Material for contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smeef

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Williamsport, PA
Need everyone's advice. Going to be ordering a Floris mech bottom feeder. I'm getting parts around for it and I'm on the fence about the thickness for the contact strip.

I'll be using hardened copper sheeting to keep some spring to it. I'm thinking 1mm thick.

I would like to know what others have used and how it has worked. I know I'm using copper, so mainly I need ideas on thickness.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: minimalsaint

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
This is the $40K question among folks building these and similar setups.
I tested a few different thicknesses of beryllium copper and landed on .010 thickness for my contacts. I did this for several reasons, probably the main one being that it still gives good conductivity and a "light" feel to the button.
So, more-or-less it was my personal preference that made my final decision.
I think a 9"x12" piece ran me about $25 and I can get a lot of contacts from that sheet alone, even with my misadventures and learning curve taking some of it up.
Speaking only in personal opinions, 1mm is overkill but it depends on how you want your layout to perform overall, not just in terms of voltage carried.
I finished my first orca last night and will post a build thread soon, it will explain a bit further why I did what I did specific to "my" device so it functions as I'd intended.
Surprisingly, I resisted the urge to smash one together as quickly as possible and thought it out a bit. The end result is well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread