Me and my SM3 Semovar - trip into Variable Wattage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
Ok, so I've owned the SM3 Semovar for a few weeks now, and basically ONLY used the VV setting on it. Which was kind of a waste if you ask me, because in terms and quite frankly, the VV setting just seems to be somewhat weaker than that of the ProVari. So, I made the jump, granted the Nivel Chip is currently capped at 15W with a 3.0-3.5A limit (subject to change based on coils as sometimes I can get a coil to run at 0.8 Ohms, other times I can't get anything below 1.1 Ohms), so I figured I'd play around with the VW settings and see what I prefer. And let me tell you, I'm blown away. A bit more about the SM3 Semovar follows this crazy experience into the VW settings, and WHY I'm beginning to enjoy my SM3 Semovar over my ProVari.

So last night before bed, I had pulled up the vaping power chart - I read it backwards, set the Wattage to 3.0 and tried to fire - E3 (Cannot fire at selected setting - resistance too high / too low). Pushed it to 5.0 - Same error. Pushed it to 9.0 - Fired for a second - E3 followed by E1 (E1 - short circuit - check atomizer for short circuit - unable to fire - resistance too low). Adjusted to 10 - fired just fine. Adjusted to 10.5 - fired - warmer and more flavor hit than 10. Set to 11, 11.5, 12, 12.5, 13, 13.5, 14, 14.5, and finally 15. All with the same experience with the exception of 1 thing - the nic hit. The nic hit at 15W compared to the lower seemed to me to be more pronounced, more heavy, and in all honesty, got me high. The flavor, vapor, and throat hit seemed to get better at higher watts than the previous settings, so I tried it on a rather tasteless (in my opinion) liquid and I was blown the !@#$ away. Literally speaking, my jaw hit the floor, it fell off my face and hit the floor. Now with my very small understanding of VV / VW, with VV, you can set it to one, and will more than likely need to adjust with a different resistance every time. Whereas VW, you set it and forget it. As it will "automatically" adjust the voltage as needed. In all honesty - if it's wrong, then it's wrong. No need to kill the messenger about it - but back to what I was saying. So I maxed out the VW setting on my SM3 and I'm loving it. Absolutely LOVING IT! Again, the taste is UNBELIEVABLE, nicotine delivery is absolutely INSANE, and the throat hit is at times unbearable, but I'm going to leave it set for 15. Which is making me kind of want to get the DNA30 chip that I can push to 30W. The only issue I can see with the DNA30 is that it doesn't come in very many tube mods, which to me, is kind of a turn off. Granted, I could probably get some stainless steel, toss it on a lathe of some sort, or throw it on a CNC, cut it into a tube large enough to house a DNA30, an 18650, and craft a 510 threaded adapter with some form of contact pin and VOILA, be done with it, but to me, that's more work than I need it to be. Enough with all that nonsense. In short, I'm really loving this SM3 even more than I did before. The way it works in VW mode just amazes me. And in all honesty - where the ProVari has it down as far as VV is concerned - I got to give credit to Svoe Mesto - their device is definitely something worth taking a look at.

Now onto the full specification of the SM3 Semovar - where I got it, what happened to it when I got it, why I like it (or better yet love it), and what it's totally capable of if Svoe Mesto does what they say they're going to do.

So here we are, ordered my SM3 Semovar from Vape Rev and anxiously awaited it's arrival. When it arrived I was still waiting on my kayfun Lite+ so I really had nothing to put on it with the exception of my Aerotank. Now, my experience with the Aerotank had been sub par with the E1 issue without using an o-ring off a dead Kanger head - so I slapped a ring on the bottom of it, screwed it onto my Semovar, put a fresh battery into it, tried to fire it at 3.7V on a 2.0 Ohm dual coil, and I was awakened by an E3 error followed by the hint of blue smoke - my Nivel Chip had burned up. I was furious, so I pulled up some info on the internet to find that I wasn't the ONLY one to have this issue. A bunch of folks were suffering from the same thing, so I contacted the seller, sent the Semovar back with specific instructions to replace the ENTIRE device, or just the chip, and return it to me. And to my surprise, they did just that, they sent my Semovar back with a brand new chip in it. And it worked, I was impressed with the speed of service, the professional 'can do' attitude of the folks up there in California. By the time my Semovar had returned, my Kayfun Lite+ had arrived the day I sent the Semovar in for repairs, so I was waiting to see how the dynamic duo looked and performed, so I did what I did previously with the Aerotank, I screwed the Kayfun onto the Semovar, fresh battery loaded, set my voltage, and off I vaped, and I was happy. Then I read more into the Semovar - looked at the instruction (or destruction) manual to find out that Svoe Mesto has BIG plans for the Semovar - not only can it be a regulated mod, but an UNREGULATED mod with a choice of battery sizes, top cones, MECHANICAL SWITCH, ELECTRICAL SWITCH, sticker, KICK EXTENSION, etc. That is what I'm waiting to see. The parts and pieces in all caps aren't available yet, but man is the thought of turning my Semovar into a mechanical device making me drool. Can you even FATHOM the thought of unscrewing the Nivel Control Body, threading the top cap or cone directly into the battery tube, and smashing a mechanical button? I never thought it was possible, but after taking a look at a picture I found floating around, the Semovar looks like it's capable of not just a handful of possibilities, but hundreds. HUNDREDS! Do I work for Svoe Mesto? No. Do I like the idea of replacing my battery cap with a mechanical button, slapping a dripper on it, and tooting away? ABSOLUTELY! I wonder is these guys will design a dripper and a genesis style atomizer that fits right on top of the Semovar. I don't know, but I'd love to see what's next out of these guys! :D

marc42

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
United Kingdom
Great post.
Love my V3's too so you got it to fire a 0.8Ohm?
says minimum of 1 in the manual, I guess measurement accuracy could play a part there.
I am with you on the modular construction, lots of nice quality parts that are easy to swap.
if anything wears or goes bang , just pop on/in a spare.
Lets hope Svoemesto keep up the good work and build a solid long term business to support their growing band of customer/fans.
:D

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
I agree, it has been a treat to own this mod, with the exception of the 1 issue I had with it (bad chip), I can honestly say when it works, it works great. And I couldn't agree with you more, I do hope Svoe Mesto continues to produce the parts for this thing. It is definitely worth the money as long as they keep producing the parts for it. Like the mechanical button, the unregulated electric switch, the Kick / Kick 2 extension, etc. If SM gives up on this device right now, I will be utterly disappointed. But SM has already stated that they want 'THE PERFECT' device - and I believe they can do it if they keep improving the current device.

About the 0.8 Ohm coil, yes it fired it, and I used that coil for a day or so and it finally popped. I don't know what happened with it or why it overheated, but I found that like almost any device, they can be exactly the same, from construction to firmware, etc. But some devices will do completely different things than others. Folks thought that I was joking when I went into building sub-ohm coils on regulated devices like the SM3's and ProVari, yet I could hook them up to a resistance tester and the eyes would grow large. As long as you don't trip the Amp-Limiter, you could technically fire whatever resistance you want on whatever regulated device you want. Granted the "Firmware" or "Software" doesn't have some imbeded code that says "REFUSE TO FIRE BELOW 1.0 OHM" Also note that there for awhile I couldn't fire a lot of coils below 1.1 Ohm, be it a short, a limit, etc on this particular device. After using it awhile I'm able to fire coils at 0.8 Ohms.

Last edited:

locomikey5150

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
Great post on vw for the Semovar! I just picked one up at Vaperev a few days ago (fortunately they're only about 5 minutes away from me), and so far I love it. I also have a Provari, and up until reading your post, I hadn't messed with the vw option since I'm familiar with vv. I'm hesitant to start at 15 in case I blow the chip, but I have it set at 12 and am liking the vape on my KFL+ a lot (I mean a lot!). I'm also finding that the vape is still pretty darn good on a protank3. Let me know if you have any other tips on wattage to share, and vape on (subscribed to this thread)!

On a side note, while I love my Provari for being out and about, the Semovar has become my go-to while I'm at home. Part of that reason is the flexi-sleeve I have on the Provari from serenitygear.com, which I highly recommend, so I think it may be time to hit up the owner and see if I can convince him to make one for the samovar. :) Here's a quick snap of my devices:

20140413_114359.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread