Mod Shock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koudotai

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Canyon Country
Two of my clones have shocked my hand during use. Any fixes for this? From what I've found it's usually due to not tight fitting threads and unclean mods (residue, metal particles, etc). I've taken both mods completely apart and cleaned/ polished every single part. Also making sure it's all tight when put together. One is a fasttech Astro and the other is a Blackhawk Panzer from an unknown Philippine manufacturer. There are no shorts in the atty as I've switched it to other mods along with the battery for testing and it worked fine. Idk if it matters but the Astro tends to shock from the bottom near the switch and the Blackhawk from the top.

Sent via Telepathic Brain Waves

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Two of my clones have shocked my hand during use. Any fixes for this? From what I've found it's usually due to not tight fitting threads and unclean mods (residue, metal particles, etc). I've taken both mods completely apart and cleaned/ polished every single part. Also making sure it's all tight when put together. One is a FastTech Astro and the other is a Blackhawk Panzer from an unknown Philippine manufacturer. There are no shorts in the atty as I've switched it to other mods along with the battery for testing and it worked fine. Idk if it matters but the Astro tends to shock from the bottom near the switch and the Blackhawk from the top.

Interesting. The outside of the mod and atty are ground, or negative if you have the battery in positive end towards the atty. The only way youre going to get a shock is if you get access to the positive side of the circuit. Im looking at my mech mods and the only way I can imagine that happening would short the battery.

Will be interesting to see what other people have to say :)

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Interesting. The outside of the mod and atty are ground, or negative if you have the battery in positive end towards the atty. The only way youre going to get a shock is if you get access to the positive side of the circuit. Im looking at my mech mods and the only way I can imagine that happening would short the battery.

Will be interesting to see what other people have to say :)
Not necessarily. If your body (hand in this case) presents a significantly lower resistance path for current flow than the body of the mod, you'll feel a shock.

For example, if the threads on the button assembly were insulated from the rest of the mod, wrapping your hand around the mod above and below the high resistance connection and hitting the button would cause some current flow through your hand. It would be minimal (assuming that your hand is slightly damp with sweat) but you'd feel a 4 volt tingle.

Clean the threads again and apply a little conductive anti-seize compound to the threads. I use a copper-based anti-seize, but Noalox seems to be pretty popular in these parts.

Koudotai

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Canyon Country
The body of your mech has to me making contact with the metal casing of the battery some how that is about the only way you will get shocked

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how, the sleeve on the battery is completely intact. It was bought about half a month ago.

Koudotai

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Canyon Country
Weird! My FastTech Astro has never shocked me. Best clone I've ever used.

It's disappointing to say the least >_< I successfully did a a torch pattern on it and have been wanting to carry it to show it off a little but this has kept me from that lol.

y3eby4yt.jpg

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Not necessarily. If your body (hand in this case) presents a significantly lower resistance path for current flow than the body of the mod, you'll feel a shock.

For example, if the threads on the button assembly were insulated from the rest of the mod, wrapping your hand around the mod above and below the high resistance connection and hitting the button would cause some current flow through your hand. It would be minimal (assuming that your hand is slightly damp with sweat) but you'd feel a 4 volt tingle.

Clean the threads again and apply a little conductive anti-seize compound to the threads. I use a copper-based anti-seize, but Noalox seems to be pretty popular in these parts.

I see what you're saying K_Tech. I would think though that if the switch resistance was that high it would be warming up. But hey, it's a scenario I never imagined so thanks for that :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread