Mexico Travel Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Now that Mexico has banned the sale of the e-cigarette, can tourists bring them in with them?
I'm going on vacation in Mexico in a few months and was wondering if they'd confiscate it if they found it?
Will I have to use it in secret?

Providence--I hear your concerns. With the US Goverment's Travel Adisory about even traveling to Mexico in these turbulent times, it might be worth just using some common sense and keeping a very low profile with it. I have friends that just got back from a two week stay at their time share in Cabo Sans Lucas and brought their penstyles in diasassembled (batteries in one bag, atomizers in another, ect) and had no issues BUT they did not use it in public. Having any dealing with the Mexican authorities is bad news and the use of a little common sense will go a long way for you--Hope that Helps--Sun

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
I just came back from two weeks at Catalonia Riviera Maya.

I got asked to "put it out" maybe three times with the cigar (RED led). I had to explain what it was, then it was OK 2 /3 times. The other time the security guy didn't understand and just kept pointing to the excessive clouds of vapor ;-) It was the red led that attracted the attention though.... for the remainder of the stay I held it a bit different so you couldn't see that bright red light from across the room, and didn't have a single problem after that.

The Pilots had a BLUE led. I had no issues at all with those. Nobody even looked twice. I never tried in the restaurants, but puffed away every night in the clubs. In the DISCO the Pilots kept turning on by themselves, so I stuck to the cigar in there.

I was the only one on the entire resort with an e-cig, and nobody working there, nor a single guest had ever seen one before.... that surprised me. The same staff works in all the places every day / night though. A lot of curiosity, once you show them what it is once, there's no more questions and you can puff away happily after that anywhere you want.

You don't have to worry about it being taken away or anything though, if you're worried about that.

Last edited:

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
note : transport all your stuff in CHECKED baggage, not your carry on.

I just brought my cigar and a couple batteries and refills on the plane in carry-on.
Juice and all the rest of the stuff was in the bag with all the "bathrorom stuff". It all went thru x-ray just fine. Lots of people have had e-cigs going on planes, and it's not a problem so far.

P.S.

Puffing on the plane is easy, if you can be real discreet, and hold the vapor in for a few seconds so there's no cloud of vapor :) Beats the heck out of gum or patches for 5 hours

I puffed in the airport too ( that 3 hour period before your flight leaves sucks) Again, being discreet about showing off the LED and not making clouds around me.

Last edited:

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
As far as I know they hardly ever search anything going INTO Mexico. Getting out is another story. You could always sell your stuff to Lithium before you come back across, He is out of everything and back on analogs. He will no dought be along to answer your question any minute though.

Why would there be a problem getting out of Mexico? You check your baggage at the counter when you get your ticket, and you don't see it again until you get home.... nobody looks at it at all.

When you get to Mexico, there's red light / green light random luggage checking on entry to the country. Maybe that's what you are thinking about?

About their new laws, I read that entire thing, translated. It appears to me that you can't sell cigarette looking type things, and you can't IMPORT them. I really doubt a tourist with an e-cig in their baggage counts as importing them, and I doubt even more they'd take them away. Just don't be puffing away on it going thru customs, or something lame like that and you'll be fine :)

Mexican

Mar 10, 2009
Monterrey, Mexico
Providence as RjG says the law here in Mexico is that you can not import or sell e-cigs. So as long as you bring one or more of different styles, unpack and used they will notice they are for personal use and not for sale. You should have no problems going through customs.

As for vaping inside restaurants and bars you will be asked to put it away. You should explain it is not smoke and no problem. I have been vaping here in all kind of places and after they know it is not smoke they become curios and let you vape. This happens with the red led type.

jmoney

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
Texas
I am traveling to cancun on Friday and I would really like to take my ecigarette with me. If I do get searched at customs, what would they do if they found it in the bag?

secondly, should i simply bring a bag of spare cartridges or could i bring a refill jar that i have clearly labeled from johnsoncreeksmokejuice.com i really would like to avoid an incident as I am traveling with my parents.

C´mon!
Use your common sense, and don´t let be driven by TV news or fear!

I live in Cancun. I vape all around. Walmart, Home Depot, malls, restaurants like Tycoz (you should try it! Very yummi baguettes), VIPS, Sanborns. At first people just turn around and they just keep looking the lighted led (if it´s red or orange) and when they do you can just perform a little theatrical moves like puffing a little more and putting it in your pocket, they get very confused by this. :evil: When you disassemble the battery from the atomizer, or when you explain it is not hot ash and put your finger in it and you don´t get burn at all, then they get curious about the ciggie. You can give then a demo.
Your concern about mexican customs or airport check-in, it´s very simple.
In your handbag or backpack, (the one you keep with you when you get in the airplane), just place a little bag containing your bathroom stuff (toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, some makeup) AND include some regular pens. With them, include your fully assembled e-cig. About your e-liquids, just take away the labels. Use your common sense and just carry 1 little bottle with you. The rest of them, put it in the big suitecase with the clothes. Or just don´t bring them all, just the little one, and give me a call, I will sell you some. ;)
The police can´t detain you for using it in public (Most of them doesn´t know what that "thing" is anyway). Don´t be afraid to get out of your hotel to get a walk, and enjoy downtown. It´s not true that narcos and police just shoot each other in every corner. They shoot, it´s a fact, but in places you shouldn´t go. It´s like if I would go to NY, and then ask to the taxi-driver: "Take me to the heart of the Bronx".
You can get a cab and ask to be driven to downtown, Av. Tulum, to the "Ayuntamiento".
This place is totally safe for you and offers restaurants, Ultrafemme, etc.
Around there it´s an italian restaurant you should try, called Rolandi´s.
Then you get another cab, and ask to be driven to "Plaza de las americas". It´s a mall where you are going to find some fun!
Then, when you can´t walk anymore because your feet are sore, get another cab back to the hotel zone, where your hotel room is waiting for you.
I hope this helps a lot of afraid american people. ;)
And I hope you pay me a visit! :D

berty

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
All of these opinions are great, but where can we get the information with regard to the legality of bringing e-cigs to Cancun under Mexican law. I want to abide by their law, not simply skirt it. My box mod e-cig was $200+ and I won't bring it if it's not legal. I also won't be booking any future vacations to Mexico if it's not legal. Been off tobacco for over 6 months and would be back on it tomorrow if it not for the e-cig.

berty:

I live in Mexico. Finding these kinds of details can sometimes be difficult, even for Mexicans, and Google doesn't make it any easier. My understanding is that the law bans the importation or sale of them, but I admit that I haven't seen a copy of the law itself. I will try to see what I can find out, if you're still looking at this thread.

That said, I went through the Cancun airport with 6 months worth of supplies on me. The customs agent looked over them and knew exactly what they were and sent me on my merry way, no questions asked.

I would also like to note, since some people here seem to be quite alarmed by the state of affairs in Mexico, that the worse the police are likely to do would be to write a ticket, payable immediately in cash. This is sometimes done to Americans (and Mexicans as well) for completely legal things, or honest, harmless mistakes like turning the wrong way down an empty 1-way street in the middle of the night where there are no signs indicating that it's a one-way. It's part of being here, and it happens to everyone. Nothing to get too worried about. You certainly won't be thrown in prison or smeared narco-style on the pavement for vaping. And just like anywhere else, there are nice cops and there are mean cops.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread