Mod safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

H4X0R

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2014
NM
Alright guys, so there has been a lot of news stories about batteries venting and exploding in people's pockets and in their faces while in use. Just HOW dangerous are batteries? I know that there are different battery types, different resistances that draw different amounts of amps and watts and what not, but just how dangerous is it really to own one of these?

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I'm saying that batteries are a hazard and should be treated with healthy respect knowing that they are a hazard. It doesn't matter what device they are in. If you have a device with li-on, li-mn,. li-po... any sort of lithium battery, you should treat it as if it can catch fire or vent enough gas to make shrapell out of whatever is housing it... because it can.

H4X0R

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2014
NM
Alright! Thank you for your response. There are a lot of stories emphasizing the danger of e cig batteries and mods, and it makes me wonder if they are just trying to make the whole vaping thing look bad, or if there is a higher risk factor to owning one like they try and show. People's phones have exploded and nobody seems to talk about that much, but when it's the electronic cigarette, everyone want's to bash it.

Reactions: Eskie and six

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
Alright guys, so there has been a lot of news stories about batteries venting and exploding in people's pockets and in their faces while in use. Just HOW dangerous are batteries? I know that there are different battery types, different resistances that draw different amounts of amps and watts and what not, but just how dangerous is it really to own one of these?

Most of the news you hear where mods blow up in peoples' faces are of the mechanical "mech" type. So far I've only been able to google up regulated mods catching fire while charging (I believe it is the istick 50W).

With regulated mods you honestly do not have to worry about them blowing up in your face as the board usually does a good job regulating the battery and if it detects any abnormalities it will not allow you to fire. If the board fails, with regulated mods there are usually battery vents where if a battery does go into thermal runaway, gas / liquid will spew out of the vent holes before its able to build enough pressure inside your mod for an explosion.

However, with regulated mods its usually during charging where accidents might happen. So its always advised to purchase an separate lipo charger or always monitor it while charging.

Reactions: H4X0R

H4X0R

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2014
NM
Alright thanks guys! Quick question, I have not been able to find an answer to this anywhere. So my mod has short circuit protection, and I can't find any info on it whatsoever. I emailed Tesla about it and they never replied. (sketchy?) So I'm thinking it may just be a fuse, what happens in this case if the fuse is burnt? Does it just kill the battery forever? Or how does this work? Sorry, noob question.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Alright thanks guys! Quick question, I have not been able to find an answer to this anywhere. So my mod has short circuit protection, and I can't find any info on it whatsoever. I emailed Tesla about it and they never replied. (sketchy?) So I'm thinking it may just be a fuse, what happens in this case if the fuse is burnt? Does it just kill the battery forever? Or how does this work? Sorry, noob question.

The voltage regulator circuit board in the mod is designed so it will not fire if the resistance it senses is too low. These systems work very well but I don't know what the failure modes are. IMO they are very reliable. I don't know of any instances where this has failed.

H4X0R

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2014
NM
The voltage regulator circuit board in the mod is designed so it will not fire if the resistance it senses is too low. These systems work very well but I don't know what the failure modes are. IMO they are very reliable. I don't know of any instances where this has failed.
This is the page that made me wonder just how the protection works, in the OP, he says something about it never firing again if I'm not mistaken. Tesla Two PSA am I reading this wrong?

Reactions: Ryedan

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
This is the page that made me wonder just how the protection works, in the OP, he says something about it never firing again if I'm not mistaken. Tesla Two PSA am I reading this wrong?

I'm not familiar with Tesla Two, but here's a quote from the thread you linked to:

"Once the short circuit protection fries, the device will not fire any tank or atty."

After I read that I Googled the mod. I found some info here. Some specs from that link:
  • Max Output Power: 100W
  • Max Output Voltage: 4.2V
  • Max Output Current: 40A
  • Short Circuit Protection
  • Overcurrent Protection
  • Overvoltage Protection
  • Resistance Range: 0.1Ω – 3.5Ω
  • LED Battery Indicator: 3.2V – 3.65V > Red | 3.65V – 4.2V > Blue
So it's a non-regulated mod with electronic components in it that gives you the above. It's an unusual beast :)

Personally I would stay away from it unless I knew why it was better for me than something either fully regulated or fully mechanical. Sorry I can't help more than that, but hopefully someone who knows this mod well will chime in soon and explain how it works in detail.

H4X0R

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2014
NM
I'm not familiar with Tesla Two, but here's a quote from the thread you linked to:

"Once the short circuit protection fries, the device will not fire any tank or atty."

After I read that I Googled the mod. I found some info here. Some specs from that link:
  • Max Output Power: 100W
  • Max Output Voltage: 4.2V
  • Max Output Current: 40A
  • Short Circuit Protection
  • Overcurrent Protection
  • Overvoltage Protection
  • Resistance Range: 0.1Ω – 3.5Ω
  • LED Battery Indicator: 3.2V – 3.65V > Red | 3.65V – 4.2V > Blue
So it's a non-regulated mod with electronic components in it that gives you the above. It's an unusual beast :)

Personally I would stay away from it unless I knew why it was better for me than something either fully regulated or fully mechanical. Sorry I can't help more than that, but hopefully someone who knows this mod well will chime in soon and explain how it works in detail.
Hopefully, well thanks so much for your help! :)

Reactions: Ryedan

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
When it comes to advanced mass marketed systems like cell phones, laptops, and hybrid electric cars, the system designers of those products have taken appropriate steps to make them "safe" for uninformed end-user use. In other words, made them "idiot proof". Purely mechanical unregulated ecig battery mods and uninformed end-users is a dicey proposition.

Most consumer battery operated devices are no where near the limit of the batterys operating limits. The high-end flashlights, remote control toys, and advanced e-cigs come to mind as applications that really push the limits of a battery. With the RC toys the device is physically far removed from the person so a mishap is inconsequential. With ecigs a mishap is literally in the persons face.

The biggest danger of an exploding battery or exploding mod is to those uninformed users not aware of the dangers, and of not being aware of how to prevent them. For example, using gear that is incompatible; you shouldn't use a direct battery "hybrid" mod with a common ordinary clearomizer or you'll create a hard short. Most mech mod users aren't aware that the device they are using probably doesn't have adequate venting should a battery vent gas and they are at risk for their rig to explode.

If your mech mod's only vent hole(s) are in the bottom of the tube, and there is no room in the tube for the gas to get around the battery to the vent hole (see pic below), then it likely will explode, because batteries are designed to vent the gas from their top. Mods need for the vent holes to be in the upper 1/3 of the tube, but very few do.

img_1254-1-jpg.550928

6994673_G.jpg

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping

Last edited:

H4X0R

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2014
NM
When it comes to advanced mass marketed systems like cell phones, laptops, and hybrid electric cars, the system designers of those products have taken appropriate steps to make them "safe" for uninformed end-user use. In other words, made them "idiot proof". Purely mechanical unregulated ecig battery mods and uninformed end-users is a dicey proposition.

Most consumer battery operated devices are no where near the limit of the batterys operating limits. The high-end flashlights, remote control toys, and advanced e-cigs come to mind as applications that really push the limits of a battery. With the RC toys the device is physically far removed from the person so a mishap is inconsequential. With ecigs a mishap is literally in the persons face.

The biggest danger of an exploding battery or exploding mod is to those uninformed users not aware of the dangers, and of not being aware of how to prevent them. For example, using gear that is incompatible; you shouldn't use a direct battery "hybrid" mod with a common ordinary clearomizer or you'll create a hard short. Most mech mod users aren't aware that the device they are using probably doesn't have adequate venting should a battery vent gas and they are at risk for their rig to explode.

If your mech mod's only vent hole(s) are in the bottom of the tube, and there is no room in the tube for the gas to get around the battery to the vent hole (see pic below), then it likely will explode, because batteries are designed to vent the gas from their top. Mods need for the vent holes to be in the upper 1/3 of the tube, but very few do.

img_1254-1-jpg.550928

6994673_G.jpg

A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping

Thanks for the reply, it makes me wonder just how safe my Tesla Two would be in this case. It's built like a mech but with a circuit board with short circuit protection, the fact that the batteries are likely Li-Po scares me. How reliable is short circuit protection to begin with? Is it super safe, or is it just for marketing purposes to get the end use to purchase a product?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread