Mutation X vs. Plume Veil clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisrook

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2013
Bradenton
So, after being out of the e-cig game for about a year, I found myself dipping towards my mech the other day. Wasn't really looking for the nicotine as much as I was looking for the clouds and flavor. Silly me stored it about 6 months back with the atty still on with a build in it, so I tore it out and put in a new 22gauge single coil, only to find the whole mod shorting and not firing. So, in the market for a new mech, figured I'd look into a new atty as well.

Holy .... has the game changed in a year! I hear about this thing called a Plume Veil that is supposedly the end all be all of attys. Being me, I never buy authentic cause I just can't justify the price, and from what iI hear, the Acerig one is pretty good.

But, then out of the darkness, I hear about this sub $30 atty that supposedly makes cloud chasers wet dreams come true, and allegedly has flavor to boot! How can this be true, sounds like one of those pyramid schemes to me. But, alas, Rip says it's the best, and he says that about everything, so it must be true!

So, there's my dilemma. Sub $30 rda that will make my sub ohm coils breath fire while tasting delicious. Can it be true? Is it for real? And which one would do the best job at it?

Also, just heard of a 454 big block clone, any good?

funkfist

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2009
Got a legit 454 big block and it's perfection. Mutation X looks like a ridiculous cloud chasing tobh clone like those ones guys who drilled holes in clone patriots and called it something "cool" to make it look new. I had a legit Tobh and it had muted flavor compared to everything else I've had. It did chuck the clouds though.

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I have a legit Plume V1. It is currently my favorite. Flavorful. Airy. Big clouds.

I also own a legit CLT and a MX. I tried the CLT with dual coil .58 ohm and it was too hot. Also tried the MX .45 ohm. Too airy. Still searching for the happy spot with the MX.

Thinking of taking the bottom of the CLT (easy dual/quad coil mounting) and using the top of the MX (maximum air flow) for this next build. I want to try to build something around 3 ohms with that setup. We'll see.

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Yup, I have to chime in here again and now state that I have come to like my MuteX better than atty I own.

My plume Veil has sat on my build table for well over three weeks without any love.

I have yet to build the Doge that I have as I am waiting on the Vulacanizer (Vulcan heat sink).

Have a Hobo v2 on the way as well.

But currently, I am loving the MX.

HazyDayz

Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago
Yeah I bumped it for some updated opinons.

I was considering getting the Plume Veil next, but like everyone said here (and elsewhere, for that matter) the MX generally is the RDA that takes over and is used in their ADV. That's what I'm looking for. A solid RDA that I can count on. I've heard nothing BUT great things, whereas with the Plume Veil it seems it is hit or miss.

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah I bumped it for some updated opinons.

I was considering getting the Plume Veil next, but like everyone said here (and elsewhere, for that matter) the MX generally is the RDA that takes over and is used in their ADV. That's what I'm looking for. A solid RDA that I can count on. I've heard nothing BUT great things, whereas with the Plume Veil it seems it is hit or miss.

My authentic Plume is definitely no slouch. It is a great atty producing great clouds and good flavor. However, I really hate how shallow the deck is on it. Way too much dripping for me. Plus, it leaked out of the neg post air holes. Excellent idea. Horrible implementation imo. The well on the MX is huge compared to the Plume.

The MX is so versatile with air flow. I only drip when home but it is all I use as soon as I arrive home after work or from the time I get up to the time I go to bed on the weekends.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought the MX and never purchased the Plume. The difference in price for me between the two was $90. Got the Plume for $115. Got the MX for $25. A no brainer really.

zipflint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Spartanburg, SC
I've got a Plume Veil clone and a Mutation X. I've had the Plume Veil longer and have found "my" build for it; I like clouds every now and then but I'm more of a flavor junkie. I've only had the MX for about a week and I'm still fiddling with builds.

Clouds? Check! Flavor? Kinda weak. I think I need to raise my coils a little more on the next build. Here's what's in there right now, I'd be grateful to see more build photos. I've scanned the Coil Builds sub-forum and there's lots there, but I'd like to see more. Please. :oops:

Mutation X 0001 by zipflint, on Flickr

Mutation X 0002 by zipflint, on Flickr

Mutation X 0003 by zipflint, on Flickr

bholcomb22

Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Denver, CO
This is my go to for the mutation right now... This is actually a 6 wrap but I'm really liking 5 wraps of 24 gauge wrapped around a 2.5 mm rod...Loving it in the .2 - .3 ohm territory...

S9Mb7iul.jpg

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I've got a Plume Veil clone and a Mutation X. I've had the Plume Veil longer and have found "my" build for it; I like clouds every now and then but I'm more of a flavor junkie. I've only had the MX for about a week and I'm still fiddling with builds.

Clouds? Check! Flavor? Kinda weak. I think I need to raise my coils a little more on the next build. Here's what's in there right now, I'd be grateful to see more build photos. I've scanned the Coil Builds sub-forum and there's lots there, but I'd like to see more. Please. :oops:

15651473151_f26a2f79d5_b.jpg

That's a MuteX? Sure looks a lot different than mine, especially the well depth.

Here's an older build. I have since altered my coils so that both ends of the rayon are unobstructed and changed my wicking method as well. I will try to remember to post up an image of it when I get home this afternoon.

mutex2.jpg

zipflint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Spartanburg, SC
Hm. Interesting! Mine could very well be a knock-off. It was a display-case dealie at my local shop and I think I only paid $15 for it.

Either way, thanks for posting the photos, gang!

That's a MuteX? Sure looks a lot different than mine, especially the well depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread