Most used size of ribbon kanthal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    I’m getting ready to place an order of wire and wicking and I thought I’d give ribbon or flat kanthal a try.
    I’ve never tried flat or ribbon wire so maybe someone could suggest sizes used for long slow dL vaping and mtl.
    The choices are all 0.1mm thick with choices of 0.3,0.4,0.5 and 0.8mm in width.

I use 24 and 26 gauge the most for tight dL and for mtl I use 27 and 28.
    What size in ribbon might have be similar to these?
    I thought about getting a roll of each but done that before and have unused rolls that will probably never be used,plus I’ve never even seen ribbon wire.

Reactions: AngeNZ

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I’m getting ready to place an order of wire and wicking and I thought I’d give ribbon or flat kanthal a try.
    I’ve never tried flat or ribbon wire so maybe someone could suggest sizes used for long slow dL vaping and mtl.
    The choices are all 0.1mm thick with choices of 0.3,0.4,0.5 and 0.8mm in width.

I use 24 and 26 gauge the most for tight dL and for mtl I use 27 and 28.
    What size in ribbon might have be similar to these?
    I thought about getting a roll of each but done that before and have unused rolls that will probably never be used,plus I’ve never even seen ribbon wire.

I've been using flat wire over the past few months and tried out a few different gauges. I'm an impatient vaper who wants instant ramp up - and I vape anywhere from 15 - 35 watts.

On the higher gauge end of the equation: I prefer 28ga round wire - in flat/ribbon wire the equivalent gauge wise is 0.9mm x 0.1mm. But, this is really hard to wrap with. It is just so soft, that it barely holds a coil shape.

The next gauge up is flat wire I found at FT - 1.0mm x 0.14mm. The extra 0.04mm in width makes all the difference in being able to coil. This gauge is pretty close to 26ga in round wire.
    $2.31 Authentic MKWS Kanthal A1 Ribbon Heating Wire - 0.14mm*1.0mm flat size / 30ft (10m) at FastTech - Free Shipping

$2.28 Authentic MKWS 316L Stainless Steel Ribbon Heating Wire - 0.14mm*1.0mm flat size / 30ft (10m) at FastTech - Free Shipping

0.8mm x 0.2mm flat wire is also around the 26ga equivalent, but it would be even easier to coil with. I use 0.5mm x 0.2mm wire from Thunderhead creations, which ramps for me the same as 28ga - but I've only found it from this site in NZ:
    https://www.mixologyvape.co.nz/shop/accessories/wire/thc-ribbon-wire-10m/

This German site has one of the best selections of flat wire:
    Flat Wire / Ribbon

In the US, KBee wires are also fantastic:
    https://www.ebay.com/str/kbeevapes

It is definitely worth trying flat wire. I'd tried MTL fused clapton wire, and while I loved the flavour - the cleaning drove me nuts ;) Flat wire gives you the flavour, better ramp up speed, and is easier to clean.

Robbert

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    I've been using flat wire over the past few months and tried out a few different gauges. I'm an impatient vaper who wants instant ramp up - and I vape anywhere from 15 - 35 watts.

On the higher gauge end of the equation: I prefer 28ga round wire - in flat/ribbon wire the equivalent gauge wise is 0.9mm x 0.1mm. But, this is really hard to wrap with. It is just so soft, that it barely holds a coil shape.

The next gauge up is flat wire I found at FT - 1.0mm x 0.14mm. The extra 0.04mm in width makes all the difference in being able to coil. This gauge is pretty close to 26ga in round wire.
    $2.31 Authentic MKWS Kanthal A1 Ribbon Heating Wire - 0.14mm*1.0mm flat size / 30ft (10m) at FastTech - Free Shipping

$2.28 Authentic MKWS 316L Stainless Steel Ribbon Heating Wire - 0.14mm*1.0mm flat size / 30ft (10m) at FastTech - Free Shipping

0.8mm x 0.2mm flat wire is also around the 26ga equivalent, but it would be even easier to coil with. I use 0.5mm x 0.2mm wire from Thunderhead creations, which ramps for me the same as 28ga - but I've only found it from this site in NZ:
    https://www.mixologyvape.co.nz/shop/accessories/wire/thc-ribbon-wire-10m/

This German site has one of the best selections of flat wire:
    Flat Wire / Ribbon

In the US, KBee wires are also fantastic:
    KBee's | eBay Stores

It is definitely worth trying flat wire. I'd tried MTL fused clapton wire, and while I loved the flavour - the cleaning drove me nuts ;) Flat wire gives you the flavour, better ramp up speed, and is easier to clean.
    Thanks,
    Looking forward to cleaner coils.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    It seems the ribbon wire is more for mtl and not for sub coils?
    Has anyone tried dual ribbon coils?
    I run a dual 3mm ø 0.8x0.3mm 6/5 wrap of n80 flatwire (0.13Ω) in my Tauren RDA on the Furyan mechanical.
    I get my flat wire from the German Zivipf site that AngeNZ linked earlier.

Robbert

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    I run a dual 3mm ø 0.8x0.3mm 6/5 wrap of n80 flatwire (0.13Ω) in my Tauren RDA on the Furyan mechanical.
    I get my flat wire from the German Zivipf site that AngeNZ linked earlier.
    I ended up getting a roll of kanthal 0.5 x 0.1mm to try.
    It ramps up fast.
    I’ll try a twisted ribbon wind and see how it effects flavor.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread