Status
Not open for further replies.

j_fro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2012
Upstate NY
So I made a 5v box with parts from madvapes, their green box, drilled myself. Followed their instructions all the way until the add hot glue phase.

I was going to use JBweld, the fast kind but as I mixed it up and tried to slop it on it became a mess, so I am getting a cheap hot glue gun tomorrow.

My reason for posting is this - the mod hits once, twice, maybe three times (1.5 dcc which I think should be ok since the 2 1.5 sorta equal 3) then it cuts out. I turn the master on/off to the off position, then back to on and all is well. Until the next third pull on the carto. I did notice that the regulator was hot to the touch, hotter than I expected it to be, but not quite pull your hand away hot. Does the hot glue act as a further heatsink? Do you think I have a short somewhere? If it matters I am using new trustfire 14500 3.7 (the flames)

I am quite honestly a noob at this so any thoughts would be welcome. I bought lots of extra parts so if I screwed the first build up I could try again, and again.

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
The mad vapes regulator is probably going into thermal shutdown from what you describe. The 1.5 dc is 2x 3.2 ohm coils in parallel so you wind up pulling a lot of amps at a low voltage. The lower your voltage on a linear regulator the more heat it produces as it turns the excess voltage into heat.

I would solder a piece of metal to the back of the regulator to act as a heat sink as the hot glue will act as an insulator and help the heat build up. Just make sure the heat sink is not touching anything as it will have voltage on it.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread