More flavor !!!! Please!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidbeaster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
New Auburn, WI
I haven't made any juice yet, I'm still researching before I do. I have all the equipment and supplies to make my own juice.

I'm still sampling juices from different vendors to try and get an idea of what I like. All the juices that I tried have a hint of the flavor I was expecting. I would like to make a juice that is all about the flavor. If I want say Carmel for example. I want to taste a mouthful of Carmel. Not a hint of it.

So for me Taste is the most important thing for me, over throat hit or vapor. Is there a targeted vg/pg ratio that pushes the flavor to the top of the list? Or some other added substance to help with the flavor?

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
After the breakin period, a 1.5 HH357 on a KGO should be a good unit for tasting. (During break in, you will be wondering what kind of chump you are for spending that kind of dough on an atty.) I base that on my vape style which is anything below 9 Watts is CRAP! Yours may be different in which case my vape style is CRAP! Pick one and flush the other.

I asked because I cannot get a full flavor out of a carto except for a pinapple recipe I mix which only tastes good in one, fairly unusual carto. They mute the flavors and give me a very airy vape. I need the flavor and a dense vapor, or I'm a grumpy Hoosier.

The amount of PG vs VG for me depends on the mix. Some need more than others and others need less than others. I have not found a hard and fast rule that applies to PG/VG in maximizing flavor. Many people have a way they want the vapor to feel and have settled into a ratio that works for them. I'm guessing that mine hover in the 10% to 30% range for VG. (Why don't I have this exact? Because I premix my PG and VG into 3 different bottles I call, Little, Bit, and Bunch and don't worry about the math for my PG/VG ratio so I have one less annoying thing to worry about.)

You are starting with Capella flavoring? It's the easiest to dial up the flavor without going to the "Too Much" range.

sh_

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2011
USA
I see the norm flavoring percentage to someones juice recipe is 20%. Should I go 25-30%?

By experience, the premix with TPA flavors at 20% is fine.. but after 2 or 3 days steeping the flavor became so strong that I had to cut the mix using as 3 to 4 times as much base than I used in the original mix.

For some flavors (like tabacco) its almost impossible to "fix" the juice after a few days... so far I failed in all my attempts to fix the juice using TPA and FA tabacco.

Unfortunately for me it was really true that tabacco flavors need AT LEAST a week steeping before of have a clear idea of what you got.

For cinnamon I had a very bad experience with TPA Spicy Cinnamon, it was so strong that I had to trash the whole batch.

I would say that 3 to 5% tabacco is fine (wait 1 week to steep). TPA Spicy Cinnamon at 1% is already too much.

In other hand TPA DK-Tab I had to use 5% and Chocolate Tabacco from Western Flavors I had to use 7%

Same occurs with Vanilla (French Vanilla TPA and Vanilla Butternut Loranns). 5% is the must for them.

Bostonsnboxers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2011
NW OH, US
Ohhhhh...you so do NOT want to mix FA flavors at 20%!!
Normal for me is 5-10%, but on FA flavors, anything over 2% is too much for me. I know of no one that mixes FA that high....anyone??

Personally, I suggest with all except FA, start with 5% and work up. Always give it a day to steep before adding more though, or as sh_ suggested you can very easily find you went waaay overboard.

Last edited:

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
I haven't made any juice yet, I'm still researching before I do. I have all the equipment and supplies to make my own juice.

I'm still sampling juices from different vendors to try and get an idea of what I like. All the juices that I tried have a hint of the flavor I was expecting. I would like to make a juice that is all about the flavor. If I want say Carmel for example. I want to taste a mouthful of Carmel. Not a hint of it.

So for me Taste is the most important thing for me, over throat hit or vapor. Is there a targeted vg/pg ratio that pushes the flavor to the top of the list? Or some other added substance to help with the flavor?

You sound like someone who will LOVE msts juices . Her juices have more flavor then any juice iv come across . Closest you could get to bottling up the real thing imo

As for Diy i recomend going with Capellas flavoring . IMo they are the best to start with and also have the thickest ,richest flavorings .

Last edited:

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
I see the norm flavoring percentage to someones juice recipe is 20%. Should I go 25-30%?

If you are going from some else's recipe, start at the same level it has. When you have some experience as to how your tastes differ and how the flavorings interact, you may want to alter it on the fly.

I've only been doing this for over a year and I will start with the recipe as written and then adjust from there.

Unless you are dealing with Capella flavorings, avoid big swings in flavoring %'s until you get a feel for the flavorings you are using. Capella will be forgiving, but TPA/TFA & FA have flavorings that will smack you up side the head for getting outside their range. (They also have forgiving flavorings, but you won't know which is which until you play with them a bit.)

Karla Lyle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Frederick, md
You sound like someone who will LOVE msts juices . Her juices have more flavor then any juice iv come across . Closest you could get to bottling up the real thing imo

As for Diy i recomend going with Capellas flavoring . IMo they are the best to start with and also have the thickest ,richest flavorings .
Totally agree with both statements. If you read all of my posts a few weeks ago this is all I kept saying too. LOL I then got my first order from Kick Bass Vapor which I LOVED. I wasted a ton of money at a ton of other vendors and some were good, just the flavor was way too weak. Even after a week or 2 of steeping. I started to to think I was asking to much from ejuice and there wasn't going to be any with enough flavor until I tried Kick Bass' juices. I also placed an order at Mrs T's which I just received yesterday and Str8 is right. Her juices are excellent too. actually vaping her Sugar cookie right this second. However I think KBV is just as good (at least out of the few of Mrs.T's I've tried so far, and I haven't given them a chance to steep yet) and KBV is a lot cheaper and ships a lot faster. I placed an order with Mrs T's on the 4th and received it on the 15th, so 11 days. I will probably order again, but now know it takes forever to get. So if you are looking for flavor I highly suggest them both. Also making DIY juices now for the same reason and I can't afford to keep buying a ton of juices.:vapor:

Last edited:

Tona Aspsusa

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
Finland
(in my experience if anything vendors juice has too much flavor)

THIS. Before you start thinking about using a lot of flavour, experiment with cutting the commercial juices where you find it "just a hint, should be more" with some unflavoured.

I started DIYing immediately and have only tried a few pre-made juices, and only one that wasn't zero nic. That one I felt was really smooth for the high nic it was, but very muted in taste. I cut it with 50% PG and VG. Ouch - it now has far too much flavour for me, and I will probably have to it down even further.
(Had the same experience with one or two zero-nic samples, but I had not yet discovered this thing about too much => nearly no taste at all.)

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
Totally agree with both statements. If you read all of my posts a few weeks ago this is all I kept saying too. LOL I then got my first order from Kick Bass Vapor which I LOVED. I wasted a ton of money at a ton of other vendors and some were good, just the flavor was way too weak. Even after a week or 2 of steeping. I started to to think I was asking to much from ejuice and there wasn't going to be any with enough flavor until I tried Kick Bass' juices. I also placed an order at Mrs T's which I just received yesterday and Str8 is right. Her juices are excellent too. actually vaping her Sugar cookie right this second. However I think KBV is just as good (at least out of the few of Mrs.T's I've tried so far, and I haven't given them a chance to steep yet) and KBV is a lot cheaper and ships a lot faster. I placed an order with Mrs T's on the 4th and received it on the 15th, so 11 days. I will probably order again, but now know it takes forever to get. So if you are looking for flavor I highly suggest them both. Also making DIY juices now for the same reason and I can't afford to keep buying a ton of juices.:vapor:

KBV is pretty good too . They would probably be my fav if it werent for msts . I just find msts to be leagues above anyone else in flavor and richness. Msts doesnt use sweeteners like i find KBV to though which makes it crazy that msts has so much more flavor . The only thing i dont like about KBV's is that a few of there bakery juices taste so similar that i can put anyone in a carto and not realize i changed the juice . I also get a buttery note with all of them with a hint of pepper . The buttery note actually clogs up my throat with flemmn for some reason probably because of the sweeteners . I find both msts and KBV to be good but i just still cant put KBV up there with msts juices imo . Dont get me wrong though ,i think msts is so much better than KBV but i still do put KBV above most other vendors . I keep KBV juices around as my back up when i run out of msts . After all Mst invented the bakery ejuice. I also like that i have never had a single bad msts juice in the 20+ flavors iv tried and each one is always consistant. I do on occasion have consistency issues with KBV. Just giving my honest opinion on vaping them both ymmv of course .

I just wish i could DIY a juice like msts

Last edited:

kidbeaster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
New Auburn, WI
Bishy's Peppermint Ice Cream.

I actually screwed up when ordering the flavors.I bought vanilla bourbon instead of vanilla bean ice cream. I really like the flavor of the juice I made, even though I had the wrong flavor. I put in another order for the vanilla bean ice cream and I'll make another sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread