Malic Acid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xylocaine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have had a bag of Malic Acid around for some time now from ECX. I tried it before at about 1/8th a tsp in 5mL PG and then 1/4th tsp in 10mL PG to rather metallic and nasty effect. I recently even tried 1/8th tsp in 10mL of 50/50/0 (PG/VG/Nic) and then added an additional 15mL PG to try and make it work for a total of 20mL to 1/8th tsp. Yet still just a slight irritation in the throat and more or less a metallic taste (just throwing about 1 drop onto my iGo-L full of raspberry). I know people have had success using it but I just am not - any suggestions?

clphoton

Verified Member
Nov 10, 2012
AL
I dissolved 1/4 tsp in 8 ml pg and then added another, that didn't dissolve.
When I first tried it I used about 2% to the recipe, not good, like a moldy towel. I haven't given up, but I'm having more success with a little citric right now.
I'm wondering if I needed to go up in percentage and perhaps if it only really works in certain instances. i.e. with certain flavors only.

eikon

slave to the comma
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
1 gram in 10ml of PG will give you a 10% solution (1/4 tsp will work as 1 gram, if you do not care about consistency) submerge the bottle in very hot water to disolve. Use sparingly, 1/8-1/2 percent in the final mix. Malic Acid can do wonders to juice when used correctly (as can Citric Acid).

clphoton

Verified Member
Nov 10, 2012
AL
Use sparingly, 1/8-1/2 percent in the final mix. Malic Acid can do wonders to juice when used correctly (as can Citric Acid).

I came back to my vial of malic to discover that almost all had dissolved. I'll follow your lead, when I next Getty up nerve to retry using it and use very little.

Sent from my RAZR using Tapatalk

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
I got these crunch and chew Jolly Rancher candies and the 3rd ingredient is Malic Acid. After sugar and corn syrup. I think thats what makes Jolly Rancher trademark sparkle. As opposed to Jelly Bellies intense flavor.... I mean these candies are using flavorings only and they must buy the best because they are goooood. Wonder what they use? Oh trade secret no doubt.

DeeDee1234

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Texas
I got these crunch and chew Jolly Rancher candies and the 3rd ingredient is Malic Acid. After sugar and corn syrup. I think thats what makes Jolly Rancher trademark sparkle. As opposed to Jelly Bellies intense flavor.... I mean these candies are using flavorings only and they must buy the best because they are goooood. Wonder what they use? Oh trade secret no doubt.

Maybe at a higher %?

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
I remember on 'How its made' or something similar about candy that they use like 1 Tbsp per 1 ton of candy to make 'sour' candies.

i saw that too! :)
i absolutely love sour candies so it was very interesting to me to find out that mailc acid is whats used for sour flavoring. needless to say, when i got into DIy and saw malic acid, i immediately sprung for it. i use it in almost all my fruit vapes, probably at a larger % than most because i am huge into sour. id really like to make a Warhead Juice (blue razz). :D

warheads1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread