Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Funny, SG threw in his two cents but of course didn't have a study to support the statement. How can a person that constantly shoots from the hip be taken even remotely serious?

"Greg Conley, president of the American vaping Association, believes the findings provide evidence that e-cigarettes are helping people quit tobacco.

"This study should give great pause to those who have used shoddy science to claim that vaping does not help smokers quit," he said.

According to Conley, more than 2.6 million ex-smokers are vaping.

"This translates into hundreds of millions of packs of cigarettes that are not being smoked each year. This number would be even higher but for the relentless campaign to mislead the public about vaping products," Conley said."

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-05-adults-vaping-current.html

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Unfortunately, glANTZ is in there too:
Glantz also questions whether e-cigarettes help people quit smoking. "For most people, e-cigarettes make it harder to quit smoking," he said.

"So, while they are promoted as a smoking-cessation aid, they actually make it harder to quit smoking," he said.
Er, what?

Last edited:

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Unfortunately, glANTZ in in there too:

Er, what?

Exactly, I was around a 2 PAD smoker and thanks to vaping and the folks on this site getting me focused I haven't had a cigarette in over six years. That only cigarette's 87600 cigarettes avoided.

SG is pud!

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I HATE cherry pickers, unless they are actually, factually, really up in a tree harvesting me fresh cherries.

Interesting article though.

Glantz didn't "cherry pick" that statement if I'm recalling the original article. HE MADE IT UP, out of THIN AIR. There was a lot of "potentially" "indicates" "possibility" in his "data," but the one about how vaping makes it HARDER to quit, he did not even ATTEMPT to cite evidence, he made it up in his own little head. Literally, factually, actually, etc.

He's a treat. :(

Anna

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Three and a half years ago me and one other guy were the only vapers in the shop where I work. Since then it's fairly obvious The vapers appear to outnumber the smokers and tend to be the youngest employees, which should be encouraging.

This observation is not science, it's truth. As we've learned, science and truth are not the same thing.

marianna

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
Netherlands
My English is probably not good enough, 'cause I don't understand this (or I refuse to believe my eyes):

"The increase in e-cigarette use among former smokers and those who have never smoked is troubling, Glantz added. "It's just expanding the tobacco epidemic," he said."

Huh? I don't even use tobacco flavors.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    The article says people are quitting ecigs, without the slightest statement one way or the other whether they're going back to smoking or quitting entirely.

Glantz sounds like a random sentence generator. Thing is, some of these people seem to think we were going into a "tobacco endgame" after which tobacco would never be used again. Vaping is going to seem horrible to them, as it has no great reason to ever end. Their fallacy is that smoking, and everything like it, is going away. The huge popularity of smoking relates to something being inherently appealing about it to humans, it is not just stupidity manipulated by evil tobacco sellers.

I do think there is a convenience store ecig market that is fairly seperate from the true vaper market that confuses analysis. These are people that putter with crap ecig products as an occasional break from smoking or use them only in situations that don't allow smoking such as perhaps inside their own house. Of course many of these people will eventually go back to smoking.

Marc411

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2014
    Windy City
    I do think there is a convenience store ecig market that is fairly seperate from the true vaper market that confuses analysis. These are people that putter with crap ecig products as an occasional break from smoking or use them only in situations that don't allow smoking such as perhaps inside their own house. Of course many of these people will eventually go back to smoking.

I would have to agree that most do not understand the overall industry and the products available in the market. Most of what I read are studies completed with older products or cig-likes which are not the main products used by people that have moved away from combustible cigarettes. That being said I really do not believe that they have any interest in being knowledgeable as using dated or unpopular products for their studies suits their purposes of conveying a negative message. Cig-likes were an entry to vaping to me but the real assistance with quitting came when I moved to the improved technology. They have no interest in changing their negative narrative!

Marc411

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2014
    Windy City
    I wonder how "Doctor" Glantz would explain how (since the advent of vaping) smoking rates have been falling at a record pace.
    Would he even bother to try?

Again, it doesn't fit the narrative so they will not talk about the successes people are having by using updated technology or flavors to quit cigarettes. When our elected officials completely ignore the data provided by the Royal College of Physicians and put 400,000 lives at stake annually it sends a strong message to the people that know the truth. It's about money.

You would think that since the Royal College of Physicians accurately conveyed the hazards of smoking the the general public back in the 1960's that more politicians would listen now and work towards saving lives. But lets not forget that would impede the profitability of the medical world not treating patients for cancer or other diseases related to smoking, pharmaceutical companies pushing drugs and for gods sake the MSA money that big tobacco doles out every year to 46 states.

Hell it's only 400,000 lives a year, profits are much more important.

anajames

Moved On
    Feb 15, 2017
    • Deleted by classwife
    • Reason: Spam
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread