Mixing my own juice (VG question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

memento21

Mar 19, 2012
Scotland
Hi folks. As some of you might remember from my other questions, I have been forced into only smoking VG. Pg really doesn't agree with me. I noticed there wasn't the same amount of choice for VG based juices so I decided to make my own. I have no problem in admitting I am a food and wine snob so I am planning on making some good quality stuff. Thats the plan anyway ;)
I have bought some stuff already, flavouring and flavourless nic from totally wicked as well as VG from Boots.
Ok first question. One thing that annoys me about VG is how thick it is. It doesn't work too well with my ego stardust.
Can I cut it with water or booze etc? If so how does this effect the taste and vapour production etc. Also, what is the ration I should cut with. Like 85% VG 15% water?
Second question, I assume the flavourless nic from Totally wicked is fine (although if there is a cheaper place with good quality stuff then that would be great to know as well) but is there somewhere where I can buy top quality flavouring? Maybe another site, maybe an online food store? Basically I want to make premium juice so I am willing to go to a bit of effort to find things like flavours that are actually really good.
In saying this, maybe the TW stuff is really good and I'm best using it. As you can tell, I am new to all this and really just want pointed in the right direction.
Many thanks in advance :)

TigerLadyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
Garland, TX
While I am not sure of the % that you would need to thin VG with, I know that you can, indeed, thin VG with distilled water and/or pure grain alcohol. Just remember that you can always add more, but you cannot take out what you put in.. so my suggestion would be to be very conservative and add just a wee, tiny bit at a time then shake it like a mad fiend before testing to see if more might be necessary.

~Tiger

memento21

Mar 19, 2012
Scotland
Thanks again for the advice.
I will narrow this down a little to what I would still like answered.
Does anyone know a UK based site where I can get cheap Flavourless Nic base that is of good quality. That dessert e cig you listed looks great but it is in the states (Sorry I should have said I was in the UK and looking for fast delivery).
The other question I have is, what is the difference between using alcohol and water to cut the VG, is one better than the other, and if anyone has had success with cutting levels then that would be great to know what percent to cut..

Many thanks again guys :)

TommyG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
Aurora, CO
Ecigexpress has a really nice DIY selection with tons of flavors from a really nice line up of different companies. You can get your nic mix at 100% VG, and they sell sweetener in crystal form so you could have 100% VG sweetener. Really good place to check out.

Edit:
Of course my knowledge is USA based, just saw the location, but I know some of the flavors come from Italy so there has to be something out your way. They do ship internationally.

Last edited:

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I mix 100% VG for my wife. I cut it with 20% distilled water and Everclear. I mix her juice in 35ml batches. So, for that I use 5ml distilled water and 2ml Everclear. To be honest, I can't really say what it does to the vapor. I mixed a smaller batch that way the first time; it worked, she liked it and I left it alone. I'd say that it's at least as much vapor as I get out of my 70/30 PG/VG. If you do this with an already made batch, you will seriously wash out both the flavor and the nic unless you add those in proportion as well.

Be sure to use distilled water to avoid mineral build up in your atomizers. The Everclear helps with throat hit which is another drawback of VG.

memento21

Mar 19, 2012
Scotland
Ok, so the reason for using alcohol is for throat hit? Does it affect the tast?
I see someone uses vodka, is that just normal vodka?
Ok to ask yet more questions,
Am I right in thinking that if my mix calls for (and these are just stupid amounts for arguments sake) 10 drops of vg, 10 drops of Vg flavour nic and ten drops of flavour.
Would it work the same flavour wise if i did everything the same but replaced the 10 drops of VG with 8 drops of VG and 2 drop of either water of booze?
Sorry for being such a noob about this lol. I think I will have to go research this somewhere and not waste all your guys time.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
You really need to get into the DIY section (link above) to see some recipes. That will help you.

Flavoring is very concentrated... so some are 1 or 2 drops in 10ml of e-juice, others need more. VG mutes flavor too (but makes a lot of vapor). PG carries flavor and adds TH. The alcohol adds the TH and may help carry flavor too (it does for food!). As you've noted, some flavors are only available in PG bases so be cautious of this.

Basically, yes, substituting the booze for some of the VG is the answer, but keep it's % of the whole in mind so you know what % booze is in your mix.

See the DIY section for more TH and thinning hints.

I don't add alcohol to my e-jucie, but I would think it does have an effect on the flavor to some extent. That's why some use Everclear/PGA vs Vodka. Also you don't want a booze that has much if any sugars still in it. Can't give you any details tho since I don't do it (yet).

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Look guys. DIY can be simple too.

Let's say I want 100% VG 24 mg vanilla juice. I could just order it that way. For better savings, I'd order 48 mg nic base and cut it in 1/2.

So it works like this:

* Pour 48 mg VG base in a dripper bottle...until 1/2 full.
* Add 2 drop vanilla flavoring per 10 ml of bottle size (from e-cig vendor...not off store shelf...not the same stuff) Use VG flavors if possible.
* Add X drops distilled water to thin.
* Fill the rest of the bottle with VG.
* Shake the heck out of it.

It doesn't have to be rocket science. Just order bases in amounts easily divided into what you want. If I had wanted 18 mg, I'd have started with 36 mg base. Still saves $$.

I'm not that fond of having too high a nic base around anyway.

The reason this works so easily is that you filled the bottle 1/2 way with 2x nic strength and the other 1/2 with the "other stuff..." flavorings, water and VG... so you know you cut the 2x base in 1/2 to desired strength.

Works for other fractions of a bottle too. For example: using 100% VG 48 mg base and filling that to 1/4 bottle and filling the rest with PG and flavorings gives 12 mg 75% PG, 25% VG flavored.

The other trick here is if you want..say... 25% VG and 75% PG. Then you would start out with your 2x nic base at 50/50 PG/VG mix and fill the top 1/2 with PG using PG flavorings. So you'd have 75% PG, 25 % VG and desired strength nic when done. Easy....but think 1st. It's just ratios. Double check with the e-juice calculator if not sure.

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Another, even simpler way, is to just order the unflavored nic base in the desired nic strength and pg/vg ratio and add a few drops of flavorings.

It will dilute the nic by, say, 10% but you may not even notice that. Of course, if you want 100% VG, use only VG based flavors (and thin with distilled water). Using the more concentrated flavoring will reduce the amount that you'd cut the nic.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
A little off topic, but I've tried to figure out what mix the Dekang flavors I get are. I know that Dekang is available anywhere from 100% PG to 100% VG and everywhere in between. The 3&5 I get from Madvapes doesn't say, but it wicks into a Boge carto as well as my 100% PG juices from Awesome Vapor who advertises the mix as 100% PG.

Premixed juices should have a content label, even if it's vague on the flavorings and the rest of the mix. PG/VG mix should be listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread