I usually have some work rags or something in there. have never had a leak or any bag breakage. works for me on the cheap and lazy (I like to call it busy !)

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I don't know how many you are trying to do at one time, but when I get a big batch mixed up at one time, say twenty bottle or so, I tighten the lids really good, put them all into a gallon-size zip loc and put them in the washing machine once the agitate cylce begins, I use the no-spin cycle and then get them out and they are all mixed up really well. I usually have some work rags or something in there. have never had a leak or any bag breakage. works for me on the cheap and lazy (I like to call it busy !)

I love it! That's a great combination of lazy (no invention work required), cheap (no costs involved), effective & just... brilliant!

The only question I have is: top loader or front loader? :laugh:

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
Could you use a sonic jewelry cleaner?

I have one, and have done this. It gives you a good start on steeping, might cut the time in half.

The first time I tried it the juice was in a 4mL glass bottle with a screw top. after 9 minutes of running I opened the lid to pull it out. OH NO! The bottle had tipped onto its side, the lid had vibrated off and spilled all the juice.

I did it again later on, but this time I set the bottle inside the cap from a 5-gal water jug; the cap has a tubular passage through it slightly larger than the bottle and prevents it from tipping over. A 6 minute run with hot water in the tank seems to make a difference. I thought the juice tasted like it had steeped for at least 12 hours.

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
Other possibilities, that should be able to run for hours on end:
a rock tumbler, used for polishing semi-precious stones
a vibratory cleaner, such as that used for cleaning cartridge cases for reloading ammunition

I thought of getting some larger styrofoam balls from a craft store, sawing them in half, hollowing them out to accept a bottle of juice, placing the bottle inside and then stapling the halves together. Put it in the trunk of the car for a day and let it roll and bounce around. At this time of year it would also get hot in there. Bet it would work, but I'd probably get a ticket for reckless driving from trying to mix it faster...

ByStander1

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2011
West Virginia

Love This Idea!!!

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
to be honest, I am rethinking the stir plate. Open air stirring will introduce a fair amount of O2 into the juice, which will contribute to discoloration and nic loss. Better to agitate the juice in a sealed bottle, preferably warm. The washing machine is actually quite a good idea, as long as everything is sealed well. The dryer too, again as long as everything is sealed well! 8-o

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Other possibilities, that should be able to run for hours on end:
a rock tumbler, used for polishing semi-precious stones
a vibratory cleaner, such as that used for cleaning cartridge cases for reloading ammunition

I thought of getting some larger styrofoam balls from a craft store, sawing them in half, hollowing them out to accept a bottle of juice, placing the bottle inside and then stapling the halves together. Put it in the trunk of the car for a day and let it roll and bounce around. At this time of year it would also get hot in there. Bet it would work, but I'd probably get a ticket for reckless driving from trying to mix it faster...

Another winner! - The rock tumbler idea. Relatively inexpensive, slow consistent motion, built for long duty cycles, bottles could be oriented different ways - depending on how you insert them into the tumbling chamber.

Wanna see what they look like? Go here, and search on "rock tumbler" - they have two models available.

American Science & Surplus : Items Just Off the Truck

And you could always make jewelry and sell it to pay for all that pv stuff. I'm just sayin...

kenetix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2009
Illinois
all this got me thinking... I have this massage thing called a percussion massage whatever... my wife got it for me from walmart when I hurt my back for something like 25 bucks... anyways it would simulate the paint mixer action I think and not be as brutal as a sawzall... it has changeable heads on the thing you could epoxy a container of sorts and put bottles in and turn on and leave sit for a bit...

HoMedics Extendable Percussion Massager : Target

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread