May I bring e liquid with small amount of nicotine into Australia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
It’s complicated man. Where are you coming from btw?
Also worth you having a look here and it outlines the different state (I think it’s called) legislation.
Strange business in Oz, have a read
Are Electronic Cigarettes Legal in Australia? - Infographic

Nic is fine in some places, legal to import in others, illegal to sell in some & illegal for use in others. Full stop I think.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Australia is a commonwealth, so it is going to matter what your port of entry is and etc. Different states can have widely different laws, but really the laws of the Commonwealth are going to govern entry/exit I think.

Could look at this: State and territory government | australia.gov.au

Honestly, if you are very concerned, contact your nearest Australian Ambassador (an email should work). Just clearly state your concerns and ask, and I'm fairly certain they'll be able to give you a definitive answer. Some states are more friendly to vaping than other in Aus, but when it comes to entering the country I think Commonwealth rules are going to trump State rules. How friendly/accepting airports are in Aus for a short visit is probably going to depend, but if you get a clear summation of the law, that would probably be the best way to put yourself at ease.

Anna

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
writing this as an aussie, kicking back vaping in 90 F weather

you'll be fine is the bottom line

it is technically illegal, but not enforced at all

you can freely show and discuss eliquid with nic to airport customs and security staff

just be sure to bring enough for your whole stay, or stay in a hotel that will allow you to receive mail from new zealand, since importing is how we get our nicotine here

:)

Yong_123

Jan 26, 2018
It’s complicated man. Where are you coming from btw?
Also worth you having a look here and it outlines the different state (I think it’s called) legislation.
Strange business in Oz, have a read

Nic is fine in some places, legal to import in others, illegal to sell in some & illegal for use in others. Full stop I think.

Hi mate, thanks a lot! I am from China, and will import at Victoria. According to your web, it seems the importing nicotine for personal use is legal. However, I do not know how to prove it is for personal use. Any comments?

Reactions: stols001

Yong_123

Jan 26, 2018
Australia is a commonwealth, so it is going to matter what your port of entry is and etc. Different states can have widely different laws, but really the laws of the Commonwealth are going to govern entry/exit I think.

Could look at this: State and territory government | australia.gov.au

Honestly, if you are very concerned, contact your nearest Australian Ambassador (an email should work). Just clearly state your concerns and ask, and I'm fairly certain they'll be able to give you a definitive answer. Some states are more friendly to vaping than other in Aus, but when it comes to entering the country I think Commonwealth rules are going to trump State rules. How friendly/accepting airports are in Aus for a short visit is probably going to depend, but if you get a clear summation of the law, that would probably be the best way to put yourself at ease.

Anna

Hi Anna, thanks a lot! It seems Victoria is more friendly.

Yong_123

Jan 26, 2018
writing this as an aussie, kicking back vaping in 90 F weather

you'll be fine is the bottom line

it is technically illegal, but not enforced at all

you can freely show and discuss eliquid with nic to airport customs and security staff

just be sure to bring enough for your whole stay, or stay in a hotel that will allow you to receive mail from new zealand, since importing is how we get our nicotine here

:)
Hi mate, thanks! It seems the importing nicotine for personal use is legal in Victoria. May I assume no troubles?

• Agree

Yong_123

Jan 26, 2018

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Thanks for the quick answer. According to the below web, it seems the importing nicotine for personal use is legal for most states. Are there some misunderstaning?

lots get their info wrog

nicotine is classed as a schedule 7 dangerous poison under the federal poisons code

different states regulate these different, but victoria prohibits it

you'll still get it fine by mail, since the mail system is federal, it is just illegal once you hold it

• Informative

Yong_123

Jan 26, 2018
lots get their info wrog

nicotine is classed as a schedule 7 dangerous poison under the federal poisons code

different states regulate these different, but victoria prohibits it

you'll still get it fine by mail, since the mail system is federal, it is just illegal once you hold it

Got it. Thanks! If there are no troubles, I will bring it by myself.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Hi mate, thanks a lot! I am from China, and will import at Victoria. According to your web, it seems the importing nicotine for personal use is legal. However, I do not know how to prove it is for personal use. Any comments?

Hi. It’s best for me not to as I don’t know much about it.
At least a true Aussie can give some helpful tips.

Let us know if you enjoy your $15000 trip ;)

• Agree

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
How long has nic been illegal in Australia [emoji58]. Why is it illegal?

since around 2008

ecigs were really underground then, so government changed the poisons classification as a knee-jerk reaction, and we've been trying to get it reversed ever since

mick500

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
Australia
As an Aussie, I wouldn't bring anything through the airport that you shouldn't be, I believe they will just confiscate it but why risk it.

The law here is that it's illegal to sell it (so no bricks and mortar stores can sell nic in their juices) but not illegal to import it for personal use. Personal use is classified as a 3 month supply. So just place an order to arrive around the time you arrive at your hotel or wherever you'e staying.

That's my ununderstanding and advice.

Australia has gone backwards in every regard , we are behind in everything, show no initiative and wait to see what the rest of the world does first when it comes to anything. Then we legislate the crap out of it . Think uber. The govt. And taxis didn' l it so they make uber have a surchare similar to taxis to keep the taxis competitive. Relevance? I dunno. Lol. End rant.

• Useful

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I would like to bring 100ml e liquid with 3mg nicotine in my check-in luggage to Australia.
Hi @Tong; and welcome to ECF!:D

When I was traveling internationally (though never to Australia :(); I would only carry what I needed for the day (maybe a second day too; if layovers were likely). The remainder of my e-liquid, needed for the duration of my trip, stayed in my checked bags. So this meant I only had 10-20mL of e-liquid in my carry-on. I never had an inspector question it, let alone threaten to confiscate it.

LillithRM

Feb 3, 2018
Well technically 'they' havent really decided how to regulate nicotine although its seen as a tobacco product its not yet taxed as such or confiscated from individual persons - many are however working towards medicalizing it and limiting it from between 20- 36mg - because of whaddabout the children and medical pharma knows best - Now - After all of that Im just over it theoretical politics aside

My daughter last year traveled from here in Aus to Huston USA and back again with her 24mg eliquid with no problem -

A couple of weeks ago she went from here to Japan and back again with no issue or real questions

But she did pull her set up apart - bag it all separately and she had some of the stuff in her carry on and some in her main luggage - she uses a cuboid mini - Some of the staff at the airport you may find even vape too

Its unlikely you will run into any issues over eliquid at the airport yet - If you carry snus - you may be taxed very very heavily for it - IQOS although not allowed seems to be making its way over to Australia too (Although at twice the price you would expect to normally pay - its $200 aud a kit if you know where to look) - go figure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread