Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsCasey

Pink Spot Fanatic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
Long Beach, CA
hmmm after reading this second time it dawned on me,,,,house maid or who ever only saw a PV,but never actually saw you using it right ??? or did i miss that part ???

preparing for a wedding i imagine there was a lot perfumy and other scenty stuff all over the place.

wonder how "speculation" would stand up in a court of law ???

Exactly what I was thinking. So if I have a pack of cigarettes laying on the bed that means I have smoked them in the room? I am disgusted by this! We have been outcast and vilified as smokers for too long. Now I am vaping and reducing harm to myself and others and I am still the victim of hate and judgement? I personally will not be staying at Marriott anymore!

StotheK

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2011
Knoxville
www.stevevape.com
I looked at one of the links, and I think she admitted that she had used it in the room when they asked her. See, this is where I would have lied, and not felt the least bit guilty about it. I'm generally fairly honest, but I wouldn't have been in this case.

She did admit it to the hotel when she appealed the charge. That part is sandwiched between the two quotes in the story. And yeah, my approach probably would have been to lie too :) That would have put the hotel in the awkward position of having to call a guest a liar.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
The moral to the story is she DIDN'T SMOKE, she used a vaporizer which has helped her quit smoking, if the company contract she signed when checking in and Hotel policy does NOT include vaporizers in the contract and hotel policy specifically then this woman did nothing wrong. As they even stated they have asked guest to leave that where using vaporizers in the bar and Atrium room but they still never included this in there company contract that guest sign or post anywhere that the use of vaporizers are not allowed. There was no smoke but only smoke & Mirrors to which they are claiming smoke, the woman told the total truth and I applaud her for doing so and if this case goes to court I see no possible way for her to lose this case since she NEVER SMOKED & IT IS NOT IN THE CONTRACT SHE SIGNED !

I still say we shouldn't call these electronic cigarettes and have been for a long time, they are not a cigarette they are a vaporizer two completely different items all together.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
If they lie... I lie!
whistle.gif

LibertyValance

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
Tampa, FL
I travel almost every week and am always very careful to put my ecig away and not vape around the help. As an ex smoker I am absolutely horrified at the smell of tobacco smoke can't stand to be within a mile of it. I guess you could say I'm pretty extreme about it - I won't linger in an area with a smoker and I won't stay in a room that has even the faintest whiff of smoke. It completely disgusts me. So I am a little more sympathetic to Marriott trying to cater to their vast majority of customers. They just need to be educated - a lot of companies are just finding out about ecigs. Smoke detectors, by the way, aren't bothered by ecigs in general unless you blast a vape right into them. I've vaped in a dozen hotels and cruise ships and never had a problem but I keep it to myself.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I am going to start calling Marriotts around the country and telling them I am intending to visit their city soon.
Then I am going to tell them I read about this woman being fined, and wanted to know their policy.

If they tell me I can't use my electronic cigarette, I am going to tell them they won't be getting my business.
And then I'm going to tell them that I'll be more than happy to start spreading the word to other vapers.

I'll report back on my results.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I am going to start calling Marriotts around the country and telling them I am intending to visit their city soon.
Then I am going to tell them I read about this woman being fined, and wanted to know their policy.

If they tell me I can't use my electronic cigarette, I am going to tell them they won't be getting my business.
And then I'm going to tell them that I'll be more than happy to start spreading the word to other vapers.

I'll report back on my results.

Heh. Maybe I'll call them and tell them I travel a lot and I've been vaping in their rooms every single time and I have no intention of abstaining in future visits.

ETA: I can't remember the last time I stayed at a Marriott.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
So I called four local Marriotts...

-One manager was out to lunch
-One manager was not available
-One manager checked on it and called me back and said it was okay
-One manager said I could use it in the room but not in public spaces

I then called Marriott Reservations and was transferred to Customer Relations.
They guy I spoke with is checking to see if there is a Corporate policy and will be calling me back.

I probably won't call any more Marriotts until I hear back from him.
:D

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
What a load. Talk about insane over charging. I'm curious as to what flavor the woman was vaping. Was it even a tobacco flavor? Most of my liquids (desserts and fruity stuff) just smell like a great air freshener! I sort of disagree about the 'no lingering odors' thing, though. While I agree the odors don't linger for that long, my family members are constantly sticking their heads in my room to sniff the yummy odors from my vape. It sure as heck isn't even as strong as spraying a perfume or a body spray in your room, though, nor as lasting an odor. Are they gonna start charging $250 when you spray perfume in your room? Sounds like a very straight laced corporate policy, and they aren't gonna budge. But if I was in a 'non smoking' room and got fined for vaping, I'd contest it on the basis that there was no 'smoking' ie combustion going on, nor any smoke whatsoever. Vapor is not smoke. Unless they clearly had the no vaping or ecig thing posted, as far as I'm concerned she wasn't aware that she would be breaking the rules by vaping.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The guy from Customer Care called me back and said that electronic cigarette use falls under their non-smoking policy but...

He said there needs to be evidence (cigarette butts, odor in the room, etc.) and that there should be no charge without that.
He also said that based on the people he spoke to, a call to Customer Care should have resolved the issue.

He was quite shocked when I told him that the lady in question took the issue up the ladder and did not get it resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread