MTL Build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LewisW295

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
South Glamorgan, Wales
Good Evening all

My kayfun clone is on its way but I'd like to know what the best wire would be for a MTL rta?

I don't want fancy twisted alien xenos stapled nonsense (Ill leave that for my Drop Dead) just simple, Kanthal builds.

What's the difference going to be between a 1.0 and 1.5?

Haven't built a MTL rta yet so not sure where to start.

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
I havn't used a Kayfun for years but I seem to recall it sings at 9 wraps around 2mm using 28ga kanthal. I also used 30ga but it was too flimsy for me to re-wick easily. Steam-engine will dial you into where you want to be though. Hope this helps and sorry for the smart arzz reply, I couldn't help myself!

Reactions: Izan

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
upload_2019-1-17_17-45-35.gif

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Reactions: greek mule

LewisW295

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
South Glamorgan, Wales
Are you familiar with this vaping calculator? If not, you should. It will tell you exactly how to build coils, proper resistance, ID, wattage and all that stuff you need to know before you start building.

Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

I am familiar with SE. I actually have an app on my phone but I wanted to see what the concensus was from people over the machine. The machine can tell me how to build everything ever, but it can't tell me what to build.

• Agree
Reactions: Katya

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
Build them all. You can get 1.0 ohm coils by using different materials at different gauges, spaced or contact coils, small inside diameter or large. They'll all give you a different vape experience, just try different ways til you find what you like and keep doing your favorite. Part of the enjoyment about rebuilding coils (other than being the cheapest way to vape) is the fun of the hobby. If you don't enjoy building a certain coil, try something else. If you don't have wire already, I would suggest getting kanthal in 26, 28 and 30ga and SS in 24, 26 and 28ga.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I rotate ten Kayfun V4's. All of which have 29g kanthal coils, five 2mm wraps = 1 ohm. I vape at 11.5 watts. The 29g kanthal is rigid and is really easy to re-wick so lasts for months. The ramp up time is pretty quick too and is the main reason why i use 29g. So it's a great balance where i get a decent vape at a low wattage. Thicker wire means more power so what's the point in that ?. Anything thinner and the coil deforms when i try to re-wick. Been using 29g this way for yonks. It's all i use !. :)

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Not much, You'll need slightly higher wattage for the 1.5Ω coil.

You have that backwards. The lower the resistance the higher wattage is needed. Since resistance is what causes electrical energy to be converted to heat energy, with less resistance, you need more energy to create the same amount of heat.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
What's the difference going to be between a 1.0 and 1.5?
What wire do you already have. Really I have built everything from 26g to 32 ga and anywhere in that range CAN be used. We just need to know what you have to help better.

OK, now that I'm paying attention. :D

Let my clarify what I really meant to say. :facepalm: While using regulated mods in wattage mode, you just choose the wattage that suits you--say 10 watts. You'll need to use higher voltage (4.2v) to get to 10 watts with a 1.5Ω coil, lower voltage (3.5v) with 1Ω coil. The beauty of regulated vw mods is that you don't have to do the math. The chip does the math for you. Which means, basically, that you just set your preferred wattage and forget it. You'll get your 10 watts no matter what resistance coil you use--1.0 or 1.5Ω. If you feel that 10 watts is too much or not enough, adjust slowly up or down.

I too have used wire gauges from 26g to 30g (1-1.5Ω coils) and they all work, but I prefer 28-29g. They heat fast and are easy to work with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread