My Adventure with Vaping - and why I am quiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOdessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Background - Male, 30 Years old. Smoking black n milds (inhaled) since 18. vaping for...3 or 4 years now?

So I smoked black n milds and started coughing up huge loads of yellow flem. After a family member died to a heart attack related to smoking I figured I need to get on something new. Around this time vaping started to get big. I started with a starter pack and plastic clearomizers. Stick to this eventually til the MVP came out by Innokin. 12 watts of fury with a Kanger protank - sign me up!!!!!! I eventually started rebuilding the protank wicks with cotton. At this time I was vaping as I would a cigar - not inhaling but taking into the mouth and exhaling.

Along came the Kayfun - welcome to RTA! Dabbed in that until eleaf released the istick and Aspire released the Atlantis. WELCOME TO SUBOHMING. With subohming came lung inhales. This is when it went down hill.

Over the years I've upgraded obviously with the times. I currently run a Kanger 120w with a cleito tank which I run at 50w with a .4ohm coil. Now I've tried every combination imaginable. MAX PG, MAX VG, PURE VG, UNFLAVORED....everything. From vaping I've noticed I have puffy eyes, dry eyes, sore throats, and fatigue. Lately the fatigue has gotten so bad that I decided to google "why does vaping make me tired?". Low and behold a TON of people have had this problem. This was my final straw to quit.

I've taken different meds to counteract the redness of eyes. Lotions, drinking tons of water, ect. Today I finally told myself I am done with vaping. Perhaps this stuff isn't as good as we thought it was? Oh yeah, eczema has kicked in since vaping as well. Bleached skin spots thanks to steroid cream is to thank from this.

Perhaps my body just doesn't like vaping, period. No matter what I do it caused me pain but the flavors, nicotine, and enjoying it kept me with it and always tried work-a-rounds. Hell I even caught allergy infections a few times where I had to take antibiotics. Related? I don't know but eczema is a direct affect from allergies. Something I didn't have prior to vaping.

Today I bought a can of SNUS. Yes, it's tobacco but it's smokeless and I don't spit a ton from it so I am going to try this can then go to Walmart and pick up a pack of gum then eventually just get off nicotine period. It's a horrible drug.

Vaping - it's been fun. You've been a hobby of mine and even created part of my identity. Everyone knew it was me from the wonderful smelling clouds but I believe our time is over. Only time will tell now if my issues subside from quitting. If it does, I can safely say I will be sad I even started vaping. Mentally it's messed me up from the allergies to the fatigue to some weird ... medications I am taking along with supplements. I'll keep everyone updated. Perhaps vaping isn't as safe as we all think it is.

penstyle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2009
FL
Have you been to an allergist, dermatologist, talked to your doctor about those "supplements".
Snus- Snus (nass) and oral cancer: A case series report

Many things I have now that I did not when I was younger. Cant blame vaping for all of it.
We are all getting older and any number of things will happen.
Good luck to you.

Reactions: Hitmetwice

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Over the years I've upgraded obviously with the times. I currently run a Kanger 120w with a cleito tank which I run at 50w with a .4ohm coil.

It's only an upgrade if it improves your game. Maybe step back to lower power levels?

And whatever you decide, good luck! :thumb:

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
WELCOME TO SUBOHMING. With subohming came lung inhales. This is when it went down hill.

Just like with anything - extremes can bring out side effects. Shoot kale is the wonder green thing to eat - people started eating it three times a day - every day - what happened - not good - to much of a good thing. I could go on and on, but sounds like you took vaping beyond just helping you to get away from the cigs you hated.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Wow. This sounds just like that deleted video by Rip.

Take it easy bro. Bad luck

(I hope your wrong about all of that, but I hope you get better soon)

I've got spots recently, I've got no job, no girlfriend, no house, s**t car and not a lot of money.

I blame vaping for all of it...

P.s the lack of money is definitely vapings fault.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Vaping over smoking is smart IMO. Not vaping over vaping is smart as well.

Vaping is not "good for you" but it is better than smoking. If my wife and I stopped vaping, we would very likely start right back up with the smokes. Vaping is a fun hobby for me, but I wish I didn't feel a need for nicotine at all.

I may quit vaping one day, but not smoking is a big enough step for me at this time in my life.

To each their own...

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I wonder how many long time smokers successfully switched entirely to vaping and then stopped vaping and didn't relapse to anything? I've been vaping 2 years now. Don't feel like stopping. May be someday.
Be a lot easier to quit vaping than smoking as well IMO.

I can go to work all day and not vape if need be. I could never do that with smoking.

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
Please come back in a couple of months and update us on your health. I haven't heard too many people say that vaping makes them tired. It keeps me awake much like caffeine. My eyes are red sometimes and I do have some seasonal allergies. My mother and son both have allergies though and neither of them have ever smoked or vaped. I'm very curious to see if your symptoms lesson after you've quit vaping for awhile.

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Sorry about your predicament. Here's hoping over the 4 years you've weened yourself off nic enough to have an "easy" quit.
Without vape I wouldn't trust myself to not go back to cigs.
The hobby has got me vaping more and at higher and higher wattages over the years. For me I think I'd best limit myself to under 50 watts because I use my puffer more through the day the higher I go.

I'm sure there are more than you and I that have run into issues, but many do not come back to post about it due to the inevitable pushback that will come from those who feel vaping has saved their/our lives.

Wish you all the best.
If you wanna smoke real bad maybe you could tootie puff a bit on a evod set-up. Cheers.

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    Good luck to you OP. I wish you well.

One thing I don't understand is the relationship between allergies and eczema... :?: I was born with it, a very severe case of it. I could not use lotions nor most soaps. I still have it but not as bad, things still bother it a little. I did develop an allergy to cats when I left home but one is not synonymous with the other. I grew up with 7 cats, I guess it was long term exposure. :cry:

Not trying to say you are wrong, I just don't understand how allergies cause eczema. :unsure:

Stubby

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2009
    Madison, WI USA
    Have you been to an allergist, dermatologist, talked to your doctor about those "supplements".
    Snus- Snus (nass) and oral cancer: A case series report

Many things I have now that I did not when I was younger. Cant blame vaping for all of it.
    We are all getting older and any number of things will happen.
    Good luck to you.
    Snus has no connection with oral cancer, and that has been shown in dozens of studies. The study you pointed out claims middle eastern oral tobacco is snus, the same as Swedish type snus, but that is false.

Besides that, the article also falsely claims US style smokeless shows a twofold increase in oral cancers, but that is also false. Recent studies are showing essentially no increase in oral cancers among ST users.

It is sad that people in the vaping community are so badly informed about ST, and all to willing to misinform others. It is at least as bad as the ANTZ spreading false information about vaping.

FAQs – CASAA

penstyle

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    FL
    Snus has no connection with oral cancer, and that has been shown in dozens of studies. The study you pointed out claims middle eastern oral tobacco is snus, the same as Swedish type snus, but that is false.

Besides that, the article also falsely claims US style smokeless shows a twofold increase in oral cancers, but that is also false. Recent studies are showing essentially no increase in oral cancers among ST users.

It is sad that people in the vaping community are so badly informed about ST, and all to willing to misinform others. It is at least as bad as the ANTZ spreading false information about vaping.

FAQs – CASAA

Yes sir.
    I will no longer inform or link to snus articles of any type.
    Sorry to have bothered you and thanks for pointing out how bad I am.

Reactions: mattmc92

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016
    Background - Male, 30 Years old. Smoking black n milds (inhaled) since 18. Vaping for...3 or 4 years now?

So I smoked black n milds and started coughing up huge loads of yellow flem. After a family member died to a heart attack related to smoking I figured I need to get on something new. Around this time vaping started to get big. I started with a starter pack and plastic clearomizers. Stick to this eventually til the MVP came out by Innokin. 12 watts of fury with a Kanger protank - sign me up!!!!!! I eventually started rebuilding the protank wicks with cotton. At this time I was vaping as I would a cigar - not inhaling but taking into the mouth and exhaling.

Along came the Kayfun - welcome to RTA! Dabbed in that until eleaf released the istick and Aspire released the Atlantis. WELCOME TO SUBOHMING. With subohming came lung inhales. This is when it went down hill.

Over the years I've upgraded obviously with the times. I currently run a Kanger 120w with a cleito tank which I run at 50w with a .4ohm coil. Now I've tried every combination imaginable. MAX PG, MAX VG, PURE VG, UNFLAVORED....everything. From vaping I've noticed I have puffy eyes, dry eyes, sore throats, and fatigue. Lately the fatigue has gotten so bad that I decided to google "why does vaping make me tired?". Low and behold a TON of people have had this problem. This was my final straw to quit.

I've taken different meds to counteract the redness of eyes. Lotions, drinking tons of water, ect. Today I finally told myself I am done with vaping. Perhaps this stuff isn't as good as we thought it was? Oh yeah, eczema has kicked in since vaping as well. Bleached skin spots thanks to steroid cream is to thank from this.

Perhaps my body just doesn't like vaping, period. No matter what I do it caused me pain but the flavors, nicotine, and enjoying it kept me with it and always tried work-a-rounds. Hell I even caught allergy infections a few times where I had to take antibiotics. Related? I don't know but eczema is a direct affect from allergies. Something I didn't have prior to vaping.

Today I bought a can of SNUS. Yes, it's tobacco but it's smokeless and I don't spit a ton from it so I am going to try this can then go to Walmart and pick up a pack of gum then eventually just get off nicotine period. It's a horrible drug.

Vaping - it's been fun. You've been a hobby of mine and even created part of my identity. Everyone knew it was me from the wonderful smelling clouds but I believe our time is over. Only time will tell now if my issues subside from quitting. If it does, I can safely say I will be sad I even started vaping. Mentally it's messed me up from the allergies to the fatigue to some weird ... medications I am taking along with supplements. I'll keep everyone updated. Perhaps vaping isn't as safe as we all think it is.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, glad you're not going back to cigarettes though.
    I haven't experienced many of the things you have, given my vaping experience is two weeks of nagging people on here for advice. I can relate to the fatigue though, I feel like I could sleep for 16 hours a day. It just wears me out so much and I have no idea why, and it's making me feel sub human.
    Hope you stick around on the forums though, seems like you have experience to empart :)

Reactions: DavidOck

mattmc92

Sep 6, 2016

FAQs – CASAA
    I don't know how much he meant to misinform or meant any ill will, seems the opposite really. Linking a case study isn't necesarily advocating its findigns. While your researching may differ, it doesn't mean its conclusively proven, you just trust different sources. I've for instance read many articles linking energy drinks to esophageal and mouth cancer, and others that claim without a doubt they do not, its best to use your own discression and trust your own instincts. Informing somebody of relevant information is only ever a good thing and should be encouraged.

Stubby

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 22, 2009
    Madison, WI USA
    I don't know how much he meant to misinform or meant any ill will, seems the opposite really. Linking a case study isn't necesarily advocating its findigns. While your researching may differ, it doesn't mean its conclusively proven, you just trust different sources. I've for instance read many articles linking energy drinks to esophageal and mouth cancer, and others that claim without a doubt they do not, its best to use your own discression and trust your own instincts. Informing somebody of relevant information is only ever a good thing and should be encouraged.

The case for snus (and all western style smokeless) having very low risk, at least equivalent to vaping, is proven, and with much more science behind it then vaping (and that is not saying vaping is bad). Of course you can always find a study that claims great harm, just as you can with vaping. The misinformation campaign did not start with vaping. It has been going on for decades with ST and is a good deal more deeply ingrained.

Posting a study with glaring flaws is not a good thing, though you do have to know a good deal about ST to see the flaws. From the choice of the study, I would guess penstyle is just as misinformed as the population in general on the risk of ST, which means grossly misinformed.

Vaping doesn't work for everyone as can be seen by the OP. Fortunately there are other alternatives that also have vanishingly low risk. The first thing I would recommend for someone not getting along with vaping would be to try some of the alternatives. Patting someone on the back and wishing them well is not really doing much good. Misinforming about other low risk alternatives is very destructive and can, and probably does cause a good deal of harm.

dolvey

Jan 13, 2010
    florida
    So sorry to hear of your woes with vaping and I hope that you get better soon. I smoked at least 2 packs a day for 42 years and tried everything on earth to quit with no success. I discovered vaping in 2009 and never picked up another cigarette. I started with high nic ejuice and after about 3 years started gradually reducing the concentration until 2 years ago was at 0 nic 100% VG. Then I started cutting back on vaping all together until I was off altogether, but found myself eating like a pig and put on 45 lbs. So I picked vaping back up, still at 0 nic and have stopped eating so much. Haven't figured out what I will ultimately do, but I truly believe vaping saved me in the long run. I actually started coughing and have breathing issues start after 6 mos. of not vaping. I don't have those issues now. Go figure.

Well anyway, the best to you and good luck.

Reactions: Str8vision
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread