More PG stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...to scare the crap outta ya.

Propylene Glycol: The Good, the Bad and the Alternatives

Shane Ellison, a former pharmaceutical chemist and author of Health Myths Exposed said “Working as a chemist, I've seen propylene glycol used with the drugs lorazepam, etomidate, diazepam, nitroglycerin, and phenytoin to increase solubility. It’s foreign to the body and as such is toxic. Too much would be about 1800 mg for a 165 lb person.

"The FDA has been pretty honest about the consequences of overdose: metabolic acidosis, lactic acidosis, acute tubular necrosis, allergic contact dermatitis, hemolysis, central nervous system depression, seizures, arrhythmias, and nephrotoxicity.

“The big threat is that it is being used for Over the Counter products... And thus, intake cannot be gauged! Overdose becomes a real and present danger...

“The natural alternative would be ‘glycerol’ when flavor is not an issue for a supplier.”

So, how much is in our stuff? We can never really tell how many mg's we take in in a day if we're not given any more information than what we got. Manufacturers...speak up!

Last edited:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I'd read this article before. It's not alarmist, but falls into that fringe category of "should I act on this information?" It's like a court trial where one side says this and has expert witnesses, then the other side counters with its expert witnesses. The result is confusion. Where lies truth?

When I first looked at propylene glycol and vegetable glycerine, I found that PG broke down to lactic acid in the body. Now, exercised muscles produce the same substance, and the body has a system to dispose of that lactic acid. Unless overloaded. And that's a question for researchers: Are e-smokers overloading the body with lactic acid and thus inviting lactic acidosis or worse? Frankly, I doubt it and will await proof that our vapor's PG content is hazardous in any way.

There is, of course, the VG alternative. It breaks down to glucose, which the body easily handles. In fact, if you're brought to an emergency room, you might find yourself hooked up to IVs of salt and sugar (saline and glucose drips). Note what this report said about VG:

"Glycerol, a byproduct of bio-diesel production, serves as a humectant, a solvent, a filler in commercially prepared low-fat baked goods, a thickening agent in liqueurs, and it may help preserve foods. As a sweetener, it has approximately 27 calories per teaspoon and is 60% as sweet as sucrose, but does not raise blood sugar levels, nor does it feed the bacteria that form plaques and cause dental cavities. The EWG rated it as a two, a very low hazard."

With this environmental group, a rating of two is extremely safe (they put PG at 4).

In all my reading on these substances, I can't find a reason to be alarmed over either. Especially when we suck nicotine into our lungs, knowing many of its negative consequences for the heart and circulatory system.

I hope Dr. Laugesen's clinical trial in New Zealand answers these concerns once and for all. His preliminary reports dismissed ANY danger from PG. Who can argue with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread