Mod Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldManMerton

Apr 4, 2013
WI
I thought this was going to be my first post here. Turns out you guys helped me out 4 years ago with a very similar question! So thanks again for that and thanks in advance now!

I vape what I would call quite a lot, but I also like to keep things *very* simple. For at least 2 years now I think I've been using two Eleaf iStick TC40Ws and have been very happy with them. I've also been clinging to an Aspire Nautilus tank (using .5 ohm coils) because I've had terrible luck with tanks and it has been my most consistent performer by far.

Recently my first iStick died and the 2nd one, while working fine, is looking like its been through a war, so I know it's time to move on and up.

A couple months ago after reading and watching a number of positive to gushing reviews I picked up the Eleaf iStick OC 200w. I figured it was a pretty safe bet since I was already a happy Eleaf customer.

It was a disaster though. First, the tank: I love the top fill method. Brilliant. But the thing absolutely GUZZLES juice and while I enjoy flavor, I don't want to be going through juice at that insane a rate. Also, the delay in its firing is a HUGE turn off.

I could forgive that though. My Nautilus worked fine on the mod and I was pleased at first.

But then after only 2 months the batteries became imbalanced and the thing is, for all intents and purposes, dead, which after more research I learned apparently is a not uncommon problem. I've seen the vids on how to take it apart and recharge the batteries manually but forget that. The product should not have done this to begin with imo.

----

So now I'm coming to you guys for some advice on a new mod to purchase. A stable, simple, functional workhorse. I tend to vape between 32-34 watts. A great tank would be nice too, but I'll continue to use my Nautilus (I have about 40 coils in reserve). I'm really accustomed to .5 coils. For some reason I just did not enjoy my experience with any other coil, lower or higher ohm, on the Nautilus, but I'm willing to give something lower a try on a new tank.

I'd also strongly prefer built in batteries. I'm aware of the drawbacks (especially after the OC 200w), but again I like simple and since my TC40s lasted a couple years I'm sure there's even better options now.

Thanks again for any input.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
There are several mods I could recommend, but none that have built in batteries. Good news is that onboard charging has gotten better over the years and once the battery is shot you can just replace the battery and not the mod. The Smoant Battlestar 200 Watt is an excellent example as it offers onboard charging as well as passthrough. It does take 2 batteries though. But it has been out a while with no bad reviews.
Another one that I am currently waiting for delivery is Innokins new Oceanus. It is a simple 110 watt VV/VW device without Temperature Control. It takes 1 20700 battery but Innokin gives you 2 batteries with the mod that can be charged internally or externally and used as passthrough. The kit comes with a Scion Tank that most people seem to like.
Other than that, the Eleafs Istick Pico is a single battery 75 watt device that can be charged via USB also and it is a popular device that several people own at an affordable price of under $35 for the Kit which includes a Mello tank that is fairly nice. Hope this helps, good luck in your search:)

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
There are several mods I could recommend, but none that have built in batteries. Good news is that onboard charging has gotten better over the years and once the battery is shot you can just replace the battery and not the mod. The Smoant Battlestar 200 Watt is an excellent example as it offers onboard charging as well as passthrough. It does take 2 batteries though. But it has been out a while with no bad reviews.
Another one that I am currently waiting for delivery is Innokins new Oceanus. It is a simple 110 watt VV/VW device without Temperature Control. It takes 1 20700 battery but Innokin gives you 2 batteries with the mod that can be charged internally or externally and used as passthrough. The kit comes with a Scion Tank that most people seem to like.
Other than that, the Eleafs Istick Pico is a single battery 75 watt device that can be charged via USB also and it is a popular device that several people own at an affordable price of under $35 for the Kit which includes a Mello tank that is fairly nice. Hope this helps, good luck in your search:)
Technically, that is "vape while charging" and not "passthrough" as the charging is interrupted while vaping (if the mod works correctly). Usb power simply isn't enough to vape directly off (true passthrough vaping) with modern setups. I'd suggest to not vape while charging. It introduces additional stress on the batteries, and if the vape while charging doesn't function properly it could cause problems.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
Technically, that is "vape while charging" and not "passthrough" as the charging is interrupted while vaping (if the mod works correctly). Usb power simply isn't enough to vape directly off (true passthrough vaping) with modern setups. I'd suggest to not vape while charging. It introduces additional stress on the batteries, and if the vape while charging doesn't function properly it could cause problems.

Agree to disagree as the Manufactures are the ones that state Pass through capable, not me. I have had several mods that state passthrough capable, Doesn't mean they do it well, but your argument should be with the manufacturers.
Now did you have any recommendations for the OP?

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Agree to disagree as the Manufactures are the ones that state Pass through capable, not me. I have had several mods that state passthrough capable, Doesn't mean they do it well, but your argument should be with the manufacturers.
Now did you have any recommendations for the OP?
The manufacturers use the wrong term, not at all that uncommon. Try vaping with the batteries removed and usb connected. It won't work, i.e. it's not actual passthrough vaping. Don't take it personally, it was in no way meant in such a way. The warning to refrain from vaping while charging is relevant to the op.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It really depends on your wattage needs. There are some decent internal batteries out there, but they tend to have lower wattage capabilities. If you are open to a two battery removable mod that gives you a lot of flexibility as to wattage capability. Yes, many of them can charge via USB port but it's not usually recommended as it can place a strain on the batteries and mod, and uneven charging of batteries can happen. If you want a higher watt mod with removable batteries an external charger can be useful. I have a nitecore intellecharger2 and it is a good workhorse, and inexpensive. Also recommended to buy two sets of married batteries so you can charge one set while the other is being used. Mooch's blog is a good source for all things battery related and safety: Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

I have one USB charger battery, the Aspire Zelos 75 watt TC, I like it a lot. The Pico 25 is nice and small form factor in the hand and some of those models (but not the newest) use USB charging as well. Versatile mod that might suit your needs, but I don't have any with higher wattage, though you may do just fine with around 50--75 watts, if you are using a Nautilus, though if you have a 0.5 coil (which one is that btw?) you may be wanting a bit higher wattage than what I've suggested....

Best of luck!

Anna

OldManMerton

Apr 4, 2013
WI
Thanks for the replies thus far. I like what I'm seeing from the Oceanus. Might give that a spin.

Despite having vaped for going on 7 years I've never really gotten too deep into the weeds of stuff like how to maximize flavor/clouds, temperature control, etc. I've just experimented on my own and figured out what worked and what didn't for me.

On a .5 coil I tend to fire at 32-34 watts. That seems pretty low compared to what I read from most folks. Obviously the vapor isn't particularly impressive there, but I've always been happy with the flavor. I have enjoyed some of my liquids at a higher wattage, but I've found my coils going bad too quickly when I do that. (I have the unfortunate vice of being a chain vaper.)

Also, I mistyped Nautilus instead of Atlantis. It's the Aspire Atlantis I'm still using. Had the Nautilus as well, but it was one that gave me constant problems.

So yeah, I very likely make some mistakes in terms of maximizing my experience. I'm pretty slow to change things up. But I'm looking to now!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My favorite 2 battery mod is the steampunk nano 120 tesla. Smooth quality to the vape, very efficient power conversion and fantastic battery life. It's a fun looking mod to me, but I fell in love with the fantastic quality of the vape. It's heavy (made entirely of metal) but very reliable, lovely, good TC, and since Tesla just came out with the Punk 220, I'm guessing you could pick one up nowadays for about $30.

Yes, I did preorder the Punk 220. The steampunks aren't for everyone for many reasons, but I think that will remain my favorite two battery mod forever. I loved it so much at the time, I immediately purchased a backup. Some great stuff out there though, the Aspire Seeder is also getting excellent reviews, very light mod, and I happen to like Aspire products. Does TC well also, though that may not be your main interest right now. Smoant mods get good reviews for reliability but the Speeder and Steampunk do as well. Wismec can be a good brand to check out....

I might go to the VV/VW section of the board and look around, you'll find real-world threads about each mod and how people like them. :)

Best of luck, and at your wattage level there's not a huge need to get too fancy like a DNA mod if you aren't doing TC.

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Drop in coils, or RTA? I've found it hard to find SS coils in most of the Nautilus lines, though there are some ceramics around in the triton line.... But, you'll find drop in coils in some other tanks that work pretty well for TC, I think. You are not MTL so I don't have a ton of recommendations. I didn't like my Ego Mega One tank at all, but I think I am in the minority on that. It whistled and drove the husband crazy, I ended up giving it away. With that said, tons of folks use them and they are pretty darn versatile when it comes to coil options and resistances....

With an RTA, SS wire coils work well in TC mode. If you haven't built, well, it's a lot of fun.... :) Good place to start if you want to learn more: Rebuildable Atomizer Systems

Anna

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
Thanks for the replies thus far. I like what I'm seeing from the Oceanus. Might give that a spin.

Despite having vaped for going on 7 years I've never really gotten too deep into the weeds of stuff like how to maximize flavor/clouds, temperature control, etc. I've just experimented on my own and figured out what worked and what didn't for me.

On a .5 coil I tend to fire at 32-34 watts. That seems pretty low compared to what I read from most folks. Obviously the vapor isn't particularly impressive there, but I've always been happy with the flavor. I have enjoyed some of my liquids at a higher wattage, but I've found my coils going bad too quickly when I do that. (I have the unfortunate vice of being a chain vaper.)

Also, I mistyped Nautilus instead of Atlantis. It's the Aspire Atlantis I'm still using. Had the Nautilus as well, but it was one that gave me constant problems.

So yeah, I very likely make some mistakes in terms of maximizing my experience. I'm pretty slow to change things up. But I'm looking to now!
I have several 2 battery mods with all the bells and whistles that I don't use. I have no interest in TC is why I chose the Oceanus. Plus Innokin devices over the years have proven to be dependable. If you think you will eventually want to venture into TC then you want to look at other devices such as the Eleaf Pico.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
There is also the Vaporesso Tarot Nano and Tarot Mini both are 80 watts and the Nano has a built in battery. They both come with the Veco tank which is top airflow and top fill. Just another suggestion for you and the top airflow tanks are virtually leak free.

des6666

Moved On
Nov 8, 2017
  • Deleted by classwife

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas

Now here is one that you may like. 4000 mah internal battery, Scion Tank, Temp Control and all the bells and whistles. Looks pretty nice. Good reviews Innokin Cool Fire Ultra.
Innokin CoolFire Ultra TC150 Starter Kit with Scion Sub-Ohm Tank

OldManMerton

Apr 4, 2013
WI
Thanks again folks. I think I may actually pick up a couple to test out. I already ordered an Oceanus, but the Cool Fire looks nice too. I've also seen several SMOKs before that I've been tempted to get but never pulled the trigger on.

I'm averse to change, so this sorta thing is tricky to me. I'm not one to try out a bunch of new stuff unless I feel there's a real need. Tend to operate on the level of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." But my current setup is definitely just about broke, so you guys have hopefully helped me fix it.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thanks for clarifying the Atlantis tank thing as I was scratching my head on a 0.5 ohm Nauti coil.

As for SS factory coils they can be found, even a few that will fit that Atlantis. As far as SS TC performs it's mod dependent some are good, some useless, and some great but a higher price point. Lots of good experiences posted here with Smoant mods with good TC performance, and a few 2 battery options to choose from. The Battlestar is very affordable the the Charon series is popular. The Revenger from Vaporesso looks nice as well, and takes 2 batteries, but not sure what coils will fit the tank that comes with the kit (if you buy it that way).

If you're happy with single battery life, check out the Pico 25.

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
Thanks again folks. I think I may actually pick up a couple to test out. I already ordered an Oceanus, but the Cool Fire looks nice too. I've also seen several SMOKs before that I've been tempted to get but never pulled the trigger on.

I'm averse to change, so this sorta thing is tricky to me. I'm not one to try out a bunch of new stuff unless I feel there's a real need. Tend to operate on the level of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." But my current setup is definitely just about broke, so you guys have hopefully helped me fix it.
Smok may have some good devices out there but I am not a fan after 2 Aliens bit the dust in under 6 months. Like Eskie said the Pico is a good choice and also some newer offerings available from Eleaf may peak your interest. Congrats on the Oceanus. I can't wait for mine. What color did you end up getting. I ordered purple:cool:

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

OldManMerton

Apr 4, 2013
WI
Smok may have some good devices out there but I am not a fan after 2 Aliens bit the dust in under 6 months. Like Eskie said the Pico is a good choice and also some newer offerings available from Eleaf may peak your interest. Congrats on the Oceanus. I can't wait for mine. What color did you end up getting. I ordered purple:cool:

Purple!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread