TC, TCR, Preheat, ohms lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny55

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
London UK
Hi guys. Having recently got my first temp control mod, I'm learning how to use the various functions but am unclear on a few things. The mod is the Wismec reuleaux RX Gen 3 dual.

PREHEAT
Preheat, how does this work? I've set it for various durations and pre heat power but not noticing anything different when I vape. How should I be using this and is it a worthwhile function?

TC
The manual says TC-SS is suitable for SS316. I have SS317L. So I shouldn't use that mode?

TCR
I notice I can go between TCR M1, M2 and M3. It currently shows TCR 120 M1, 120 M2 and 120 M3. I noticed I can change the number up to 0999. Is that temperature in F or C? It says TCR is for Nickel, NiFe, Titanium, and SS 303, 304, 316, and 317. It says for SS, the value range is 80 to 200. So does that mean the 120 is the default temperature in the 80 to 200 range? And which of M1, M2 and M3 should I be on?

RESISTANCE LOCKING

I figured out how to lock it but don't understand why I need to lock it. My coil resistance is showing 0.63 ohms. But locked or unlocked, I notice it goes to 0.72 ohms when I press the fire button. I don't understand this.

Thanks for any help! :)

Reactions: Izan

Meetzman

May 6, 2017
Still lazing in bed, so forgive the short and sweet...

Preheat - initial watts (joules) targeted for coil (in TC). I generally use what I prefer for standard power mode, less 2 watts. If using power mode, preheat is avoided on drop-in coils (love it on builds).

TC - Manufacturer setting for various wire types, most common being SS316, NI and TI.

TCR (Temperature Coefficient of Resistance) - range of manual set up for specific wire composition. This is where you set vs. manufacturer suggested. Trust this more than predetermined TCR.

Resistance Locking - Most current devices read resistance changes on the fly, so not so relevant. Lock resistance (at room temperature) so constants are kept. Experiment with this, and observe if any changes to vape experience.

• Agree
Reactions: Izan

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi guys. Having recently got my first temp control mod, I'm learning how to use the various functions but am unclear on a few things. The mod is the Wismec Reuleaux RX Gen 3 dual.

PREHEAT
Preheat, how does this work? I've set it for various durations and pre heat power but not noticing anything different when I vape. How should I be using this and is it a worthwhile function?

TC
The manual says TC-SS is suitable for SS316. I have SS317L. So I shouldn't use that mode?

TCR
I notice I can go between TCR M1, M2 and M3. It currently shows TCR 120 M1, 120 M2 and 120 M3. I noticed I can change the number up to 0999. Is that temperature in F or C? It says TCR is for Nickel, NiFe, Titanium, and SS 303, 304, 316, and 317. It says for SS, the value range is 80 to 200. So does that mean the 120 is the default temperature in the 80 to 200 range? And which of M1, M2 and M3 should I be on?

RESISTANCE LOCKING

I figured out how to lock it but don't understand why I need to lock it. My coil resistance is showing 0.63 ohms. But locked or unlocked, I notice it goes to 0.72 ohms when I press the fire button. I don't understand this.

Thanks for any help! :)
Hi Danny,
I'm no expert so you are gonna get the quick and dirty.

PREHEAT= delivers a higher wattage "pulse" to bring large coils up to vaping temperature fast.
As you are just starting out, ignore or disable this feature.

TCR = different coil materials, (Stainless steel, nickle, zirconium,etc,) each heat up and change resistance in their own unique way. TCR is the "map" the chip uses to "estimate" the temperature of the material based on it's change in resistance. It is not an F/C value but an algorithmic value specific to each material.
If the coil material you use is listed (317), just use that setting.
The M(X) settings are for custom materials that are not listed. The (120) is just a place holder. Again, you can ignore the "M(X)" options for now.

RESISTANCE LOCKING
= provides a base line value for the chip to begin it's resistance/temperature calculations. In general, it is not needed for the chip to do it's job. (based upon average room temperatures)
If you are in a sauna or on the ski slopes, the ambient temperature (baseline) will be outside of the "normal" range and the resistance lock may be needed.

Some folks have had great success with the Joyetech firmware and it's functionality in TC mode.
I was not able to make it work to my satisfaction and changed to the ARTICFOX version. I now install the AF firmware on any Joye/Eleaf/Wismec devices that I may use for TC.
In wattage mode, the Joye version works great for my wife and me.

HTH
Izan

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
<snip> I chose an arbitrary number for TCR,
You should be using TC mode for SS .
At .63Ω, I would set watts to about 20W-25W and temperature to 215C.
Increase watts as needed.

it's at 205c. When I press the fire button, it doesn't actually go to 205, it goes up incrementally to about 160, 170, maybe 190 or so. So how do I get it to be the temp I set?
What is your wattage set to?
Are you in TC SS mode?
Are you using a SS317 coil? Did you install the coil or is it a drop in?
And just to check.. how is the vape? Too warm, too cool? too weak? too strong?
Does the juice taste like you expect?
I always start in wattage mode, hunt and peck for a wattage that i like and then jump to TC mode and set temp to 215C.
230C is for me, the max safe temperature.

Cheers
I

Custom (M1) TCR values:
https://www.djlsbvapes.com/different-wires/

Last edited:

Danny55

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
London UK
But it says TC mode is suitable for SS 316 and my wire is 317L. My wattage is 30w. The temperature doesn't reach the number I set in either TC or TCR mode.

I built dual coils 28 gauge 317 about 7 or 8 wraps each. That was before I had a mod that could do much lower so I'm going to rebuild new coils around 0.2 ohms or use the twisted coils that came with the OBS Engine.

Vape is fine, nice and warm. I have a problem tasting juices properly but yeah, tastes as it did with my 50w Sigelei only a bit warmer now which I like.

akiraceos

Oct 12, 2013
Sarawak, Malaysia.
But it says TC mode is suitable for SS 316 and my wire is 317L. My wattage is 30w. The temperature doesn't reach the number I set in either TC or TCR mode.

I built dual coils 28 gauge 317 about 7 or 8 wraps each. That was before I had a mod that could do much lower so I'm going to rebuild new coils around 0.2 ohms or use the twisted coils that came with the OBS Engine.

Hi, apologies for not seeing this thread sooner. Hopefully you've got it settled! If not:

317L still works fine for TC. If temperature doesn't reach the number u set, try increasing your watts (by increasing watts, you're only reducing the time it takes for the coil to heat up to set temperature). If you're watts is too low, it may not reach the desired temp at all. With dual coils, at that gauge and wraps, I personally would prefer 50W with preheat set at 60W. TCR for SS317L is 0.00088 @ https://www.djlsbvapes.com/different-wires/ . I've checked your mod's manual and the TCR values u can input are 100000xTCR values posted in the link. So u should be using 88 as your TCR value for SS317L.

Feel free to ask on more things, as i'm glad you're going into TC :)
Also, If you want more details/tutorials on TC, I would appreciate it if you'd check out my new Youtube channel under 'Niche Vapes' :)

cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread