Mod shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Hi guys, my kangertech mod suddenly stop working aft changing coil. This is few days ago. I just could not switch it on. Total shut down. It's only a month old. Any idea why? Do people repair the kits?

Which Kangertech mod? I assume you're talking about a subox?

By "Total shut down" you mean the screen won't even light up? What kind of battery are you using? Were you charging the battery externally (using a separate charger plugged into the wall) or were you using the USB charger built into the device?

Reactions: BrotherBob

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

Pisces82

Verified Member
Sep 23, 2015
Which Kangertech mod? I assume you're talking about a Subox?

By "Total shut down" you mean the screen won't even light up? What kind of battery are you using? Were you charging the battery externally (using a separate charger plugged into the wall) or were you using the USB charger built into the device?
Yes subox. The screen won't light up.

Pisces82

Verified Member
Sep 23, 2015

Micro USB charging Lithium 18650

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Lithium 18650

Uh, yeah.. The Subox only works with 18650 batteries.. But what brand of battery? In laymen's terms: What does the battery look like?

Also I don't recommend using the USB charger all the time in general.. It has generally proven to be not reliable, and it's not a good choice for long-term charging solutions. The best method to charge an 18650 battery is to have a separate charger (a good one, like a LUC V4 or a Nitecore 2-bay "smart charger") and charge your batteries there.

There's no telling how good the on-board chip will regulate the amperage to your battery over time, and in a worst case scenario this could have devastating results. Granted, there is still a possibility of a "devastating scenario" with an external charger, but the likelihood is minimized significantly. Get an external charger.

Anyway, back to your specific problem.. If you have a multimeter, you should test the battery. It's possible the on-board charger isn't properly charging the battery, in which case you would actually need an external charger. It's also possible the battery you're using (depending on the brand) isn't meant for vaping. If this is the case, you may have damaged the battery to the point where the Subox will no longer even recognize it.

Reactions: Darth Omerta

Pisces82

Verified Member
Sep 23, 2015
OTE="nyiddle, post: 16714902, member: 199539"]Uh, yeah.. The Subox only works with 18650 batteries.. But what brand of battery? In laymen's terms: What does the battery look like?

Also I don't recommend using the USB charger all the time in general.. It has generally proven to be not reliable, and it's not a good choice for long-term charging solutions. The best method to charge an 18650 battery is to have a separate charger (a good one, like a LUC V4 or a Nitecore 2-bay "smart charger") and charge your batteries there.

There's no telling how good the on-board chip will regulate the amperage to your battery over time, and in a worst case scenario this could have devastating results. Granted, there is still a possibility of a "devastating scenario" with an external charger, but the likelihood is minimized significantly. Get an external charger.

Anyway, back to your specific problem.. If you have a multimeter, you should test the battery. It's possible the on-board charger isn't properly charging the battery, in which case you would actually need an external charger. It's also possible the battery you're using (depending on the brand) isn't meant for vaping. If this is the case, you may have damaged the battery to the point where the Subox will no longer even recognize it.[/QUOTE]
The battery comes together when I first got it. It's a starter kit. It's pink in colour. Will bring back to vendor tonight and see what they have to say. Thanks for the advice.

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
you say it shut down AFTER you changed the coil. is it possible that the coil is bad or has a short? if so it won't run a short. is it possible the coil is below .3 ohms? if that's possible then it would not run a coil that low. just out of expirment, have you tried using a new different coil to see if device will fire that new coil? Have you tried for expirment using a different atomizer all together to see if it fires then? I'm just thinking of ways to trouble shoot your device. you might consider contacting the sales person and explain the issue and ask for a new product or refund.do some trouble shooting and if it does not work after trying different senerios then contact seller. hope this helps. Good luck.

Reactions: Pisces82

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
you say it shut down AFTER you changed the coil. is it possible that the coil is bad or has a short? if so it won't run a short. is it possible the coil is below .3 ohms? if that's possible then it would not run a coil that low. just out of expirment, have you tried using a new different coil to see if device will fire that new coil? Have you tried for expirment using a different atomizer all together to see if it fires then? I'm just thinking of ways to trouble shoot your device. you might consider contacting the sales person and explain the issue and ask for a new product or refund.do some trouble shooting and if it does not work after trying different senerios then contact seller. hope this helps. Good luck.

GMTA. I was about to ask the same question. About the ohm rating maybe the build is too low for the battery. Maybe there is a short.

Remove the tank and see if the mod will turn on. Try changing out the battery.

Reactions: realsis

Pisces82

Verified Member
Sep 23, 2015
The screen just wldnt light up. I've sent it to vendor and they will send it for repair. The guy who attended to me cldnt tell me why either. He tried changing battery and still it stay in coma. I got a replacement though. Bought Ipv3li today together with tfv4 tank. Too happy to think about my kangertech now. Hehee. . But still have to make sure I get it back alive as it was a gift from my brother. Anyway thanks Sis for ur concern.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
The screen just wldnt light up. I've sent it to vendor and they will send it for repair. The guy who attended to me cldnt tell me why either. He tried changing battery and still it stay in coma. I got a replacement though. Bought Ipv3li today together with tfv4 tank. Too happy to think about my kangertech now. Hehee. . But still have to make sure I get it back alive as it was a gift from my brother. Anyway thanks Sis for ur concern.

Hope this mod meets your expectations.. I also hope they fix or replace your subox mod.

Reactions: Pisces82
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread