The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Mesh question....

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by thewomenfolk, Feb 8, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. thewomenfolk

thewomenfolk Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 6, 2009
    Colorado John 3:16
    How do you control the resistence of a mesh coil, for example on the VandyVape Mesh RDA, how would one get a 0.5 Ω mesh? 2nd question...does cutting this mesh along the end or side change the resistence?

• Like Like x 1
  2. papergoblin

papergoblin Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    Yes the amount of mesh affects resistance as wells as the mesh count (300 or 500) then of course type of mesh. I'm not exactly sure how you'd figure amount but maybe start looking into the rolls that are sold like regular wire.

I did look Vandy sells spools of it and the resistance is listed per foot, so you'd have to divide down to figure your length.

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. thewomenfolk

Sep 6, 2009
    Thanks. :)

Wonder if someone could say what lengh of mesh would bring the resistence to about 0.5 Ω using Kanthal, and using SS or Ni that comes in the Kit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bombastinator

bombastinator Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    That depends on the resistance per foot of the mesh you have as previously stated. If it’s say 10 ohms per foot 1/10th of a foot will give you a 1 ohm piece

• Like Like x 1
  5. thewomenfolk

Sep 6, 2009
    Yes, thank you. But would anyone happen to know what the resistence of the mesh is in the various metals that come in the package called the “VandyVape Mesh RDA”? I’m actually using one now (Kanthal) and it’s at right about 2 ohms. I’m just wondering what the other medals included are in Ohms because it may be some time before I need to use those.

• Like Like x 1
  6. papergoblin

Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    The packs I saw at a shop had it written on them and/or the box as well but I maybe thinking of the tank. Could try looking at the tank, as I'm sure they both have the same stuff/size. The only other way would be Vandy's site or email them/vendor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. papergoblin

Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    [​IMG]
    This is from their site, so the stuff in the pack is the same as the spools. You'll have to measure the length to figure out how much to get the resistance you want.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. thewomenfolk

Sep 6, 2009
    Thanks for that chart! Yes...I have succeeded all my life in avoiding mathematics and sure don’t want to start now. HA Maybe I’ll just write to VandyVapes and hope they answer me. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  9. papergoblin

Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    No problem, lol. If it helps KA1 (I usually just use Kanthal, why I picked it) is 2.8 ohms per foot so....
    12 inches = 2.8
    6 inches = 1.4
    3 inches = 0.7
    1.5 (1 1/2) inches = 0.35
    .75 (3/4) inches = 0.175 mod/meter would probably show 0.18

So for 0.5, look at the 3 in rating and the .75 rating. If you take 3/4 of an inch off a 3 in piece you'd be around .5, just a little high. So start at 2 1/8 to 2 1/4 inch and you'd be really close, as long as you leave the width the same and their ratings are consistent.

• Like Like x 1
  10. thewomenfolk

Sep 6, 2009
    Your numbers sure make sense BUT....wouldn’t 2.75 inches make a huge coil to have to fill with cotton and probably the whole thing wouldn’t fit in the ‘tank’?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bombastinator

bombastinator Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    That is correct

12. untar

untar Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    I'll go ahead and ask: why?

If you're using a regulated mod there should be no reason whatsoever to build to a specific resistance (well unless you go under the minimum resistance your mod can fire).

• Like Like x 1
  13. thewomenfolk

Sep 6, 2009
    I’m using this mesh atty on the Vandyvape Squonk mod, so I’d like to keep the ohms at about 0.5 ohms (I’m using the iJoy 20700 3000mAh battery).

14. untar

untar Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    Ah, that makes more sense. I don't know about a mesh atty on a mech though, I only vaped those on regulated mods so far and they were pretty power hungry little mongrels (fun started at 70-80W). With your desired setup it would be about 30W max and lower as the battery drains.
    Never vaped a mesh coil at that low a power so I can't tell you if it's any good.

15. thewomenfolk

Sep 6, 2009
    Thanks for your thoughts. I might just try the mesh atty on a regulated device and see what happens. Thanks for your interesting input.

16. papergoblin

Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    Sorry been busy, while you're right that's a long piece of mesh but you could fold it in half. I don't use mesh so I'm absolutely guessing.

17. thewomenfolk

Sep 6, 2009
    The mesh already folds in half as you put one end in ‘this slot’ and the other end in ‘that slot’ just opposite. But it would still be huge compared to the coils we’re used to.

18. untar

untar Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    I think he means folding it over on itself before putting it in. I'd rather cut it in half then, sounds like asking for hotspots.

19. papergoblin

Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    Yeah I meant folding in half or cutting into 2 pieces. I guess you could torch it like done with genny tanks to stop shorting and hot spots, again guessing.

I may have to buy one just to play around with building to see, lol.

20. thewomenfolk

Sep 6, 2009
    Yes, papergoblin, that’s the best idea I’ve heard all day. Go buy one now and then let us know all the pertinent details about how to regulate the desired ohms while avoiding hot spots. :) Oh yeah, and thanks! Ha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.