Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabolee

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2015
Philadelphia
Hey guys,
I started off vaping with a kanger evod twist and loved it. Later, as I wanted to get into dripping, I invested in a vaporshark DNA40. I have to say I love it so much. The size is perfect for me, and doesn't get in the way when I stick it in my pocket. And the nickel wire builds are outstanding in my opinion.
But now that I have been vaping for about 6 months, I am interested in getting a mech mod. I know there are a ton out there, and I don't want to ask that annoying question "which is the best for a first mech?" I understand that there is not one absolute best mod. People have different tastes and ideas for what makes something great. So ignore that question.

What I am looking for is a mech that is very durable. I spend a lot of time outdoors. I hike, walk a lot, and will be a field biologist when I graduate school. So what I am looking for is something that can take a beating. Being in the field that much means I will get caught in the rain. At my last job I fell in a stream that was about 12 feet deep. Luckily I was still smoking cigs then, so I just lost a few dollars in them. if I had my DNA40 and the chip got that wet, I would have been furious. It got me thinking, "what about next time?" There will be a next time.
So I am looking for advice on a mech that isn't fancy, but not just a boring tube. I like the look of the Panzer, but can't afford an authentic right now. And since it's my first mech, I'd probably like to try a clone before I pick drop the money on the real deal. if I like it, that is what I plan on doing.

Any advice?

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
What type of atty do you use?
Kanger tanks and and non rebuildables aren't the best combos for mechs.
Go with RTAs or RBAs for a better result.

That said, SuperT has a sale on their workhorse mod.
Low priced, super durable SS, and built very very well.

As for clones,
Kings,chi you's, launcher, turtleship, gus, panzer, astro, and nemesis clones in SS are pretty solid devices.
that are easy to set up and use.
I can vouch for all of them personally.
;)

UnclePsyko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
PJNY
Seeing you like the box factor, like dripping and want something indestructible... have you considered the Reo?
I know they may be a bit out of your price range, but Reos are extremely durable, and being a bottom fed dripper, it sounds like it would fit the bill.
If it's not your thing, even though it's a mechanical, they have an outstanding resale value... they never last long in the classifieds.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Seeing you like the box factor, like dripping and want something indestructible... have you considered the Reo?
I know they may be a bit out of your price range, but Reos are extremely durable, and being a bottom fed dripper, it sounds like it would fit the bill.
If it's not your thing, even though it's a mechanical, they have an outstanding resale value... they never last long in the classifieds.

Reos are a whole other type of vaporizer.

Aside from the cost of a REO, you need a specialized/ customized atty that allows for bottom juice feeding.
They are durable, but not for the faint of heart or wallet.
I'm not saying they aren't worth it, but they aren't plug and play unless you buy all the extras no one recommending them ever mentions.

Also, buying a vape based on what you can sell it for second hand isn't a smart way to purchase anything.
Horrible advice that is given out a lot around here.
Use good sense when buying any thing.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Since you like the Panzer and are open to clones, Shenxi makes some great Panzer clones... the full copper ones are in the $60 price range, but they are high quality and you if you get a dent in it at least it wasn't a $300 Panzer.

Any mech tube is basically the same design. It is a metal tube with 510 at the top and a switch at the bottom. They are all durable. If you submerse it in water, you have a good chance of wrecking the battery. The mod can be dried out and used again though.

Last edited:

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Reos are a whole other type of vaporizer.

Aside from the cost of a REO, you need a specialized/ customized atty that allows for bottom juice feeding.
They are durable, but not for the faint of heart or wallet.
I'm not saying they aren't worth it, but they aren't plug and play unless you buy all the extras no one recommending them ever mentions.

Also, buying a vape based on what you can sell it for second hand isn't a smart way to purchase anything.
Horrible advice that is given out a lot around here.
Use good sense when buying any thing.

Actually...with a REO you can just use a plain ole 510 atty or carto :)

Fattlestar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Ohio, USA

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Whatever you decide on, something that's stainless steel would probably be best for durability.

You are right. But also probably something that is a single tube and not modular like a Panzer or telescopic like a Launcher would probably be even better for durability. Something like a smpl or an oros, i.e.: mods with only one unscrewable piece, would be the most durable.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
But its not designed to be used that way and would be a wasteful purchase if that is all you were going to use it for.

ROFL...mine has had a 510 atty in it for the 4 years I have owned it - rebuildable stuff was not around back then :facepalm:

anyhoo...what-ever...

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hey guys,
I started off vaping with a kanger evod twist and loved it. Later, as I wanted to get into dripping, I invested in a vaporshark DNA40. I have to say I love it so much. The size is perfect for me, and doesn't get in the way when I stick it in my pocket. And the nickel wire builds are outstanding in my opinion.
But now that I have been vaping for about 6 months, I am interested in getting a mech mod. I know there are a ton out there, and I don't want to ask that annoying question "which is the best for a first mech?" I understand that there is not one absolute best mod. People have different tastes and ideas for what makes something great. So ignore that question.

What I am looking for is a mech that is very durable. I spend a lot of time outdoors. I hike, walk a lot, and will be a field biologist when I graduate school. So what I am looking for is something that can take a beating. Being in the field that much means I will get caught in the rain. At my last job I fell in a stream that was about 12 feet deep. Luckily I was still smoking cigs then, so I just lost a few dollars in them. if I had my DNA40 and the chip got that wet, I would have been furious. It got me thinking, "what about next time?" There will be a next time.
So I am looking for advice on a mech that isn't fancy, but not just a boring tube. I like the look of the Panzer, but can't afford an authentic right now. And since it's my first mech, I'd probably like to try a clone before I pick drop the money on the real deal. if I like it, that is what I plan on doing.

Any advice?

This to look at on a mech:

1: Center pin:
Fixed centerpin or adjustable; most have adjustable centerpin.
Some have floating center pin; my stingray has a 'floating' center pin though I a better description is 'loose' center pin.
My m16 sentinel has a spring loaded center pin; that one I'd call floating.

2: Telescopic:
There are telescopic mods which are useful to be able to adjust for different battery configuration or accommodate a kick module.
A telescopic mech is also something to think about in bottom switched mechs - most mechs are bottom switched, and there is no spring pressing the battery upwards in the tube, so that you might find yourself fiddleing with adjustements to get things to fit, but if the mod is telescopic you just screw it in until it contacts.

3: Bottom or top switched:
Bottom switched versus top switched mechs:
Most mechs are bottom switched. Very simple; however the batteries weren't designed for a bottom switch; they are designed for a flashlight tube with a spring at the bottom. Bottom switched mechs rely on the battery wrapper material to perform as an insulator between the negative can of the battery and the outer mech tubing.

I've got 2 top fired mechs: a ph22 from fasttech, and a poldiac; I can open up the switch in the poldiac (not advisable: it's got magnets! I discovered the hard way: took some headscratching to put back together); but the ph22 is pressfit, so if anything goes wrong inside that switch........

4: Threads
My main mechs are 3 chiyou's and a king; they all have m21x1 threading, same as the threading on my vamo and zmax.
My nemesis and stingray each uses different threads in different places, and the two of them are different threads but close.
My poldiac uses the same thread as the nemesis tubes.

5: For high powered vaping, there are the box mechs like the beast box which will take 2 batts in parallel.

Highwayman1224

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Goodyear, AZ
But its not designed to be used that way and would be a wasteful purchase if that is all you were going to use it for.
Actually it's used to squonk eliquid up into a cartomizer or atty, so yes it's designed exactly for that use. I used to use my Reo's with regular cartomizers & it worked just like it was supposed to.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Actually it's used to squonk eliquid up into a cartomizer or atty, so yes it's designed exactly for that use. I used to use my Reo's with regular cartomizers & it worked just like it was supposed to.

I don't use regular cartomizers, but I didn't know that they were designed to bottom feed. I thought they would have to be modified. I guess you have proven me wrong.

Highwayman1224

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Goodyear, AZ
I don't use regular cartomizers, but I didn't know that they were designed to bottom feed. I thought they would have to be modified. I guess you have proven me wrong.
Cartomizers will bottom feed out of the box, but regular atomizers do need to be modified. Reo's are wonderful creations, lol.

Zabolee

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2015
Philadelphia
For my non-rebuildables, I use Nautilus and Naut mini, Atlantis, and Silo tanks. All I have to RDA's is the Veritas. I'm still on the hunt for my next, probably a tank system like the Lemo.

I don't see why the mech would be just fine with any of my tanks, I don't carry an RDA around with me, so that's what would be on it when I go out most of the time. No hassle that way.

I haven't seen the Shenxi Panzer around. How is the 510 pin? I've heard nothing great about the way that pin comes on stock clones. Not that I mind having to tap it free, but I'd rather not.

I also don't mind dings and scratches. To me it's a battle scar. Nothing to be ashamed of. As long as it doesn't bend the internal structure, and affect the battery, I don't care.
Another aspect I'd really like is a magnetic firing button. It's not a deal breaker, since I know you can get them for many mods, but again, for the ease, I'd appreciate if it came stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread