Status
Not open for further replies.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
I agree with the above, I have always heard that oil is bad. Citrus oil would be bad, but it does make me wonder what they put in the citrus you buy as flavoring from other vendors?

Until you hear different, I would really just say no. Not worth taking a chance. Hopefully someone else will come along who has a bit more experience than I do, but until I hear from a veteran DIY'er, I would never do it.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I want to introduce myself to DIY juice soon. Is it OK to use pure flavorings from McCormick, i.e., orange, lemon, anise?

If not, where do I buy oil flavorings, NOT intimation stuff?

McC's stuff is actually regarded as weak and would require more than most other flavorings to get a good taste. I don't know any long term mixers that use it regularly.

I've used mint oils and anise oil from Loranns for quite awhile. There are some mixing issues with higher VG mixes. There is some joker that has been on forums for awhile...Roly...Roly"something"... that stated he vaped a DIY mint oil mix for 9 months straight. He just resigned as the manager of ECF, so if you can find ECF, you might be able to look him up.

Orange oil hasn't bugged me either, but it does do a number on prestressed plastics and expands natural rubber compounds. Thankfully I'm not made of either and neither is my usual vaping equipment. The one thing I dislike about orange oil is that it is a devil to mix and that has been enough to keep me from using it for quite awhile. (It takes a few weeks in a vibration contraption I made to get it to mix and the noise sets the wife on edge after a few days of that rattling.) Never tried lemon oil, but I suspect that it will act almost identical to orange oil since both come from the peel of a fruit in the same family.

There are oils to avoid. Veggy oils, mineral oils, and any oil that has large molecular structure like from a number of fruits.

Many folks extract the oils out of coffee and tea and use those to mix juice, but I've never given that a try as I don't want to waste my good tea and I dislike coffee.

For oils, there is Lorann's and there are a few from TPA/TFA.

Actually for beginners I usually suggest Capella's as they are very forgiving and easier than most to make a good mix with. They have one called Sweet Tangerine that isn't an oil, but is a great flavor for making an orange like juice that doesn't have a children's asprin bite. (It also skips level 7, so that makes it much easier to get an indication of mixing for yourself.)

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
McC's stuff is actually regarded as weak and would require more than most other flavorings to get a good taste. I don't know any long term mixers that use it regularly.

I've used mint oils and anise oil from Loranns for quite awhile. There are some mixing issues with higher VG mixes. There is some joker that has been on forums for awhile...Roly...Roly"something"... that stated he vaped a DIY mint oil mix for 9 months straight. He just resigned as the manager of ECF, so if you can find ECF, you might be able to look him up.

Orange oil hasn't bugged me either, but it does do a number on prestressed plastics and expands natural rubber compounds. Thankfully I'm not made of either and neither is my usual vaping equipment. The one thing I dislike about orange oil is that it is a devil to mix and that has been enough to keep me from using it for quite awhile. (It takes a few weeks in a vibration contraption I made to get it to mix and the noise sets the wife on edge after a few days of that rattling.) Never tried lemon oil, but I suspect that it will act almost identical to orange oil since both come from the peel of a fruit in the same family.

There are oils to avoid. Veggy oils, mineral oils, and any oil that has large molecular structure like from a number of fruits.

Many folks extract the oils out of coffee and tea and use those to mix juice, but I've never given that a try as I don't want to waste my good tea and I dislike coffee.

For oils, there is Lorann's and there are a few from TPA/TFA.

Actually for beginners I usually suggest Capella's as they are very forgiving and easier than most to make a good mix with. They have one called Sweet Tangerine that isn't an oil, but is a great flavor for making an orange like juice that doesn't have a children's asprin bite. (It also skips level 7, so that makes it much easier to get an indication of mixing for yourself.)

Thank you again, Hoosier. I appreciate informative answers as opposed to what I call combatant answers, such as "why would you want to use this"?

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
Thank you again, Hoosier. I appreciate informative answers as opposed to what I call combatant answers, such as "why would you want to use this"?

Hi again, sorry if you thought I was being combative. I had always heard not to, and was kind of concerned for you. That is why I said I hoped someone with experience could give you better information, but meanwhile I thought it more prudent to err on the side of caution. I felt a quick answer would be more useful than your lungs being corroded or whatever might have happened, plus I had never heard of anyone using McCormick. I am glad Hoosier was able to enlighten us.

@Hoosier: you crack me up! Your wife was set on edge after a few DAYS? And it takes a few WEEKS to mix? I think I will try that sweet tangerine if I ever have the urge to vape citrus! Sounds like I can avoid any edgy family members. :lol:

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
Hi again, sorry if you thought I was being combative. I had always heard not to, and was kind of concerned for you. That is why I said I hoped someone with experience could give you better information, but meanwhile I thought it more prudent to err on the side of caution. I felt a quick answer would be more useful than your lungs being corroded or whatever might have happened, plus I had never heard of anyone using McCormick. I am glad Hoosier was able to enlighten us.

@Hoosier: you crack me up! Your wife was set on edge after a few DAYS? And it takes a few WEEKS to mix? I think I will try that sweet tangerine if I ever have the urge to vape citrus! Sounds like I can avoid any edgy family members. :lol:

I didn't intend to flame you, and hope you didn't take it that way. Reading text is different than person to person talk, and sometimes things can be miss construed on the internet.

I'm certainly not going to try anything before I'm sure of it's properties! I want, and need experienced information. I've heard of using McCormick's, so that's why I asked, not being convinced of it. Hoosier said it is weak.

I prefer things that are tart, as opposed to gooey sweet. Everyone's taste buds are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread