Mini Vivi Nova throat hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Coolidge, Arizona, United States
Need some help with the Mini Vivi Nova...

I just bought 2 of them with the 2.8 heads.

I am using them on an Ego Twist at 4.8 volts.

Flavor is similar to my stardusts
Vapor is fine
Throat hit is lacking... every now and then it is ok...but its intermitent.

I notice if i take a very hard draw, it gives a good throat hit.
But I sometimes will get juice in my mouth...

I bought the ego sleeve to cover the threads. I notice if I plug one of the holes...it makes the draw harder...but not really making the throat hit any better.

Any suggestions? I am searching google...but all i can really find are sale ads saying this vivi nova has a better throat hit, lol.
Any mods I can do to make the throat hit any better?

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
I took the material covering the hole off. I then adjusted the thread ring a little and that has helped with the over airy draw.
My juice is DIY and is 50/50 24mg. I used this on a Stardust and it had a much stronger throat hit than the Vivi Nova. The Nova has better flavor and vapor though...

Yinzer

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2011
Pittsburgh
I replaced the silica wicks in my vision v3 stardust heads with rolled cotton I bought at Rite Aid. Pulled some off, rolled it up, wet the tip, slipped it through the coils and trimmed. The TH, vapor production, and flavor were all markedly improved. Haven't had a single dry hit yet. 2.8 head, 4.5 or 4.6 volts, the TH is almost too much.

I find that the stock wicks just can't keep up. I'm replacing the wicks as soon as I open a fresh one :)

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
I did get some dry hits on the Stardust....I can easily tell the difference.
The Vivi has not given me a single dry hit yet.... even chain vaping.
As long as a do the twist/swish method every now and then.....and keep the juice level decent.

Is there a video or anything on replacing the wics with the cotton? I wouldnt mind trying it.
I did see some posts with pics about it..... do you simple pull out the silica and then twist the cotton and put it through?
Most of what I saw was also replacing the coil...which I would prefer not to do every time I change the head.... plus I do not have any Kanthal or anything.

Yinzer

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2011
Pittsburgh
I did get some dry hits on the Stardust....I can easily tell the difference.
The Vivi has not given me a single dry hit yet.... even chain vaping.
As long as a do the twist/swish method every now and then.....and keep the juice level decent.

Is there a video or anything on replacing the wics with the cotton? I wouldnt mind trying it.
I did see some posts with pics about it..... do you simple pull out the silica and then twist the cotton and put it through?
Most of what I saw was also replacing the coil...which I would prefer not to do every time I change the head.... plus I do not have any Kanthal or anything.

Yup, that's what I did. Rinsed off and dry burned the silica, to make sure it wasn't gunked to the coil. Slowly pulled the silica wick out. I did a good dry burn with the wick out. Rinsed off the head. Peeled off some cotton from the roll, so that each side would drape below the bottom of the tank. Took a few tries to get the correct diameter. Wet and rolled up the tip, got it through the coil, pulled it through. Took a few tries. Then I trimmed the wicks so they touched the bottom of the tank.

Filled it up, let it sit about ten minutes, then vaped. Like a whole different clearo. Good stuff.

Seems like I'll get about a week of pretty heavy vaping out of each. Flavor drops a little after three or four days (so that it tastes like the original silica :lol:). I'm coming up on a week or so, and it's losing some flavor. It only takes a few minutes to do, and the cotton's cheap, so I'll replace often.

Keep in mind, the wicking is crazy fast, so it encourages higher voltages. The clearo really eats the juice, but the experience is worth it.

Yinzer

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yea, I am using 4.8v on 2.8ohm heads right now.
I do see that it is eating more juice, but it does taste better.
I make my own so its ok if it uses more.

Where did you get the roll of cotton? Can a ball of cotton yarn be used (no additives)?
I do have a ball of yarn at home.... lol

I purchased rolled cotton from Rite Aide. In the first aid section. It's literally called rolled cotton. Along the bottom row. Cost is around 5$
I couldn't find cotton yarn that wasn't bleached.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Do not have the cotton yet.... but made a few adjustments.

1. I have a single wic, I seperated the strands so it is not just one anymore.
2. I cut a very small ring around the plastic cap that sits on the head....
3. I cleaned off the head, and dry burned for a bit

Its hitting like a truck now....

orion7319

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Yea, I am using 4.8v on 2.8ohm heads right now.
I do see that it is eating more juice, but it does taste better.
I make my own so its ok if it uses more.

Where did you get the roll of cotton? Can a ball of cotton yarn be used (no additives)?
I do have a ball of yarn at home.... lol

As long as its pure cotton it's fine, just boil it for 15 minutes and let it dry before using. I got some bamboo thread at Michaels and some nichome wire from here. PnJ Resources, LLC : Nichrome 80 Once you get the hang of rewicking, it's no big deal. Also it breaks down to only penny's per rewick, so I make a new one each day... Nothing like a fresh atty :) Just figure out what OHMs and how many wraps you want to find your sweet spot. For me I like the 32gage wraped 7 times for around 1.8ohms. (The more wraps the more surface area and supposedly finer particles in the vapor) Just make sure you check it with a volt meter for shorts... Or just fire it on a twist as those have short circuit protection... I have yet to have been able to fry one of those...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread