Mad Rabbit Nichrome90 or Mad Rabbit low resistance wire, why not great sub-ohming on a mech mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmc1980

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2011
massachusetts
I have two new 26650 hybrid copper purge competition mech mods that have been amazing with the wire I have tried (Nichrome80, 22g). I originally bought one and was so impressed with it I bought another, along with 2 solid silver switches, 2 heavy silver springs, 2 medium silver springs and an extension tube. Anyway, back to the mod and wire. I bought two new types of wire for this mod that just ramp-up to slow to vape with. They are mad rabbit nichrome90 21g and mad rabbit low resistance 22g. I had VERY high expectations for both of these wires because they sounded exactly like what I was looking for. I did get the low resistance 22g wire to vape to my satisfaction, however I had to build dual coils at .12ohms and I haven't super sub-ohmed yet with the nichrome90 21g. I just don't get how nichrome80 22g ramps-up fast but my 2 new wires don't. thanks for reading even if you tell me nothing can be done. Jeff

Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have two new 26650 hybrid copper purge competition mech mods that have been amazing with the wire I have tried (Nichrome80, 22g). I originally bought one and was so impressed with it I bought another, along with 2 solid silver switches, 2 heavy silver springs, 2 medium silver springs and an extension tube. Anyway, back to the mod and wire. I bought two new types of wire for this mod that just ramp-up to slow to vape with. They are mad rabbit nichrome90 21g and mad rabbit low resistance 22g. I had VERY high expectations for both of these wires because they sounded exactly like what I was looking for. I did get the low resistance 22g wire to vape to my satisfaction, however I had to build dual coils at .12ohms and I haven't super sub-ohmed yet with the nichrome90 21g. I just don't get how nichrome80 22g ramps-up fast but my 2 new wires don't. thanks for reading even if you tell me nothing can be done. Jeff

A 21ga Wire has about a 25% Greater Cross-Sectional area than a 22ga Wire.

Why don't you just use a Thinner Wire?

21ga is almost Paperclip wire.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
There is little info on Ni90 hence why the developer of Steam Engine left it out of its equations. It has a higher Nickle content than Ni80 (Ni90 = 90% vs Ni80 = 80%), which I am going to assume means it also has a higher mass and a higher Specific Heat Capacity (for the same gauge) - both of which effects ramp up time.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I became remotely interested in Ni90 given its lower resistance where I wanted to capitalize on surface area with a targeted resistance in mind. But…. given the lack of information in regards to both Mass and Specific Heat Capacity, the coil could not be modeled within a virtual builder such as Steam Engine where we can obtain an idea on how it would preform vs other types of wire.

jmc1980

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2011
massachusetts
I just thought I would give an update to my build using thinner wire. This time I dug around in my supply of vape materials and decided to go with 23 gauge kanthal. I wrapped it around a 3mm bit 4 times and it came out to .17 ohms. This build produces massive clouds that pour from my RDA instantly.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Understanding the relationship between power and coil resistance | E-Cigarette Forum

"If you have two lengths of wire with one twice the thickness of the other, the thicker wire will have twice the surface area but four times the mass.
Once you understand this it's easy to see that coils made from lots of wraps of thin wire will be exponentially more efficient.
This equates to either less power used for the same vapor production, or the same power for more vapor production."

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
qBbaivm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread