Not open for further replies.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Yesterday in another thread spraintz provided the folowing link:

Mesh/Cotton hybrid wick Bluegrasslover's method - YouTube

It shows you how to make a hybrid ss mesh/cotton wick. This hybrid wick makes setting up a genesis style atomizer in the traditional way of wrapping coils completely foolproof. No more hotspots to worry about and the taste is just like a well set up genesis IMO. The only problem is once you set it up...you are stuck. You can't clean the coils by dry burns. You can't change the cotton unless you redo the coil. You can't clean the wick unless you redo the coil.

The best way to setup a genesis style atomizer with ss mesh is by the Petar K method. Here is the link:

Unoxidized SetUp - Tutorial on Vimeo

The great thing about this method is you get perfect coils using a drill bit. You size your wick to the coil. And once set up...you can easily remove the wick so you can do dry burns and you can clean the wick. But this is not a foolproof method.

BY combining both methods you can have the best of both worlds....the easiest setup with the ability to maintain your coils and wick.

SO make the perfect coil using the Petar K method. When you roll your wick....roll it to a point that it is just tiny bit too thin and falls through the coil. Now add little bit of cotton to the wick in the area where it is going to be in contact with the coil (see video in first link). Add some eliquid to cotton and slide the hybrid wick through the coil. This time the wick won't fall through because of the cotton. Vape away!!! I think you will agree that the vape is amazing.

PS Look at how Petar wraps his coils super tight and very compact....he does 7 wraps in about 3mm of space. I highly recommend this. The coil puts all the heat in a small area of the wick...you get a more intense, hotter and more flavorful vape. Also the coil becomes self cleaning.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
I have been using gennys for several months now and my preferred method is the Petar K "drill Bit" system. I came across this a couple months ago and it has streamlined the whole experience for me. From the initial setup to the maintenance end of things. It eliminates 90% of shorts or hotspots just by its nature. Fitting the wick to the coil allows for extremely simple cleaning for those of us that use dark juices that gunk up fast. Fire a gunked up coil/wick a few times till the gunk is soft enough to slip the wick out. Hit the wick w a lighter or torch. Dry burn the coil a bit to clean it. Then I like to apply a few drops of juice to the wick, give it a few rolls to fluff it up then tighten it back down to size. Reinsert it into the atty. Inside of 5 mins the setup is as good as when it was initially installed.
I have used Quigsworth's method of applying cotton to the wick. Quigs is the fellow who made the video in the link provided. Great idea Quigs ;) I don't care for the short lifespan of that setup. It also requires wrapping new coils every couple of days (in my vape situation) as oppose to just a quick cleaning.

I have not tried the unoxidized setup yet. That is for sure on the agenda.

Happy Holidays

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
The way I am proposing to set up the hybrid wick you can slide the hybrid wick out and glow the coils, do dry burns and clean or replace the cotton....without doing the coil all over again. It is just that by using the cotton it will make things foolproof. It doesn't effect the vape in anyway. I am hoping to help people who are having a hard time with their setups using the drill bit or any other method.

BTW I don't oxidize my wicks even when using the Petar K method without the cotton....with the cotton you definitely don't need to oxidize your wicks.

Edit: I wanted to mention that my current wick is very short...so I was having a hard time with the wicking when it came to the last third of liquid in the tank even when tilting. With the cotton no problem with the wicking even till the last drop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread