Making own flavor extracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleeper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Dallas, TX
You do realize that most of the commercial flavors out there aren't extracts? They are mixed from various compounds that contain flavor molecules that are similar to or make our tongues react in similar ways to the foods we eat. Most aren't actual extracts because it's so hard to make an extract that conveys the flavor that we expect to the end product. Good luck but I don't think you'll have much success.

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
My understanding from reading up a little on the subject is that you would need to perform some sort of distillation that was really beyond what I wanted to wrap my brain around. Just soaking some portion of fruit, dry or fresh, is not going to work.

Tea, spices, tobacco, coffee, vanilla are all doable.

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
The process is elaborate, expensive and extremely time consuming. If you are super handy you could build your own still for distillation so that might save you a few bucks but the lab quality equipment will be thousands. And since we're talking about something you plan to aspirate, any setting less than a controlled environment is more than a little risky. I looked at the process some time ago and found that $3.50 for a bottle of pre-made extract is waaaay cheaper and much safer. It may not always be perfect but I honestly believe that more flavorings are in the works from many different suppliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread