Status
Not open for further replies.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I don't see how they can do this. They charge you $250 and there is nothing you can do?

In this case, they smelled smoke outside the room, in a hallway used by a bunch of other people. The fact that they smelled smoke means it wasn't related to the e-cig in any way.

A maid saw an e-cig in the room and reported it. That's fine - but having an e-cig in the room isn't a violation of law or any agreement with the hotel. Heck, having a pack of cigarettes in your room isn't a violation as long as you don't smoke them.

Is there incentive for the hotel to just do this any time they feel like it? If they can say "Hey, we didn't smell smoke in your room, but we smelled it in the hall" then what keeps them from charging $250 to every random customer they feel like?

I'd be on the phone to my charge card company raising hell. And I'd never pay a dime. If my credit card company decides they want to tack on random "fines" from random businesses, then I'm not paying them.

I wasn't able to figure out what town this happened in. Does anyone know?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
When I vape Malty Toffee, people want to know what that wonderful aroma is. There are some juices that don't have great aromas, but most are not objectionable. I think not allowing vaping is a disservice to people who are trying to stay off tobacco. For every vaper in a hotel, that's one more that won't be standing outside the entrance creating a smoke screen for non-smokers to walk through. Non-smokers can smell smoke 50 feet away, even farther if the breeze is right.

It's a shame we don't have 30 million vapers in our ranks. Once we do, we will represent a significant portion of the population and things will ease due to profit considerations. Every business wants to accommodate the large slice of the population and their needs. I always ask for smoking when I rent a hotel room, just to be on the safe side. If they have none, they don't get my business unless they allow vaping. If they do allow vaping, I make it clear at the outset that I will be vaping in the room and the restaurant. So far, no problems.

I guess we need to get names and speak to the manager on duty when we check in to prevent hassles over cleaning charges. A guy in my company respected the non-smoking policy of the hotel he stayed at. He went outside to smoke before bed time and since they didn't have ashtrays to put out his cigarettes, he carried the .... back to the room, rolled the filter into a ball, wet it and dropped it into a trash can. The cleaning people took the trash can to management and he got hit with a fine that corporate wouldn't approve on his company credit card. His mistake was not dropping it into an outside trash can. His cost was over $200 out of pocket.

Last edited:

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I don't see how the hotel has any legal stance to just give out fines.

A cop can't fine you himself. He can write you a ticket, in which case you go to court. Why does a hotel get to just say "You owe us money, we're taking it, nothing you can do!"? If a hotel wants to take you to court, they should be able to do that. But without a trial, just saying "We've decided you owe us hundreds of dollars, now sod off", that doesn't sit well, and I don't see how they can enforce it.

StotheK

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2011
Knoxville
www.stevevape.com
I don't see how the hotel has any legal stance to just give out fines.

A cop can't fine you himself. He can write you a ticket, in which case you go to court. Why does a hotel get to just say "You owe us money, we're taking it, nothing you can do!"? If a hotel wants to take you to court, they should be able to do that. But without a trial, just saying "We've decided you owe us hundreds of dollars, now sod off", that doesn't sit well, and I don't see how they can enforce it.

A fine might be the wrong term... in reality it's more or less a service charge to refurbish the room.

waveryder

Verified Member
Sep 4, 2011
Virginia
I can't help but post a response knowing that a bit of a stigma still exists after years of smoking. I clearly understand that many people crusade against smoking because of second hand smoke and in this case someone has taken it to a totally different level. This is nothing less than dishonesty and price gouging. Children's Hospital diagnosed breathing problems with my son 25 years ago. Even though the treatment was relatively new, they ultimately prescribed a mediation that required inhalation directly to the lungs via a "vaporizer". Even though it was somewhat uncommon then (20+ years ago) it is now a common treatment. He also used an "inhaler" during athletic competitions.
Can you imagine anyone telling me that I was going to pay $250 because of that vaporizer being used in a hotel room? When is the last time you used a steam iron in a hotel room? Were you charged for creating the "vapor"?
This issue is not about the vapor - my guess is that it is about perception by someone that is on a crusade. While some people prefer to have something that looks similar to an analog I have no such desire. I want a mod that has a good battery life and does NOT look anything like an analog (P+18350 for me). If anyone asks what my "thingy" is I simply state that it is a vaporizer. Had I been in the same situation I would have pulled out my little bottle of "Frozen Lime Drops" and told them I needed if for clearing my sinuses (I always carry a tiny bottle of 0mg "Frozen Lime Drops" when I am out). Now what is the problem? When did someone say that vapor of any kind is not permitted? That would be virtually impossible (no brewing coffee, using steam irons etc), anything less than that and we are getting into technicalities. The know this and their grasp for straws is "same as the airlines" - utter bull....!! Ask for a copy of their policies, after all, when do their specific hotel policies take precedence over the airlines and vice versa - absolutely laughable. This is about perceptions, with me it is simple - Lime vapor smells better to me than your stinking coffee aroma that I have to smell on my way through your lobby in the morning and I am no more a smoker that you are a ..... - so does that make me a smoker :)
Now - If they want to be like the airlines maybe they could even put the same detection devices in their hallways that the airlines have in their bathrooms so they will know who to charge $250 :)
I hope this person goes to the credit card and reverses the charges!!

Los Marauder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Iowa City
Thanks for the info. I am on this one. I am going to politely explain my position and opinion, based on real info, the benifits of e cigs and the buisess they can potentialy win or loose on this policy. If they respond negatively I will never again use a Marriot, if they respond positively I will be willing to use Marriots exclusively knowing They value patronage over ridiculous rules. I hope some of you help the bandwagon here. :toast: I know you will, cause us vapors are cool like that.

StotheK

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2011
Knoxville
www.stevevape.com
I just added an update to the article. Unfortunately, not a response from the hotel chain yet. This is the letter the woman received from the general manager of the SouthPark Marriott after her initial complaint.

September 2, 2011
Dear Mrs XXXX,
Thank you for taking the time to contact Marriott's Customer Care again about the charge for smoking you incurred while you were a guest at the Charlotte Marriott SouthPark.
I understand you feel that this charge is unfair because you were smoking an electronic cigarette, as opposed to a tobacco cigarette.. You did smoke in your guest room which is not permitted and is the reason why the charge was accessed to your bill.
Mrs. XXXXX, I hope this better explains the reason for the charge.. The next time your travel plans return you to the Charlotte area, we would welcome opportunity to serve as your host.
Sincerely,
XXXXX
General Manager

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
SmokingMap.jpg
" North Carolina has the most tobacco acreage by far and ranks as the 14th highest smoking state (in the US)"

http://blog.bestandworststates.com/2010/02/10/smoking-states-and-tobacco-producing-states.aspx

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
When I vape Malty Toffee, people want to know what that wonderful aroma is. There are some juices that don't have great aromas, but most are not objectionable. I think not allowing vaping is a disservice to people who are trying to stay off tobacco. For every vaper in a hotel, that's one more that won't be standing outside the entrance creating a smoke screen for non-smokers to walk through. Non-smokers can smell smoke 50 feet away, even farther if the breeze is right.

It's a shame we don't have 30 million vapers in our ranks. Once we do, we will represent a significant portion of the population and things will ease due to profit considerations. Every business wants to accommodate the large slice of the population and their needs. I always ask for smoking when I rent a hotel room, just to be on the safe side. If they have none, they don't get my business unless they allow vaping. If they do allow vaping, I make it clear at the outset that I will be vaping in the room and the restaurant. So far, no problems.

I guess we need to get names and speak to the manager on duty when we check in to prevent hassles over cleaning charges. A guy in my company respected the non-smoking policy of the hotel he stayed at. He went outside to smoke before bed time and since they didn't have ashtrays to put out his cigarettes, he carried the .... back to the room, rolled the filter into a ball, wet it and dropped it into a trash can. The cleaning people took the trash can to management and he got hit with a fine that corporate wouldn't approve on his company credit card. His mistake was not dropping it into an outside trash can. His cost was over $200 out of pocket.

Thirty million vapers or a few ...... off lawyers. Aren't there any lawyers that vape?

Last edited:

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I just added an update to the article. Unfortunately, not a response from the hotel chain yet. This is the letter the woman received from the general manager of the SouthPark Marriott after her initial complaint.

September 2, 2011
Dear Mrs XXXX,
Thank you for taking the time to contact Marriott's Customer Care again about the charge for smoking you incurred while you were a guest at the Charlotte Marriott SouthPark.
I understand you feel that this charge is unfair because you were smoking an electronic cigarette, as opposed to a tobacco cigarette.. You did smoke in your guest room which is not permitted and is the reason why the charge was accessed to your bill.
Mrs. XXXXX, I hope this better explains the reason for the charge.. The next time your travel plans return you to the Charlotte area, we would welcome opportunity to serve as your host.
Sincerely,
XXXXX
General Manager

Yea, except it wasn't smoke. Do they not let people use inhalers in the room?

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Ok. Not to be a conspiracist but do you think Southern companies want tobacco replacement? Really? They've got an interest here.

The way I see it, their interest is that they just charged this person $150 for a room for a night, and then gave themselves a $250 bonus. Since they can apparently do this without any evidence or oversight, I'd expect to see more of it. Vaping isn't really related. It could have been a non smoker, but the smoke in the hallway would still be there. It could be a smoker in the room who didn't smoke in the hotel at all, but they smell smoke (or just say they smell smoke) and see a pack of cigs, they can charge him.

It's a scam, nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread