Magnet problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Speakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
lawrence, KS
So yesterday morning the magnet on the door of my Reo Mini came off. I was in a hurry so I quickly super glued it back on without removing the old glue. Now the magnet is no longer flush with the door so it's difficult to slide the door on and off. Anybody know how I can remove the magnet so I can clean it out, glue it back in and get it back to it's smooth action?

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Don't use acetone or such on any coating other than anodized or raw aluminum.

I didn't scrape all the glue out on my workhorse 2.0 when I replaced a door magnet. Door won't go on from bottom but will sliding down from top. Try that until you resolve issue.

I'm too lazy to redo it. And when I flubbed up first time replacing it took several, several hour soaks in acetone and I still had to dig it out with a dental pick. It was a very tight fit. Some are tight and others aren't.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

Evil Speakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
lawrence, KS
Don't use acetone or such on any coating other than anodized or raw aluminum.

I didn't scrape all the glue out on my workhorse 2.0 when I replaced a door magnet. Door won't go on from bottom but will sliding down from top. Try that until you resolve issue.

How do I know if mine is anodized or not?

It will slide in from the top or bottom (easier from the top), but the action isn't smooth like it was before and it's driving me crazy!

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine

It will slide in from the top or bottom (easier from the top), but the action isn't smooth like it was before and it's driving me crazy!
If the back of the door is raw aluminum its powder coated . If it is powder coated dont use acetone . I have tons of doors if you need a new door

Last edited by a moderator:

Evil Speakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
lawrence, KS

If the back of the door is raw aluminum its powder coated . If it is powder coated dont use acetone . I have tons of doors if you need a new door

Sounds like mine is anodized then as it is blue on both sides...

Thanks, Rob. I'll let you know if I end up needing a new door.

Last edited by a moderator:

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
If you have a local hobby shop pick up some CA debonder. Superglues are cyanoacrylate (active ingredient) and that is what CA debonder is for. I always keep a bottle around, fortunately I haven't had to use it often. Not sure if it attacks paints or powder coating though, I don't ever recall experiencing that but I think it will. Best to test it on an area inside to be sure if you do get some.

CATastrophe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2011
Purradise (NETN)
My replaced door magnet stuck up just a touch and enough to catch a bit, because I wasn't diligent about removing the old glue either. So I just worked the door a bit and it wore a slight groove in the metal directly beneath the magnet on the mod. It removed a bit of the anodized color, but I don't care because you can't see it unless the door is off anyway. So I guess mine is similar to Supe's. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread