What is it with mesh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustybadger

May 10, 2016
I'm so tired of the recent "mesh only" craze. I just don't understand it at all.

I have used roundwire sub tanks for close to 4 years, and can generally get a pretty accurate flavour representation from my juices. Obviously some are better than others, but the og Uwell Crown coils and .4 Cleito coils are pretty stellar.

Recently decided to mix it up and try something new, so i went on the hunt for a new sub tank, only for the market to be completely littered with mesh-only tanks. The only tanks i could find that still use roundwire are from years ago.

I figured i had been missing something, so i picked up a collection of mesh sub tanks, only to be dissapointed by every one of them.

The list was:
Ehpro Raptor with both the raptor coils and the Horizontech Falcon coils.
Innokin isub B.
Aspire Odan Evo.
Aspire Cleito Pro.
Geekvape Zeus.

I got absolutely zero of the liquid nuance that i get from 3+ year old roundwire coils. I just get a blast of full-on "all the flavours at once", and for juices with sweetener, that is the primary profile. Interestingly, i found that with fruit flavours, it was a little more palatable, but since i primarily vape bakerys this wasnt all that much use.

I figured i would give the mesh rta's and rda's a shot, as everyone is raving about them, so i picked up:
Wotofo Profile RDA.
Wotofo Profile Unity RTA.
VandyVape Mesh RTA.

Tried all of them, same dissapointing experience. They were basically mesh sub tanks in RTA form. Literally exactly the same "flavour".

So, after wasting a chunk of money on all of these, im back to using the Cleito Pro with the 0.4ohm Cleito coils and the Uwell Crown Mini with the og Uwell Crown coils with the occasional use of the Wake Mod co RTA when i can be bothered to rebuild.

Is it just me? I dont understand the hype in any way. Maybe it's just my particular flavour profile doesn't work great with mesh, or maybe its just me, i dunno. It's just a shame to see that any recent sub tanks that come out are all mesh, apart from the very occasional sprinkling of roundwire thrown in here and there.

Anyone else have a similar experience? And have any recommendations on recent sub tanks to try that aren't just mesh?

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Mesh is best thing ever....
Simple wire coils are soooooo last year....
Ew are u a caveman??? Geez
:p I AM JOKING
I have only tried mesh coils in zlide tank and it wasn't good for me....
When I first heard about mesh coil tho seemed soooooo good idea and thought it's the future...plus chicks dig it......
I don't like the way mesh rtas are getting wicked tho and the airflow is not ideal from on top in the ones I have seen in videos...
maybe in some prebuild coils mesh is better....I will never know :p
I came round kanthals like a caveman ATM ew

Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm so tired of the recent "mesh only" craze. I just don't understand it at all.

I have used roundwire sub tanks for close to 4 years, and can generally get a pretty accurate flavour representation from my juices. Obviously some are better than others, but the og Uwell Crown coils and .4 Cleito coils are pretty stellar.

Recently decided to mix it up and try something new, so i went on the hunt for a new sub tank, only for the market to be completely littered with mesh-only tanks. The only tanks i could find that still use roundwire are from years ago.

I figured i had been missing something, so i picked up a collection of mesh sub tanks, only to be dissapointed by every one of them.

The list was:
Ehpro Raptor with both the raptor coils and the Horizontech Falcon coils.
Innokin isub B.
Aspire Odan Evo.
Aspire Cleito Pro.
Geekvape Zeus.

I got absolutely zero of the liquid nuance that i get from 3+ year old roundwire coils. I just get a blast of full-on "all the flavours at once", and for juices with sweetener, that is the primary profile. Interestingly, i found that with fruit flavours, it was a little more palatable, but since i primarily vape bakerys this wasnt all that much use.

I figured i would give the mesh rta's and rda's a shot, as everyone is raving about them, so i picked up:
Wotofo Profile RDA.
Wotofo Profile Unity RTA.
VandyVape Mesh RTA.

Tried all of them, same dissapointing experience. They were basically mesh sub tanks in RTA form. Literally exactly the same "flavour".

So, after wasting a chunk of money on all of these, im back to using the Cleito Pro with the 0.4ohm Cleito coils and the Uwell Crown Mini with the og Uwell Crown coils with the occasional use of the Wake Mod co RTA when i can be bothered to rebuild.

Is it just me? I dont understand the hype in any way. Maybe it's just my particular flavour profile doesn't work great with mesh, or maybe its just me, i dunno. It's just a shame to see that any recent sub tanks that come out are all mesh, apart from the very occasional sprinkling of roundwire thrown in here and there.

Anyone else have a similar experience? And have any recommendations on recent sub tanks to try that aren't just mesh?

JMO...

But to get Massive Clouds, you have to give up some Flavor. And to get Maximum Flavor, Cloud production will suffer. It's kinda like some kind of e-Cigarette Conservation of Energy thing.

I Don't have a Lot of Experience with Mesh RTA's or RDA's. But it seems that Mesh RTA's/RDA's, in general, work better at Producing Clouds.

For me, to get a Decent Warm Hit with Mesh, I needed to Jack Up the Wattage to numbers I had Never used. And just like when you Turn the Music up Loud, subtle sounds get Drowned Out. That's what happened to my Flavor(s). Great Vapor. But all the Complexity of the Flavor(s) was gone.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
So are you saying that when switching from wire to mesh coils you need to turn the wattage down even if the resistance is the same?
Essentially, yes, but resistance and wattage arent usually correlative except for in a mech.

Wattage and coil mass are usually fairly linear in their relationship... Mesh has a much lower mass then most traditional coils of the same resistance, as mesh is essentially many parallel thin gauge "coils"

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
As l like a warm vape, mesh is useless to me, even in TC mode.

I like a warmer vape too, and also TH. This is why when I first saw mesh as an option to wire I immediately realized there was very little chance I would like it and I've not tried one yet :)

@Oliver Smith, if you are willing to go the rebuildable tank route, there are a lot of options out there.

• Agree

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
IDK I kinda thought mesh was a love it or hate it thing. Then I tried the Nautilus 2s 0.7 mesh coil which is unlike the Zenith flavorless puffy mesh coils in almost every way. It's a mystery man.

Fortunately, um, well I don't and will not be trying mesh RTAs (not that I know of any MTL ones) in any of my RTAs, etc.

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: riz.cit06

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I use and love mesh coils. It's like anything else, some do and some don't. Mesh coils put more metal in contact with the wicking. This makes for more results, be it flavor or clouds or both. Currently I'm using a fireluke 2 on my dovpo m VV2. I have the voltage set on the number two setting and I think that translates to 60 to 80 watts roughly. I'd have to refer to the guide that came with it to be sure, but I'm getting great flavor from my juice and depending on how big I hit this thing I'll get anywhere from little to huge clouds. The fireluke works great on the dovpo. At least I like it anyway. Not trying to make this post about the mod, but the m VV2 is awesome.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Whether mesh gear works for anybody else is subjective and their choice.

I don't need, want or care at all about TH (don't put nic in my VG Heavy DIY's). They are mixed for the gear that I dedicate them to that works best for me personally and my vaping style. For a long time specific mesh RDA's and RTA's have been my gear of choice, and especially specific squonk RDA's on mech's. They get it done better and easier for me than any other gear that came before them. So I stopped looking for anything else in gear.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
It took me around five years to reach the point of not looking any further for the 'perfect' stuff.
:thumbs: :toast:

Whether mesh gear works for anybody else is subjective and their choice.

I don't need, want or care at all about TH (don't put nic in my VG Heavy DIY's). They are mixed for the gear that I dedicate them to that works best for me personally and my vaping style. For a long time specific mesh RDA's and RTA's have been my gear of choice, and especially specific squonk RDA's on mech's. They get it done better and easier for me than any other gear that came before them. So I stopped looking for anything else in gear.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It took me around five years to reach the point of not looking any further for the 'perfect' stuff.
:thumbs: :toast:

It also took me about 5 years to get to the point of realizing I knew what atty designs I liked and deciding that there was not much point in looking for better. After all, you can only get so much out of juice and until there is some new development in atty design that changes the game, there doesn't seem to me to be any benefit in looking for minuscule gains to what is already really good for me.

That doesn't stop me from experimenting totally and I still sometimes discover something new that works well for me too. But they are few and far between now and I only explore when I happen on a device that sounds very interesting to me.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The only half way enjoyable vape I have had from mesh tanks was when the stainless mesh was oxidized with a torch and tightly rolled into the wick for genesis tanks.
Anyone here remember those days of yore?

Yup. I vaped a genisis tank exclusively for about a year. It was a really good vape, but those occasional burnt hits from hell were a highlight that was not so good :shock:

Still, one of these days I'm going to have to fire up one of gennies just for old times sake :)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Anyone here remember those days of yore?

Fond Memories of the Kraken.

kraken-by-vicous-ant-32.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread