• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Mastering the perfect coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minzy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2014
Syonando
Hi all,

Newbie alert here.but just wondering how long did it take u guys to master making the perfect coil?? Also, looking through youtube vids and stuff there are like insanely many types of coil variations!

So kinda stuck on which variation to start with or i should just stick to the basics and master the micro coil first

TIA!:)

i think micro and nano coils are more than enough.

nuvole

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2014
Sillypore
Depending on the type of toy you are playing with.

Genny with mesh can be difficult as you have to make sure the coil the touching the mesh.
Micro coil with cotton, you have to use the right amount of cotton to not to choke the wicking system.
Micro coil with silica is the most east, you just wrap the coil on the silica.

zmczmc

Dec 14, 2014
Depending on the type of toy you are playing with.

Genny with mesh can be difficult as you have to make sure the coil the touching the mesh.
Micro coil with cotton, you have to use the right amount of cotton to not to choke the wicking system.
Micro coil with silica is the most east, you just wrap the coil on the silica.

alright will take note on that cotton..working with it now:) thanks!

Sigmazxcs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
The Land of ERP and Pee-A-Pee
No need for fancy tools. I just use those cheapo $2 flat needle nose and round tip pliers. My builds are all macro coils, about 3mm diameter, 26gauge, 8 to 12 wraps depending on my liking. Get them nice and tight, but be careful of flexing during your first dry burn of the coil. Cotton, I'm using those you pay $1.50 for 100 pieces. Didn't give two hoots about organic either.

loll88

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2014
hmm never tried ceramic ones before, just pulse and compress, dug up some from my toolbox, for screwdrivers I use those set where they actually state the size like how many mm for this and that can get it from daiso I think or any of those "good price center", they come with a base too so after wrapping, just tug both tail ends of the wires then press it against the base. I actually use those small scissors for nostrils hair to compress my coils before. of course I cleanse it before using. lol

@sigmazxcs if you ever pass by muji, since they're pretty much everywhere, get their cut cotton, those off whites looking cotton pads with some speckles in it cost $3.30, really really good and just a tiny strip would do, usually I cut about 1.5 times the size of my coils and stuff it in and never goes wrong(learnt it somewhere here I think), I don't remove the top layer as well, before this I also use those $1.50 cotton but this muji .... is good man.

Fuzzy Bruce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Fort Liquordale, Fl.
Sometimes, my coils are not pretty, but they work. I found that leaving the wire on the spool and using a lot of tension really helps make the coil work properly. All the tension lessons the need to use tweezers or pliers to compress the coil.

If hot legs are seen, I just use the screwdriver the coil is wrapped on to make a sawing motion in the coil and the hot spots go away.

Darkangel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2013
Gotham City
No need for fancy tools. I just use those cheapo $2 flat needle nose and round tip pliers. My builds are all macro coils, about 3mm diameter, 26gauge, 8 to 12 wraps depending on my liking. Get them nice and tight, but be careful of flexing during your first dry burn of the coil. Cotton, I'm using those you pay $1.50 for 100 pieces. Didn't give two hoots about organic either.

I used to getting cheap cotton balls at the pharmacy at $1.05/pk last me a whole month or more till got my hands on KGD cotton, one pad last me more than 2 weeks, changing wicks every empty tank

Got it at Tokyo hands @$15/pk. Though it is expensive, but Vape and vapor quality improved

Worth the try! I still using the cheap cotton for my dripper or some other tank, not totally given up on cheap cotton. KGD cotton, I find it best with thick VG juices, wicking is good unlike the pharmacy cotton. For light juice, high PG I like to use pharmacy cotton

Sent from Gotham City using Tapatalk

DragonSG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
No need to master. Wrapping the perfect micro coil is easier than wrapping tobacco, lol.

Just wrap normally with minimal gaps around a 2mm screw driver or any diameter you wish (usually 1.5 - 3.5mm), push it together, use a plier to hold the coils (recommended min 30 AWG and below), use blow torch to heat coil to red hot for around ten secs, then bingo, a perfect coil. run under tap water to cool it, dap to dry. all done within secs.

If u are using RDA, then the coil spacing might be loosen after mount, then just simply fire the coil using your mod to red hot, stop and use a tweezer to compress then let go, then re-fire and repeat process 3-4 times. Just use a normal steel tweezers will do, to squeeze immediately after firing stop. Not necessary to use ceramic ones.

Ceramic tweezers' (with ceramic tips) advantage is that you can fire and squeeze the coils at the same time without shorting it and melt the coils. But most people after using ceramic coils also end up using it like steel tweezers, LOL, which defeat the purpose, reason being, ceramic will break after you trigger-happy squeezing for long time under heat while firing, so LPPL, just use a freaking solid steel tweezer, unless you wish to appear 'Pro' while making Youtube vapings, LOL.

These will be the simplest, easiest, fastest, most effective way to do it by pros, rest don't waste time (totally no need to use complex coiling jig to tighten, align here n there, etc.).

If you should use a coiling jig, just get a simple one such as below will do. As in many things in life, Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication, same for Vaping. (Don't ask me where to get, just google, order and you will receive in less than two weeks, with free shipping, super cheap.)
2032001-4-thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: macis

AlvinK

Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
hmm never tried ceramic ones before, just pulse and compress, dug up some from my toolbox, for screwdrivers I use those set where they actually state the size like how many mm for this and that can get it from daiso I think or any of those "good price center", they come with a base too so after wrapping, just tug both tail ends of the wires then press it against the base. I actually use those small scissors for nostrils hair to compress my coils before. of course I cleanse it before using. lol

@sigmazxcs if you ever pass by muji, since they're pretty much everywhere, get their cut cotton, those off whites looking cotton pads with some speckles in it cost $3.30, really really good and just a tiny strip would do, usually I cut about 1.5 times the size of my coils and stuff it in and never goes wrong(learnt it somewhere here I think), I don't remove the top layer as well, before this I also use those $1.50 cotton but this muji .... is good man.

Bro are you referring these?
MUJI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread