Status
Not open for further replies.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
First a dish soap and hot water wash for any metal. For copper I follow that with a 5 minute vinegar w/ salt soak. Followed by a dunk in water w/ baking soda. Then a rinse in hot water and towel dry. When in the vinegar bath, I scrub threads and other crannies with a tooth brush.

A little conductive grease on the threads and contacts to extend the time between cleanings.

I typically use a polishing cloth like this: https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Polis...1484574306&sr=8-1&keywords=Polish+cloth+rouge
to keep the outside looking nice.

Last edited:

yvaiwhy

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017
Maldives
First a dish soap and hot water wash for any metal. For copper I use a 5 minute vinegar w/ salt soak. Followed by a dunk in water w/ baking soda. Then a rinse in hot water and towel dry. When in the vinegar bath, I scrub threads and other crannies with a tooth brush.

A little conductive grease on the threads and contacts to extend the time between cleanings.

I typically use a polishing cloth like this: https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Polis...1484574306&sr=8-1&keywords=Polish+cloth+rouge
to keep the outside looking nice.

Pretty much same, for polishing I use autosol (abrasive buffing compound) and lithium base spray on grease on their threads. But the hot water part is yet to try.

2+2=5 [emoji102]

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Pretty much same, for polishing I use autosol (abrasive buffing compound) and lithium base spray on grease on their threads. But the hot water part is yet to try.

2+2=5 [emoji102]

I keep the grease and oils to a minimum.
For threads I use a tiny tiny bit of neosporin from the emergency kit.
Petroleum jelly works great and its antibiotic as a bonus.
;)

yvaiwhy

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017
Maldives
I keep the grease and oils to a minimum.
For threads I use a tiny tiny bit of neosporin from the emergency kit.
Petroleum jelly works great and its antibiotic as a bonus.
;)

I'll take your word on the neosporin and petroleum jelly. But I think I'll stick with lithium grease for now [emoji23] it's actually quite good. Not too much residue, I use the spray on type which comes in a can. [emoji108]

2+2=5 [emoji102]

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I'll take your word on the neosporin and petroleum jelly. But I think I'll stick with lithium grease for now [emoji23] it's actually quite good. Not too much residue, I use the spray on type which comes in a can. [emoji108]

2+2=5 [emoji102]

Lithium grease is too messy IMHO, however it is dollar store cheap (thats where I buy it).

Reactions: Kprthevapr

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Not really, I just wipe off the access [emoji23]

2+2=5 [emoji102]

To each their own.
I get greasey enough without that slick film on my mechs.
20170104_160336-1.jpg

yvaiwhy

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2017
Maldives
I used to not use anything at all, but for the last 3 months I have used 3in1 and have been really pleased I made the switch. Only a tiny drop is needed though.

With the locking switches I believe there should be some lubrication to have a smooth twist. But sure, if it works not really mandatory but would extend the button life and all of we cut the friction just a bit eh?

3 in 1 works great but I thought I'd try the lithium grease out. So far so good [emoji106]

2+2=5 [emoji102]

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Cleaning, I use Wrights Copper Cream. Works wonderful and no petroleum like other compounds like, Mothers, Neverdull, etc. I then finish with a Sunshine Cloth.

To keep the threads smooth and from oxidize a tiny dab of Noalox, just a tiny drop.

Shot of my VCP Boss

c761d5434ef8370ebaa3e0721e57842e.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
No kidding! Back then that was a color people had on their cars? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] good luck with that.

2+2=5 [emoji102]
Yup.
Factory color.
Its what the owner wanted and paid for.
( I didnt paint it ;) )
Toyota had some wierd colors schemes in the 70's.

That FJ55 was/is a nightmare to find parts for.
Some of the trim pieces are the last good ones in North America.
Its not 100% original because its impossible to find all the pieces.
It has been done right tho, disc brakes, OME suspension parts, powder coated frame, tons of old toyota options, even has a $1000 toyota factory CB.

Same guy has an old J100 jeep pickup I spent all day rewiring the lights.
Its nice too.
20170116_165340-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread