Metradinazole and vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
New Zealand (Middle Earth, lol)
Ive been put on just a weeks course of metradinazole. Now the unfortunate thing about all this is that this drug inhibits the metabolism of propylene glycol in the liver, which also effects metabolism of alcohol. Which would seem to mean it could be very bad to vape while on this medication.

So I guess this post is a bit of a warning/heads up, really that the combination could be bad - like maybe dangerous bad (unless perhaps your vape is ethanol free, and vg only, and sadly I dont have any juice like that). I can't be sure however how much PG is bad, per se, or how much the drug inhibits metabolism, but I don't think its worth the risk at this stage.

I'd also like to know if any vapers have been on this anti-biotic before, and your experience there.

Looks like ill be having to go a week without vaping which seriously sucks.

Last edited:

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
I just used the search and someone here had seizures as was hospitalised while vaping and also on this antibiotic.

Looks like this is something dodge, and something doctors and the vaping community should be very aware of.

I might even have to smoke a few stinkies this week, seeing as I wont be able to vape... :(

(i.e unless your using a PG free, ethanol free liquid be aware of the likely interaction between flagyl/metronidazole and PG/ethanol in vaping/e-cigs)

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
Is there a stickied thread somewhere with contraindications and interactions with vaping?

Feels like this sort of thing should be made as well known as humanly possible:-

Flagyl interferes with PG and ethanol metabolism, excess blood levels of PG are dangerous, cause seizures, rapid heart rate, nausea, flushing, dizziness etc, hence vaping should be avoided on flagyl, at least unless your using 100% ethanol and PG free e-liquid.

You get a warning with the medicine to avoid all alcohol, but nothing is said about PG specifically, because vaping is new, and amounts in food are usually insignificant (there are medicines high in PG, and those medicines have warnings not to use with metronidazole/flagyl)

To repeat, so no one misses this:-

PG (POLY PROPYLENE GYCOL) AND ETHANOL ARE BOTH, IT SEEMS, LIKELY DANGEROUS WHEN USING THE ANTIBIOTIC METRONIDAZOLE/FLAGYL DUE TO IMPAIRED METABOLISM WHILE ON THE DRUG.

DO NOT VAPE WHILE USING THIS DRUG AT LEAST UNLESS YOU ARE 100% PG AND ETHANOL FREE WITH HIGH CERTAINTY.

I am not certain this is an interaction, but given the medical literature it seems highly likely, and not worth the risk.

Last edited:

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
I didn't raise it with my doctor. They typically warn about ethanol, but I am sure they are unaware of the PG implication of vaping. I will mention it to them next time.

However I am really not sure I need to confirm this, as its in the literature and medical info:

Propylene glycol is metabolized by the alcohol and aldehyde dehydrogenase enzyme pathway....Some patients (infants and children below the age of 4 years, pregnant women, patients with hepatic or renal failure, and patients treated with disulfiram or metronidazole) are not able to adequately metabolize and eliminate propylene glycol, thereby leading to its accumulation and potential adverse events.

Potential safety concerns with the large amount of propylene glycol

Interactions between metronidazole Oral and PROPYLENE GLYCOL

Here's a person who vaped, took the antibiotic and ended up in hospital with seizures:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/206663-seizures.html

PG and flagyl (and ethanol) are known interaction risks.

I can only speculate about how much that does or doesnt apply to PG and ethanol based vaping, but I don't think anyone should trial it out, personally, given the risks!!

Myself, ill be getting some 100% pg free and ethanol free e-liquid from somewhere real reliable, for if I ever have to go on the AB again.

I guess this warning should go to people with renal, hepatic disease and disulfiram, regarding PG intake as well.

Last edited:

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
Good thing I can't deal with PG and am VG free. Odds of me getting flagyl at some point are probably pretty good.
I doubt if there would be enough alcohol taken in to worry about if your juice had alcohol.
But thanks for the heads up.

Would help if I had some PG free stuff! :)

I agree that the level of alcohol in e-liquid, if present is very low, but ive heard of at least unpleasent reactions to, for example, half a beer, or even alcohol in food or medicines, so I think it would be wise to avoid that too, on metronidazole.

Whosback

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
I don't know if it has a sticky, but this might get more notice by those who need it in the health section of the forums. Excellent catch btw. It's things like this that we have to work out for ourselves since vaping is both new and most danger claims by the FDA are questionable and vague at best. So we are kind of left on our own to uses resources like the CASAA to find good research or just a good head on our shoulders like you've shown here.

Drael

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2012
Could a mod possibly shift this into the health subforum? I am not really sure who to ask about this, but it would be just great if this could find a home as a sticky or at least at the top of the pile for awhile somewhere, so as to raise awareness about this likely contraindication!

(Going to order some vg and distilled water only e-liquids for next time this happens for myself, been smoking damn it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread