Mechanical mods and an enthusiastic newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
This wonderful forum has introduced me to the beautiful world of mechanicals and rebuildabes, and also a mind boggling amount of very relevant info. Before I jump head first into a purchase I would like to run a few things by some if you more experienced vapers to make sure I don't waste money or blow my face off :)
I was looking at buying a couple of mechanicals ( a stainless steel king clone for myself and a k100-101 for my wife ).
batteries: aw IMR 18650s
I don't have a kick , however I think the k101 has a fuse for safety.
my questions are-
will this be a safe setup to run attys like the rsst?
i have not built a coil yet, but I don't think it would be beyond my meager abilities to do so.

will any protected 18650 battery work safely in these type mechanicals? I don't plan on doing any sub ohm vaping until I understand this a bit more.

I have an evic and its great but its fragile and has a to of features I never really use.
im looking for something a bit less complicated, yet functional enough to get the job done
am I on the right track?

any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
No mechanical comes with a builtin fuse. Not sure if the place you were looking at is giving one away with it or what ... A decent fuse is the Holocron. It's cheap and reusable.

Having said that, you'll find most people don't use fuses on mechanical with rebuildables. A IMR will work just fine as long as you know the batteries limitations. The AW IMR 18650 2000mah is rated at 10 amps ... the 1600 is rated at I think 16amps. Both will work well and safely in almost any scenario you put them in. AW is just an all-around good battery to use so that's a solid choice.

Any protected battery will work in a mechanical, it is vv/vw devices that don't like protected batteries due to their builtin protection circuit. Basically a protected battery is nothing more than a battery with it's own fuse.

Frankly, I'd just grab the unprotected AW 18650s 2000mah and not worry too much. The chance of going over 10 amps is nil if you aren't doing sub-ohm ... and even then they will work for anything above 0.5'ish ohms. Anything lower and you need to look at 20-30amp batteries like MNKE and Sony.

Mechanicals are simple, sleek, and great performers. Just remember that to keep everything running smoothly ... you WILL need to clean a mechanical from time to time. A warm water bath with a bit of laundry soap / toothpaste + toothbrush = win. Watch some videos on youtube on how to build your coils and the rest is pretty much trial and error.

Ohm's Law Calculator

Use that site to calculate about how many watts/amps/whatever you are pushing on your atomizer. As long as you aren't pulling more amps than the battery can push ... you're perfectly fine. (And as I mentioned earlier ... you won't be hitting the amp limit of those batteries unless going below 0.5 ohms) If you aren't going sub-ohm ... try to keep the resistance under 1.5ohms for best results IMHO.

Good luck!

JmanEspresso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 15, 2013
    Westchester, NY,USA
    The AW IMR 1600mah 18650 is one of the best, but not the only, battery when it comes to mechs, especially for subohm. Its got a 24amp limit, which is more then most people will use.

MNKE 18650 1500mah is another great choice, can handle basically anything you throw it at with its 60-80amp PULSE limit, otherwise I believe continuous amp limit is 20amps.

The RSST will work fine on the K100-101, but, truthfully, it will look a little ridiculous. However, the A7 RDA will look pretty sharp, and its a nice little atty to boot.

Without a kick, you're going to want to coiling the attys not much higher than 1.5ohms. Everybody has thier own tastes, but personally, anything over 1.2ohms without a kick is a pretty weak vape. TO me anyway.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    I'm not stuck on the rsst I am just interested in a genesis style Atty.
    I have a few odd RDAs here I found at an overpriced smoke store, and they work great on the evic (1.5 ohm).
    I'll end up replacing coils in these eventually so I may as well get my feet wet with genny's since they seem to be the standard.
    I guess I'm getting caught up in the vapor.

Badditude- thank you so much! I have some reading to do ;)

Scarey

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 14, 2013
    Lafayette, IN, USA
    I'd suggest trying out a few coils before diving right into genesis atties. They have a steeper learning curve. Maybe try out an Igo-L first. Get the idea of coils, then move up to the Genny's. As far as inexpensive genny's, I'd say look more toward the AGA-T2. It has a pyrex tank, for you plastic killing liquids.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    I'd suggest trying out a few coils before diving right into genesis atties. They have a steeper learning curve. Maybe try out an Igo-L first. Get the idea of coils, then move up to the Genny's.
    "Hold my beer an watch this!"
    :)
    Just kidding I'm gonna rebuild a few coils in these drippers before trying anything more complicated

As far as inexpensive genny's, I'd say look more toward the AGA-T2. It has a pyrex tank, for you plastic killing liquids.
    I like the looks of those
    Pyrex (borosilicate) is always a plus.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread