Medical Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orb Skewer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
Terra firma
The answer in mg (milligrams) of nicotine exposure would be a big fat '0'mg !

The true answer would probably be expressed as µg (micro-grams equal to 10¬6 (to the power) grams)
Or, ng (nanograms, A unit of mass equal to 0.000 000 001 grams)
both of these quantities would be in PPM (parts per million) as the exhaled vapour would be airborne.

But, I'm not a scientist or chemist, what I do believe is that your family and pets would be more exposed to a harmfull environment if allow them outside in the street-among traffic especialy.

MiamiMom63

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
South Florida
They'd be less exposed to nicotine in your second hand vape than if they ate any of the following, which also contain nicotine :)

Vegetable Nicotine in ng/g g per 1µg nicotine

Cauliflower 16.8 59.5
Eggplant (Aubergine) 100.0 10
Potatoes 7.1 140
Green tomatoes 42.8 23.4
Ripe tomatoes 4.3 233.0
Pureed tomatoes 52.0 19.2

1µg of nicotine is the equivalent of sitting in a vaguely smoke filled room for three hours. However, vaping does not emit smoke. A cigarette contains about 7mg of nicotine, of which 1mg is absorbed. In other words, 100g of eggplant contains 0.01mg of nicotine, and 10kg of eggplant is equivalent to one cigarette. However, absorbtion rates from ingestion are low and nicotine is quickly metabolised, so the effect isn't nearly the same.

Edit: Sorry, but I couldn't get the columns to line up right. I pasted it from the internet. The first column of numbers is the amount of nicotine in ng/g, and the second column of numbers is the amount g per 1 µg nicotine.

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this, if not, my apologies.

I'm a heavy vapor, generally around my family and pets (dogs). How much nicotine is in the exhaled vapor(second hand vape) are the surrounding people exposed to when I do vape? My nic level in my juices is 6mg.

Thanks

Check out the CASAA website under the Burstin/Drexel study.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
oh like it's a big mystery....cats are evil.

the most evilest creature in the universe, right above Llamas and beady-eyed Koalas.

oh..and to stay on topic...ummm, vape is good. low nic when you exhale.

You think Llamas are evil? Oh my...

Seriously, PG is no good for cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread