Mech build question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hello veterans, mech question. Fairly new to this, I’ve had a Dreamer with a 30T for about 3 months. I got 6 core Aliens at .10 I love it. Just picked up a 18650 mod with a Samsung 20 . I got a .15 but it’s not enough power. My question is, will 6 core .10 be ok in the 18650 with a Samsung 20?
Hi,
That is a lot of metal to heat up with a single unregulated 18650.
What is the AWG of the cores?
Are you running single or dual coils.

What is the amp draw of your build?
What is the amp limit of the Sammy 20?
If the draw is 80% or greater than the cells limit choose a different battery or build with more resistance.

I would suggest a regulated, dual or triple battery device if you will be using high mass, low ohm builds.

Cheers
I

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Hello veterans, mech question. Fairly new to this, I’ve had a Dreamer with a 30T for about 3 months. I got 6 core Aliens at .10 I love it. Just picked up a 18650 mod with a Samsung 20 . I got a .15 but it’s not enough power. My question is, will 6 core .10 be ok in the 18650 with a Samsung 20?
You need to learn to use Ohm's Law buddy or you could become a statistic on the evening news. I'm serious.
Explain it to the Vape Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations for a Mechanical Mod

• The Samsung 20S is a 30 amp continuous discharge rated 18650 battery.
  • A 0.1 ohm coil will attempt to draw 42 amps from a battery, which is a whopping 12 amps more than any 30 amp battery has. It's also 7 amps over what a 35 amp battery has.
  • There are no 18650 batteries with a genuine rating over 30A!
  • Battery pulse ratings are useless! | E-Cigarette Forum
  • Using those 0.1 ohm coils on a single battery mechanical would be considered misuse/abuse of that battery.
  • Coils that low in resistance should only be used on a dual battery regulated mod.
  • The absolute lowest ohm build you can use with a single 30 amp battery is 0.14 ohm, and that doesn't include any extra margin of safety.
  • If that's not enough power for you, you need to use a dual or triple battery mod.

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
4.2v/ .10 = 42a
4.2v/ .15 = 28a

It is never a wise idea or safe to exceed any cells CDR.

Not trying to be rude, asking a question like this demonstrates you don't have the knowledge & experience neccesary to push the upper boundaries of safe mechanical usage.
Best to use coils in that ohm range & mass on a regulated device until you understand what you're doing & why.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Simple answer:
No.

Reactions: sonicbomb

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
IMHO, 0.10ohm will not be OK on a mech period. I actually tested this a while back, (without using an actual mech because I like my face where it is). Thread got past 7 pages with at least one full on flame war in the middle. It’s totally unreadable.

The digest version is small non scientific grade ohm meters don’t actually measure to a hundredth of an ohm, they just read out like they do. The actual reading will vary by a few hundredths to either side. If you’re above even 0.2ohm this doesn’t matter much, but as you approach dead short (which 0.1ohm approaches) that few hundredths of an ohm starts to really matter on a single battery mech. I put in a pair of coils preset and mechanically measured to be 0.1ohm. My meter read anything from 1.16 to 0.6.

If you want to vape those coils it can be done, but you need a large powerful device in order to make sure you have enough safety margin. I used a legend with high drain LG Browns. It really was a nicer vape than I was expecting.

• Agree
Reactions: charlie1465
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread