Status
Not open for further replies.

dnakr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2008
Virginia, USA
I thought some might find this interesting.

My husband is going on a trip to Mexico next week and just called me to let me know that even if I wanted to go that I wouldn’t after reading this – LOL...

Apparently Mexico has banned electronic cigarettes. Mexico was the last place I thought that would ban it.

Here is the link:
Translated version of http://www.cofepris.gob.mx/notas_principal/cigar_electr.html

Edited: Better? Can you read it now?

Last edited:

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
First ...

Be alert to the public that there is no scientific evidence that smoking is an electronic medical effective alternative to quitting, since there is no evidence of the efficacy and safety of the product. So we recommend not buying it.

Great ... So why not ban tobacco cigs in general? At least you know it kills ...

Secondly ...

The consumption of nicotine causes respiratory diseases, cancer, cardiovascular and cerebrovascular problems, which can cause death from smoking.

oi vey ...

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
well the article says the reason it is banned is because it is not an certified NRT though the mexican government thinks that that its what it is claiming to be. this can only be blamed on the people who marketed it incorrectly and proves that it should never be marketed like this. shame on suppliers who do this, they will ruin it for e-cig users. amazing that mexico can push through a law like this so quickly too.

i know what snuff is but does anyone know if my understanding of snuff is the correct understanding of the word used here ?

Last edited:

SMILIN

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2008
CHITOWN USA
www.vapor4life.com
To me, reading between the lines, it say's, Big Tobacco(pharmacutical) controls Mexico's govt. to the point of excluding ANY other means of nicotine alternative. Unless of course, they PAY $$$$$."8-o

I will still bring my ecigs to mexico when I go, nobody gonna really know the govt. does not want importation, or use. Even if they did, they want my $$$$ more:cool:

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
there are a few motives for any country to ban them they are:

because the tobacco industry influenced the decision
because the pharmaceutical industry influenced the decision
because they fear the lose of revenue from tobacco taxes
because they use tobacco as a population control
because they are concerned about their citizens' health.

i really do not know which applies in this case and it would take some work to find out for sure.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
There could be any number of wheeling-and-dealing reasons why this was done. And you're right about confusing the issue with quotes about "snuff". Snuff is smokeless, so maybe our e-cigs fall under the "snuff" category in Mexico. We're smokeless.

But I think a big problem for a world heading off tobacco smoking is that e-smoking too closely mimics real smoking. We can whine all we like, but the quicker e-smoking moves to devices that don't look like "real cigarettes," the better for acceptance by the public and regulatory agencies.

That, and we better get science on our side. Wonderful anecdotes are meaningless.

slianfoxob

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2008
Bethlehem, PA
There could be any number of wheeling-and-dealing reasons why this was done. And you're right about confusing the issue with quotes about "snuff". Snuff is smokeless, so maybe our e-cigs fall under the "snuff" category in Mexico. We're smokeless.

But I think a big problem for a world heading off tobacco smoking is that e-smoking too closely mimics real smoking. We can whine all we like, but the quicker e-smoking moves to devices that don't look like "real cigarettes," the better for acceptance by the public and regulatory agencies.

That, and we better get science on our side. Wonderful anecdotes are meaningless.

hey bob,

hows the weather down there? used to live near ft. laud and i miss it sometimes.

anyway, i think you have the right idea about changing designs. I personally picked up my 901 in black with a blue LED. I like the size to be simliar to a real cig but different colors and such will help avoid unwanted similarities. The more our e-cigs look less like analogs, the better.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Dry snuff is inhaled through the nose while wet snuff or "chew" is placed along the inside of the lip. Unfortunately, translation is probably the problem here but that still doesn't change the fact that the COFEPRIS came up with this conclusion... which is now a strike.

As far as companies marketing the e-cig as a quit smoking device, it shouldn't be done. Can it help people? Absolutely. But people use mj joints and that works too! It depends on the user... just like the patch or the gum.

Bummer though that Mexico went and did this and as quickly as they did.

Dr. Russell Fell

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
Florida
Dry snuff is inhaled through the nose while wet snuff or "chew" is placed along the inside of the lip. Unfortunately, translation is probably the problem here but that still doesn't change the fact that the COFEPRIS came up with this conclusion... which is now a strike.

As far as companies marketing the e-cig as a quit smoking device, it shouldn't be done. Can it help people? Absolutely. But people use mj joints and that works too! It depends on the user... just like the patch or the gum.

Bummer though that Mexico went and did this and as quickly as they did.

Hey, another Floridian!

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
We cannot be assumed to know the law in all countries.

So if something unexpected happens to make your product illegal in a specific country, the customer should be stuck? Wow. Makes someone cautious about ordering.

A supplier can resell an unused, returned product. A customer in a country with a ban is out their money. Now, that doesn't seem fair to me ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread