mesh vs coil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

so I saw this video by mikevapes and just realized there's a coil called "mesh" which I think have more surface to burn compare to traditional coil

I havent try or experience with TFV12 or any sub-ohm tank but Im happy with my hadaly and serpent mini my question is will this "mesh" type of coil gonna give more flavour than hadaly or serpent mini?

Reactions: stols001

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
However the mesh is configured, it's still a sort of mesh coil. In that video the mesh is cylindrical shape with cotton around the outside but in the above post the mesh is stuffed in. One is a pre done coil, where as above you actually stuff cotton yourself. In both the mesh is the coil instead of the wick. I have only tried the original mesh back in the day where the mesh was the wicking material and you actually used wire to wrap around a mesh wick . When using mesh without cotton, you get a wonderful flavor because you don't taste the cotton, but with this new take on mesh, you are still using cotton, so I don't think the difference between mesh and cotton is as great as a difference between with mesh and wire, meaning, I don't think the flavor between this new mesh and cotton is much different between a coil and cotton or as good as mesh without cotton. As with all this stuff, it's subjective so you probably need to try it to see.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
However the mesh is configured, it's still a sort of mesh coil. In that video the mesh is cylindrical shape with cotton around the outside but in the above post the mesh is stuffed in. One is a pre done coil, where as above you actually stuff cotton yourself. In both the mesh is the coil instead of the wick. I have only tried the original mesh back in the day where the mesh was the wicking material and you actually used wire to wrap around a mesh wick . When using mesh without cotton, you get a wonderful flavor because you don't taste the cotton, but with this new take on mesh, you are still using cotton, so I don't think the difference between mesh and cotton is as great as a difference between with mesh and wire, meaning, I don't think the flavor between this new mesh and cotton is much different between a coil and cotton or as good as mesh without cotton. As with all this stuff, it's subjective so you probably need to try it to see.
That i generally see referred to as stainless wick. I agree the flavor is excellent. Downsides iirc were limited juice movement capacity making it inappropriate for DL builds (though mtl worked great) and that getting the thing working was a PITA. Once you did though they lasted a really really long time. IIRC stainless steel wicks are the standard in the former eastern bloc to this day. They definitely have their advantages.

Notch coils differ from mesh coils in that the metal is not a mesh but a sheet of metal with holes stamped in it.

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
Flavor is pretty subjective and can depend on alot of things, keep that in mind.
In case of mesh coils I *think* fruit type flavors will taste good, bakery/sweets not so much.
Why? Because fruits usually are better when vapor is cool, bakery stuff when vapor is warm.

Mesh consists of lots of very thin wire and the thinner the wire, the cooler your vape will be. That also makes mesh coils very efficiant. They still need around 50W or more to function decently, because even though the wire is thin, there is just alot of it.
My experiance with mesh comes from the Freemax FireLuke tank. I exclusively vape fruit stuff and I really like mesh, because of the cool vapor, efficiancy, durability and fast ramp up time.

But will it taste better to YOU? I cant tell...

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Agree with @vapdivrr and @bombastinator back in the early heyday of SS Mesh, you got a Genesis SS wick tank running perfectly it was a beautiful vape in MTL and with a little more fidgeting could get a Genny into the DTL sub-ohm range, wasn't a clouding sub-ohm vape but a flavor chasers dream for an on the run tank systems. When Vandy Vape rolled out the V1 Mesh RDA I took a real good interest in its potential, the entire surface of the Mesh coil potentially has flavor production well beyond a standard coil or exotic coil setup (claptons, fused claptons, etc, anything beyond a basic, parallel or twisted coil setup). Recently purchased a current version of the Vandy Mesh RDA, fidgeted with the sample SS Mesh precut that comes with the kit, trimmed the material a bit to lower the height of the coil down a bit, learned need the wicking inside the mesh packed tight to reduce/remove hotspots, but once I clocked in on the build, 0.15ish Ohms, 75watts, at 475F on a DNA166 BF Squonk mod in TC mode, the vape is a flavor dream IMO, and really first time I've enjoyed a TC mode vape for more than just a couple days, haven't torn out the build that has lasted me a month now with the occasional re-wick and pulse burn cleaning. These new Fireluke and other premade Mesh coil head tanks coming out, haven't tried them or given them much interest, I've moved into a personal zone if I can't rebuild it myself, I'm not interested, but given my experience with Genesis tanks and this Mesh RDA, I can say the potential for a fantastically flavorful tank system using a mesh coil is there, YMMV.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
That i generally see referred to as stainless wick. I agree the flavor is excellent. Downsides iirc were limited juice movement capacity making it inappropriate for DL builds (though mtl worked great) and that getting the thing working was a PITA. Once you did though they lasted a really really long time. IIRC stainless steel wicks are the standard in the former eastern bloc to this day. They definitely have their advantages.

Notch coils differ from mesh coils in that the metal is not a mesh but a sheet of metal with holes stamped in it.
not to get confused with cable, Now those were referred to as ss wicks because they came ready to go. Yes quit different then today's type for sure as the old mesh wicks were more or less low wattage mtl. They do look interesting though and would like to try the new types, but they all seem meant for a specific tank or pre made coils. I'm sure they will come out with an actual mesh coil, ready to tighten down and wick with cotton for any rta.

Reactions: stols001

EatMaBB

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2015
Lochgelly, Fife
www.eatmabb.com
I have reviewed the Fireluke mesh tank and I liked the flavour from that, this week I have been using the Vapeston Avatar Mesh Nano Tank and the flavour is good as well at 35w with the air flow half way as I like a RLH. Both the mesh's from the coils look the same and wick good with high VG as I was using 70/30 and 85/15 VG/PG.
PantatBuduk if you want to try a mesh coil I can give you the Vapeston Avatar Mesh Nano Tank after I have done the review for it, just pay the shipping. PM me if you want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread