mini protank 2 burning juice

Status
Not open for further replies.
So just when I think I have this whole vaping thing figured out

Picked up a mini protank 2 the other day, after about 1 day of use, it starts burning the juice inside. Not hitting good and getting burnt taste. Put a new coil inside same thing after 1 day. I can even see the juice gets darker in the tank.

Never had this problem with the evod or big protank 2.

I am at a lose here.. any thoughts?

First arty was 1.8 and the second was 2.2. Using a ego style battery. The first time I just thought I let the tank get too low.. but same thing on second coil

DasBluCig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Chichester, NH
What are you running for voltage on the eGo (assuming a vv model.....)?? Best to start LOW and work up to the point where you get a good vape with the juice you're using....If you're vaping a thick/sweet juice the coil will tend to gunk up quicker than a thinner juice....you can try thinning the juice with a DROP OR TWO of distilled water per tankful...BTW....I'm using a full-sized Protank 2......
My early-day vape is a VERY thick coffee juice - and I find I need to clean/dry burn/re-wick every day or so....it's just the nature of SOME e-liquids...
let us know how you make out!! Good luck!
Happy (vaping) Trails!

Kabooma

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2013
Eastern PA
I've had nothing but problems with the protank II mini, bought two, they draw too much air, for starters. Both just got a burnt taste, while the tanks were full! Once the taste came on, it never left, even after a full cleaning and vodka soak.. I would guess it's crappy wicks, but I don't know enough to really say. I went back to vivi novas, which aren't perfect, but they all have positives and negatives and they are so far the best fit I can find. Evods were okay, but messier for some reason, and my juices crack the plastic.

I have read more bad comments about those than good. When I was looking to buy one, a reviewer said "...The shop told me that the coils provided with the tank have been giving people problems. So, word to the wise, if you buy this tank, buy the 5 pack...coils along with it."
Wanna be a millionaire in 2014? Invent a good glass tank that will not fail.

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
These are great tanks IMHO. You just have to know how to work with them. When you assemble it, do not tighten it too tight. Just enough to feel resistance. When you first fill it, attach it to your battery and give it 4 or 5 long slow draws without firing the battery. This will juice the wicks. The first couple of draws will not have a lot of flavor but after that they should be OK. Personally, I get the best vape at 2 volts above whatever ohm coil I have in. When you draw on it, take long slow draws.

jcp42877

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
Morrow
I'm using a Protank 2 full size right now, and it keeps burning my cotton wicks for some reason; the flavor wicks as well. Never had this problem on my older Protank 2 i bought a couple of months ago. It could be my juice...its 70/30 but the batch that was just sent to me seems to be darker than the previous batch, despite everything in the mix being the same.

Funny thing too is, its burning my wicks at weak voltage too. There is no reason in hell why a 2.8 ohm head should be burning at 3.7 volts/5.5 wattage..ridiculous.

sorry for the lack of replies.. was working a double at work stuck with burnt juice.

So I washed out the atty and tank then let it dry out for about a half hour. got rid of the burnt taste but still was hitting very light. Then I screwed the base to the battery tighter and that solved that problem. I was happy with the world

until I woke up at took a puff.. nasty burnt taste and instantly turned the juice in the tank dark. Oh an as I was cleaning the tank I noticed there is a chip in the top part of the glass. just got it 3 days ago and havnt dropped it so I will be exchanging it tommrrow

maybe I just got a bad pack of attys.. maybe I shouldn't leave them in the glove box of my car in cold weather. So I am at work again with my old faithful evod ( ha.. just as I type this it flooded).

actually the evod is starting to taste burnt.. that would be awesome because then I would know its the juice.. well not really cause the atty came from the same pack.

edit: changed their to there and is to it

Last edited:
Welcome!

I have also been disappointed in my PTs. My PT3 is ridiculous. I have no real issues with leaking, and after a little fiddling with the center shaft I have no gurgle issues. But in one week I killed both of the new coils that came with it. Oddly it always read 2 ohms on my eVic, but it didn't produce any vapor, and burned my throat. It didn't produce a burned flavor, it actually burned untill I would start choking. I have tried cleaning the coils with water and everclear, and doing dry burns to no avail. I bought a pack of new coils yesterday so we'll see if it is the stock coils.

My PT2 seems to be fine, but the flavor is very muted. If I crank it up until I start to get decent flavor it starts to get burned.

So I am feeling your pain.

I just bought an iClear30B yesterday at my local B&M. It has much better flavor than the PTs do, and so far it is my favorite tank. I cannot say much about it's long term performance but based on it's favor here on ECF I am assuming it will be solid. Although I have seen a bunch of mixed reviews I elected to order an Aspire ViviNova BDC and an Aspire Davide because I, too, have become disenchanted with the Kanger PT series.

jcp42877

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
Morrow
I hate getting crap stuff, and I can definitely relate with my latest package from my local shop, that I never have any problems with.

Ordered a Protank 2, Steam STM-1 Mod, some extra protank coils, and a 60mL bottle of key lime menthol juice (the typical blend I order from them)

Firstly, the mod is overpowered and melted a 2.8 ohm coil and only 3.0V (yes...3frakkinVOLTS) while cleaning the head. The batteries are supposed to charge to 4.1V but overcharge to 4.6V. The Protank can't screw on all the way, or it cuts off the airflow; thus making me have to unscrew it a full turn, where it then lacks airflow and i have to draw harder which makes my coils burn quicker, and it floods the tank...not to mention the tank is wobbly now that it isn't screwed down all the way.

Secondly, the stock PT2 coils were defective and broke in a day.

Thirdly, the juice I ordered is shades darker than what it normally is (its usually an off white, since its mostly menthol with key lime flavoring..this time its dark piss yellow-brown color), and is seeming to gunk up and work the wicks harder than normal.

I think I'm going to try to head over to the vape shop near the base I'm stationed at and buy the MVP 2.0 kit. Will get a battery I KNOW works great with the Protank (my buddy has the same setup), I get to try an iClear 30 that comes with it, AND it's all cheaper than what I paid on that one mod...

Sorry for the vent...just thought I could relate. Nothing more frustrating than wanting a good vape and having gear consistently mess up on you and taste/work differently than the way it did before you went to sleep the night before.

lansens

Verified Member
Dec 25, 2013
Chicago, USA
I've had simular issues with my PTII and Unitank. While the Unitank is coming around on flavor the PTII is not. Everyday maintenance is not something I want to do and thus far this seems the case on both Kanger tanks. I picked up a couple of Smoktech 6ml tanks and they seem to last a day or so longer before needing a cleaning. I'm using a Vision spinner with this tank FYI. To this point I am very unsatisfied with my vaping experience however it has provided me the gift of giving up these awful analogs. I am also considering the MVP 2.

amesenbrink

Nov 10, 2013
My wife has a mini protank 2 and over all its works really well. There are a few things you need to know though. First the factory coils that came in the box are 1.8 ohm. If you have a vv device start around 3.7 watts and move up from there. I've noticed a burnt taste as low as 4.3watts. After 1 week or every few tanks I'll switch the coil and let the old one soak in distilled water over night.

The o-rings that it comes with are not great, I switched the top one for a #6 o-ring from Home Depot. On the bottom just make sure everything is lined up after cleaning. When filling the tank I always lift the little rubber cap on the coil just a tad so it isn't compressed allowing a leak.

When you first put in a new or cleaned coil hand tighten everything so it's closed but not super tight. You need to do a couple draws to wick the juice into a fresh, or cleaned coil. While not as good a rba dripper and mechanical mod these tanks do work and have decent flavor, this is my wife's edc and she has not complained about it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Vagabondo

Dec 28, 2013
Sweden
I've got a similar experience with the PT2. Bought it from fast tech along with 5 "authentic kanger protank coils". Both the original coils that came along the tank and the 5 spare coils had a terribly burnt taste at low watts too, and not much vapor.

I have tried everything, removing flavour wick, washed the coils thourghly, rewicked the coils, nothing has helped.
I was really starting to lose hope about this tank and could not understand what all the hooray was about.

Got some new coils in my last vapemail, tried 1 out today and now I think the tank is a very good one. Can go as far as 11 watts on my Vamo 5 and still no burnt taste.

But i'm still clueless to what the problem is with the coils that taste rubbery burnt, even after rewicking.

Any ideas?

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I've been running and rebuilding protanks since they first came out with no problems with them whatsoever. Your going to have to learn some DIY with stock coils..thats the way it goes. IMO part of the coils burning so fast is the way the stock coils are wrapped, they have a 3 wrap-space-3wrap configuration if you take the chimney off and see. That space only causes the juice to heatup and burn not vaporize properly. Take a pin and make all the wraps the same distance apart thus removing the space, also with the same pin slide it through the coil and lift it up some (bent legs and too low coil might be burnt rubber taste) along with adding beefier longer flavor wick(s) from a old top coil atty or silica inhand.
The protanks along with all other delivery systems aren't plug and play and if you think you can vape without having to do nothing but fill attys, vape and repeat then your just fooling yourself. There are oodles of threads of people with different protank issues and almost all can be solved with simple fixes unless you've lost a oring down the drain but that can be solved also with running your waste water or vodka soak through a sieve to trap a rogue oring..its saved me several orings I could have lost.
The best is to learn to recoil your protank heads, you will be a much happier vaper and will figure out real quick that your crappiest rebuild is 1000 times better than any stock coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread