mech mod batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazazu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2013
North Carolina
What are the best batteries to use in a mech mod? aw protected? or aw imr? Does it matter if you use the safety fuse? I know there is tons of battery info on the site, but all that stuff is confusing, and there are tons of batteries for sale all over the place. I'm not a big battery buff, don't know much about them, but I don't wanna have my mod blow up in my face from running sub ohm coils. So a simple answer would be best. Thanks guys.

And for the record, im not gonna dive right to sub ohm. I know how to use a multimeter and all that stuff as well. Just wondering if I need to buy different batteries other than the AW imr's I have in my desk :D

Last edited:

Flyer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Illinois
For mechanicals, protected batteries can present a usability issue if low resistance coils are used. Essentially, their protection mechanism can trip and prevent them from working until reset in a battery charger. Most prefer "safer chemistry" unprotected batteries. The newer NCR18650PD high drain batteries and other hybrid batteries are quickly gaining favor in the mech community. Take a look at them.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My self? I'd use the red AW IMR batteries. Although protected batteries often toute higher mAh ratings, I believe the safer chemistry IMR's with a Vape Safe Fuse offers far more safety than a simple protected battery circuit of the Li Ion batteries. Having had a lesser quality (yet well known brand) protected battery vent on me in a mech mod, I've set my safety standards as my number one priority. I'll just keep an extra battery in a plastic battery case with me just in case I need more battery time than the IMR gives me.

AW has been considered a high quality, consistant, and durable battery re-seller for a large number of years. Alledgedly they are hand-picked as being the top of the barrel of many, many batteries. Purchase from a reputable battery vendor such as RTD Vapor, that just happens to offer extremely good prices of several genuine brand-name batteries, chargers, and many other upper end vaping products.

Last edited:

Flyer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Illinois
^^^ Agree 100%. Been using my red AW IMR's with a 2 cent fuse with complete confidence and zero problems with low ohm coils. Just be aware that the fuses do take up some space in the battery tube. Most telescoping mods handle this very well. Some non-telescoping mods like my Precise don't. thus my use of the PD's.

fanatic205

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2012
birmingham al
For the money samsung INR (nickel safe chemistry) cant be beat 18650 15q(18amp)and 13r(20amp) . I have been using these for six months with no issues. I cant tell a difference between these and the mnke batts. I vape .3 double and .6 single coil builds and the samsungs out perform the mnke underload.

I found out about these batteries from candlepower forums and the people at candlepower can be very picky about the batteries they use

No need for a fuse with safe chemistry batts IMHO, had a hard short with one of the samsungs and the mod only got hot with no visiable damage.

Last edited:

fanatic205

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2012
birmingham al
techmatlock:9750584 said:
I've read the MNKE IMR batteries are the best for low ohm vaping. They maintain consistent voltage, don't get hot from low ohm vaping, and last a long time. Generally though, most people choose the red AW IMR batteries.
I havent done extensive testing but both the mnke and samsungs settle quick under load and hold the voltage steady. The efest i tested would flucuate underload with SLR setups.

Rapture

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2012
Bay Area California
For the money samsung INR (nickel safe chemistry) cant be beat 18650 15q(18amp)and 13r(20amp) . I have been using these for six months with no issues. I cant tell a difference between these and the mnke batts. I vape .3 double and .6 single coil builds and the samsungs out perform the mnke underload.

I found out about these batteries from candlepower forums and the people at candlepower can be very picky about the batteries they use

No need for a fuse with safe chemistry batts IMHO, had a hard short with one of the samsungs and the mod only got hot with no visiable damage.

I just ordered 2 of these samsungs from fasttech and people over there are saying they are unsafe for sub ohm vaping. Why are they saying this? I got the Samsung INR18650-20R 3.6V 2000mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion. will these be ok for sub ohm vaping as long as i dont go over the amp limit, which i dont plan on even coming close too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread