Married Battery Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heath54

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2016
Western New York
I have 5 pair of batteries that I have kept in marked pairs from day one. Are they considered married? Also can I use them in different regulated dual battery mods? In one set one of the batteries discharges faster than the other, should I take that set out of rotation. All my batteries are E-Fest 3000mah 18650. I am just trying to understand married batteries and trying to be as safe as possible. I do not use high wattage, normally my max wattage is 37.5 watts. Any help understanding married batteries and safety is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Heaht54
:party:

Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have 5 pair of batteries that I have kept in marked pairs from day one. Are they considered married? Also can I use them in different regulated dual battery mods? In one set one of the batteries discharges faster than the other, should I take that set out of rotation. All my batteries are E-Fest 3000mah 18650. I am just trying to understand married batteries and trying to be as safe as possible. I do not use high wattage, normally my max wattage is 37.5 watts. Any help understanding married batteries and safety is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Heaht54
:party:

Marrying batteries is a way of ensuring that they charge and discharge in pairs or triplet sets and maintain equal wear and tear. Doing that allows them to remain matched during their life. If you separate them and use them in different mods they begin to experience unmatched usage and can begin to deteriorate at different rates. Once married they should stay matched and not separated for use individually or in pairs with unmarried cells. I keep matched pairs/sets in plastic battery boxes. You can use them in matched pairs between mods but they must stay matched together.

If you want to check the similarity of cells a good charger to buy is the Zanfare C4. It's about $30 on Amazon and can sometimes be found on sale. It has a battery test mode that reveals MAH (milliamp hours) and internal resistance. Both those numbers are good for determining battery condition when compared cell to cell. If they match, then the batteries can be paired.

Generally, if you buy cells in pairs and keep them paired, they will go through their useful life in a relatively matched state.

Last edited:

Heath54

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2016
Western New York
Marrying batteries is a way of ensuring that they charge and discharge in pairs and maintain equal wear and tear. Doing that allows them to remain match during their life. If you separate them and use them in different mods they begin to experience unmatched usage and can begin to deteriorate at different rates. Once married they should stay matched and not separated for use individually or in pairs with unmarried cells.

If you want to check the similarity of cells a good charger to buy is the Zanfare C4. It's about $30 on Amazon and can sometimes be found on sale. It has a battery test mode that reveals MAH (milliamp hours) and internal resistance. Both those numbers are good for determining battery condition when compared cell to cell. If they match, then the batteries can be paired.

Generally, if you buy cells in pairs and keep them paired, they will go through their useful life in a relatively matched state.
DaveP
I am going to look into a new charger. At this time I am using a Nitecore D4 but I would like one with a test mode.
Thank you
Heath54
:toast:

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
You might want to look at different batteries when you replace the wonky pair. Efests are rewraps, so they're generally not recommended:

(3) Are You Using a Rewrap (Rebranded) Battery? | E-Cigarette Forum

If you're wondering what to replace them with, Mooch maintains a chart showing recommended batteries, complete with a list of reliable vendors to help you avoid counterfeits:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/attachments/7fdf0dbf-4d99-4676-932d-b3259735ef7d-jpeg.735233/

I expect you've already figured this out from the video, but to answer your question explicitly you can use a married pair of batteries in any dual mod as long as you use them together. They're married to each other, not the mod.

The batteries that aren't discharging evenly are evidently having relationship problems and should come out of rotation. If you have any single battery mods, it's fine to use the one that's working better in that.

Heath54

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2016
Western New York
You might want to look at different batteries when you replace the wonky pair. Efests are rewraps, so they're generally not recommended:

(3) Are You Using a Rewrap (Rebranded) Battery? | E-Cigarette Forum

If you're wondering what to replace them with, Mooch maintains a chart showing recommended batteries, complete with a list of reliable vendors to help you avoid counterfeits:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/attachments/7fdf0dbf-4d99-4676-932d-b3259735ef7d-jpeg.735233/

I expect you've already figured this out from the video, but to answer your question explicitly you can use a married pair of batteries in any dual mod as long as you use them together. They're married to each other, not the mod.

The batteries that aren't discharging evenly are evidently having relationship problems and should come out of rotation. If you have any single battery mods, it's fine to use the one that's working better in that.
I have taken the batteries in question out of the rotation. In the future as I replace worn out ones I will get better batteries. I did not know E Fest are re-wraps. Thank you for all the info I really appreciate it.
Heath54

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
  • Useful

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes the marrying seemed to be going well, I was just thinking you needed a better quality bride and groom for safety reasons. Efests are not so great rewraps so take a look at Mooch's blog if it hasn't already been posted, there is a chart that lists the actual ratings of batteries he has tested and the last cell lists authentic trusted vendors of batteries, which sell direct from the factory safe and authentic batteries, where you know what you are actually getting, you would be surprised at the number of counterfeit batteries out there.

Good luck!

Anna

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have taken the batteries in question out of the rotation. In the future as I replace worn out ones I will get better batteries. I did not know E Fest are re-wraps. Thank you for all the info I really appreciate it.
Heath54
Check out Mooch's blog here on ECF for all the trusted information and a long list of professional battery tests done by Mooch.

Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread