Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Hey all I have 1 fully charged never used battery that I charged a week ago and I’m getting more soon can I marry the fully charged battery when I get the other battery in a dual regulated mod? Should I try to charge the fully charged battery when I get the other one?
How old is the never-used battery?
18650 Date Code Lookup Tool

Is it a series or parallel mod?

How hard will you be running them?

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
You can, as long as you have a valid marriage license, and the ceremony is properly officiated. Not many people can officiate battery weddings. I can, but I charge $100/hour + travel expenses.

Seriously as long as both batteries are the same type/brand/model and the "never used" battery hasn't been sitting in a drawer for a year it should be fine. Especially if you aren't planning on running them at their bleeding edge limits.

Last edited:

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
Hey all I have 1 fully charged never used battery that I charged a week ago and I’m getting more soon can I marry the fully charged battery when I get the other battery in a dual regulated mod? Should I try to charge the fully charged battery when I get the other one?

In one of Mooch's recent youtube video's he recommends to buy a married pair at the same time so they are more likely to be from the same manufacturer's batch. There's no guarantee they are but by buying both at the same time you increase the likelihood that they are.

The fact that you cannot lookup the date code is of concern. I don't know where your bought the battery but if I couldn't look up the date code I would be disinclined to marry it to another VTC5a.

Not saying you can't buy another VTC5a and marry it to the older one (you can do as you like), just passing on some of Mooch's advice.

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Gotcha maybe I’m using batterybros tool wrong? Where are the 4 digits located on the battery to enter in? Lot of text on the battery itself.

Use the Date Code Lookup Tool that @Rossum linked to above. With Sony, it will be two letters and two numbers. The tool shows you exactly where to look to find the code. :)

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Gotcha maybe I’m using batterybros tool wrong? Where are the 4 digits located on the battery to enter in? Lot of text on the battery itself.

Sorry, just to clarify: it's the bottom line of the two lines of numbers/letters at the end. Discard the last letter and it is the previous combination of two letters with two numbers.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I do my very best to marry my batteries from the start. I think as others have said, well best practice is to start with two batteries, ordered together, and used together as well. However if cost is an issue, I do think you'd probably be fine adding another battery to the one you have, if it hasn't seen much use. Ideally, if you can get one from the same batch, well, that reduces one unknown variable.

However, provided you don't plan to use it in an unprotected mod, I'm inclined to think it would be fine. However, if you have a vape you are currently using the battery in (a single battery mod I guess) I might consider saving that battery for that mod, and just getting two new and paired from the start. This is, of course, assuming you want to continue using that mod.

Also, keep in mind, I am just a person on the internet, and best practice is to marry virgin batteries (hopefully one of them knows what they're doing, LOL) and keep them that way.

So ultimately, you will have to decide if this is a safe practice for you. I can only say that BEST practice is to marry from the start, and I tend to try and use best practices with batteries, they are are the single most important factor in vaping, IMO, as you really can't vape successfully if something blows up, I am not at all saying that yours won't do that if you used one a few cycles before marrying it, I find it somewhat unlikely, but I do generally tend to recommend best practices concerning batteries.

Best of luck deciding,

Anna

Lateralus839

Aug 19, 2017
Thanks for the help and the link to Mooch’s video I think I’ll pass on marrying those batteries and only buy in pairs and charge them up at once also I checked the manufacturer date on my battery and it’s over a year ago on April 9 2017 what would be the cutoff for batteries you buy from a trusted vendor to exchange them?

EDIT: the government safety laws being written up kinda scares me lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread