Not open for further replies.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I promised I would test the asMODus Minikin V2 in TC and TCR modes. This mod has a bad reputation for TC performance and I wanted to see for myself, and for the sake of information for others, how it performed for me.

I installed a 24g SS316L micro coil with a resistance of .5 in an OBS Engine Nano. I put this tank on my beloved Minikin and tuned it to TCR mode with a TC value of .00092. It vaped very well at 450°. I switched it over to TC mode and the vape seemed pretty much the same.

I moved the atty to my Battlestar and performed the same tests. It performs a bit better in TCR mode maybe. If I hadn't been doing a side by side comparison, switching the same atty back and forth between the two mods, I doubt I would have noticed any difference.

In TC mode, there was a difference and the Minikin wins that battle, IMO. I had to lower the temperature on the Battlestar to 410° as I can only get it to fire at 100 watts in TC mode. I have the Minikin set to fire at 75 watts in TC mode ( a little tricky to figure out how to change the wattage in TC and TCR modes with the touchscreen.) Maybe there is a way to change those values in the Battlestar but I haven't figured that out yet.

Overall, there isn't much difference between the two, for me, in TCR mode. This is my first test with just the one coil and the one atty but I am happy with the Minikin's performance. I will admit that learning how to use the touchscreen on the Minikin takes some playing around with it, but it isn't that difficult.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Appreciate the comparison. Just out of curiosity... did you let coil come back to room temp before trying on other mod?

Well, maybe not in every test firing but in most of them I did. :D Changing the atty from one to the other, plus playing with the settings gave it enough time to cool down but I left the atty on the Battlestar (turned off of course) and will give it another go today.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I’ve ordered from Breazy.com not the fastest ship out time but once shipped it’s fast. Kinda s*ucks for me as they are located in NYC, warehouse in NJ so they charge me tax. Otherwise for others they love Breazy’s deals.

Same with MVS and Origin Vape. At least with those folks plain first class mail is next day or second day without paying a premium, so the sales tax makes it sort of a wash.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Usps has this new service, it's called informed delivery. You have to sign up for it but it's free. It's pretty cool, every day you get an email with photos of the mail you can expect that day and an option to click that you didn't receive a particular package or piece of mail. I haven't had to do that so I'm not sure where it goes from there. Just thought I'd let my fellow ECF'ers know about it because I know how we all like to stalk any and all vapemail headed are way. It does take away some of the mystery when you already know what's in your mailbox but it's a helpful service in my opinion.

I have had informed delivery since it first became available. Prior to that, there was "My Choice" which was only for packages. It is all under informed delivery now. The option to click if you don't receive a piece of mail is limited to regular mail. If you go to the packages tab, that option isn't there. It was the first thing I looked for when the parcel came up delivered but wasn't in my mailbox.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Second experiment with TCR on the Minikin V2 - I put two coils into the RBA deck of my FireLuke tank. I used stainless steel 316L 24g wire claptoned, wrapped on a 3mm rod, six wraps .21 ohms dual coils. I set it to 75 watts, 425°, .00092 TC precision. The vape is very nice. I need to play with the settings a little to get to a sweet spot but IMO, the Minikin V2 is fine for TC/TCR. This is just my experience.

I put the same tank on my Battlestar, set to 75 watts, 420° - very nice vape. The jury is still out on which is better but I wouldn't avoid a Minikin V2 because of the reports of difficulty with it handling TC and TCR modes. This is just my experience.

Disclaimer - this testing is making me dizzy so I will wait until tomorrow to try TC mode with the FireLuke on each mod.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Nice comparison, I love my Minikin’s & was considering the Battlestar but decided to pass on it.

I can see where one would appeal to some and one would appeal to others. Lots of people were afraid of the Minikin V2 because of the bad rap it has for TC/TCR. I am not an expert on those modes, but they worked just fine for me on the Minikin as I said above. I tend to vape in power mode most of the time anyway but I wanted to compare. I think my copper Battlestar is beautiful but I LOVE the way that Minikin feels in my hand. It is my all time favorite mod.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
I can see where one would appeal to some and one would appeal to others. Lots of people were afraid of the Minikin V2 because of the bad rap it has for TC/TCR. I am not an expert on those modes, but they worked just fine for me on the Minikin as I said above. I tend to vape in power mode most of the time anyway but I wanted to compare. I think my copper Battlestar is beautiful but I LOVE the way that Minikin feels in my hand. It is my all time favorite mod.
I mostly vape in power mode the most too. I was sorely tempted by the Battlestar but I did have 2 Minikin’s :D but shinyitis you know :D I ended up waiting for a bit & got the Tesla Wye 200 which I do love for its lightness & similar shape to the Minikin’s.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Drat it, Pam. Now I am going to have to get a Minikin. Just... maybe in a bit. I have successfully purchased nothing for a bit, I need to buy flavors, but I'm still letting that savings balance sheet balance itself.... LOL.

Thanks for the review, you already know how I feel about your Minikin, :D.

Anna

There just might be some Black Friday sales coming up. Sorry to tempt you but I do LOVE this mod. I am just trying to help. ;)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Nope, I'm good, I actually got 17 flavors and 25 glass bottles, then forced the husband to hand over money. We had a long talk yesterday all about how *he* bought the tobacco and now that only *he* is smoking, the cost of tobacco has dropped by at LEAST $100 a month. (We bought loose tobacco and had an electric injector machine). I then explained that *I* had paid for all my vaping equipment since I started including gallons of frozen nicotine, from my savings. LOL, I shamed him into transferring me some dough, :lol:. He didn't seem to get that since he usually bought the tobacco in the relationship, I actually owe him thousands of dollars.... Or, perhaps he was just being the Great Husband he is, LOL.

It's more that I've received some PIF generosity from some great members, and then I won a brand new setup. So, realistically, there is NO need for me to have a DNA mod at present, I want to investigate IJoy Capitain 100w setup, I'm super excited for it to arrive. I will check out black Friday sales, and if I buy anything it will be the Minikin or the Gaia, but I'm actually more than set, and I was kind of like, "Maybe you should get some of your RTAs working, lady" and since my Kabuki is no longer on the Steampunk, I have it available and it does decent TC, so I'm not worried too much, though I have a feeling I may pick up one of those mods at some point, hopefully in clearance. :)

Anna

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
It's nice to see Minikins can give a serviceable tc vape. Maybe not for the tc aficionado's, but good enough for the rest of us. :p

Definitely! Maybe TC/TCR has improved on this version. IDK The Minikin V2 works as well in TC/TCR mode as any mod I own. I tried the Battlestar again a few minutes ago in both modes and am still not happy with the vape. I suspect it is the fact I can't get it under a 100 watts in TC/TCR mode, so if someone knows how, please share.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I think Breaz
Definitely! Maybe TC/TCR has improved on this version. IDK The Minikin V2 works as well in TC/TCR mode as any mod I own. I tried the Battlestar again a few minutes ago in both modes and am still not happy with the vape. I suspect it is the fact I can't get it under a 100 watts in TC/TCR mode, so if someone knows how, please share.
Found a recommended YT for this; The Devil Vapor , jump to time index 6:55 on how to change tc wattage on Battlestar.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I think Breaz

Found a recommended YT for this; The Devil Vapor , jump to time index 6:55 on how to change tc wattage on Battlestar.

Thanks, that worked. Duh! I know I tried that yesterday and couldn't get it to work but must have done something wrong. Even at 75 watts, the vape is harsh. I will try a different coil at a lower ohm reading. People do love both the OBS Nano and the Battlestar in TCR mode, so I am missing something. It is all trial and error.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Thanks, that worked. Duh! I know I tried that yesterday and couldn't get it to work but must have done something wrong. Even at 75 watts, the vape is harsh. I will try a different coil at a lower ohm reading. People do love both the OBS Nano and the Battlestar in TCR mode, so I am missing something. It is all trial and error.
Start a Battlestar fan club thread. You'll find help refining the tc process faster that way. With ss the tcr values aren't set in stone. Learned that the hard way.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Start a Battlestar fan club thread. You'll find help refining the tc process faster that way. With ss the tcr values aren't set in stone. Learned that the hard way.

For me, a Minikin V2 fan club would be more appropriate but I would like to figure out TC/TCR on both.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
To change wattage in temperature control mode you press and hold fire and "+" buttons. Thanks for the comparison, I'm a huge Battlestar fan, it's my only mod I use. But maybe I'll get a minikin after hearing your appreciation for it's performance.

PJReid

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
To change wattage in temperature control mode you press and hold fire and "+" buttons. Thanks for the comparison, I'm a huge Battlestar fan, it's my only mod I use. But maybe I'll get a minikin after hearing your appreciation for it's performance.

Thank you. I finally figured it out thanks to @Letitia. I know I tried that yesterday but it just wasn't working. I probably had too much going on at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread