My atty went "atomic" should I trash it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jghunter1

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Denver, N.C.
Were all doomed!

JG's atty's gone nuclear!

Oldtechno doesn't care--he's been stockpiling for a month--juice, batteries, atties, etc..

Ha, ha, thanks sooooo much! Lol! Well, after some research, looks like there is NO cleaning cycle for a MANUAL 510 battery and the consensus seems to be that if it seems to work I should use it. SOOO, I will put this atty back in the rotation BUT I'm going to mark it so that I DON'T ever leave it attatched to a battery unattended. Stay tuned for posts of my horribly disfigured face! Just kidding- looks like it will be perfectly OK!

65590.png

Last edited:

Travis798

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Oklahoma
I haven't had any genuine Joye batteries do this to me but I have had it happen quite a few times with the slb clones. The LED is brighter on the clones and if you hold the button down (disconnect the atty) the clones will flash about about 12 seconds or so and you will see it has a 2nd LED. If the battery is genuine Joye, it's probably a very rare occurrence, if it's a clone, feel free to use it (I use mine) but keep an eye on it. I've lost one atty due to it.

Travis798

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Oklahoma
Thanks Travis! Good info!

I'm curious, did you check to see if yours was genuine Joye or a clone? I have quite a few of each, never had a Joye batt do it and the clones do on occasion, but that doesn't stop me from using the clones! I've gotten in the habit though of running the PV up to my ear for a sec before I put it down to make sure I can't hear the atty. If it stays on, just hit the button again and it turns off.

cluffy

Nov 21, 2009
upstate NY
Hi, only a month into vaping, 3 weeks w/o an analog. I have 3 510 attys, was saving one for when the other 2 faded. They started to fade so I broke out the new one and whoa! Burned pretty hot when I started but I figured it was just the crap that comes on 'em. Even after priming it still superheated. If you look into the end while dry burning, like Rudolph's nose you would even say it glows. I mean red hot. Plus it killed a battery in no time. I guess I'll have to break out the old multitester and do some research. In the meantime, I'd like to hear from others with similar plights. Thanks e-cigarette-forum and members for providing so much info about the PV, VAPE ON!
(oh, and fear not, I have a 5 pack of Totally Wicked's Titan attys on their way. I hear they're the best...)

jghunter1

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Denver, N.C.
I'm curious, did you check to see if yours was genuine Joye or a clone?

I (finally!) did check. Held down the manual button for about 5 seconds on each battery. None began flashing BUT some seem to have brighter LED's than others. None have 2 LED's. Sooo I think they are all Joye's but maybe I should hold down the button longer?

Debbie

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
South Jersey
I had this happen on a 510 L2. The battery stuck. I figured it was defective and sent it back to the supplier. I heard others had the same problem with the 510 L2.

I don't need an atty sticking and staying on any time I use it, especially when I could have walked off after taking that puff. Luckily, I had it standing up in a glass at the time, so no damage was done.

I had just taken a puff and put it down. A few seconds later it suddenly started smoking and I heard the sizzling and realized it hadn't shut off after I had taken a puff. The LED was NOT lit to show it had stayed on.

So I figured the button must have stuck. I have never had it happen with an original 510. I don't want an atty that has a button that sticks. It seems dangerous to me. What if I had left the room? What if I had laid it down next to a papertowel or magazine?

You would have to be absolutely SURE it shuts down after every puff you take. I like my home. I don't really feel like burning it down. ;)

Debbie

Added: I wasn't able to discern 2 LED's on my 510 L2 either. Other than the larger bridge inside the atty, the whole ecig appeared to be the same as an original 510 to me. I knew, however, that it was a 510 L2 because that was what I had purchased (thinking at the time it was just a newer model of the original 510).

Last edited:

Glenn54

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2009
New York
I recently had an atomizer go "atomic" on me. I was vaping a bit, setting down, vaping a bit when I noticed a burning smell. Picked up my Joye 51o and it was burning hot!! I immediately disconnected the (manual) battery. The atty still looked OK so blew it out, rinsed it in very hot water, blew out again and let it dry for a full 48 hours. I tried it again, briefly, and it still seems to work just fine. I still use the battery that was originally attached to it and have had no problems with it. Button never sticks, etc.

So my question is: is that atty safe to use? I keep having visions of my e-cig exploding in my face!

My thoughts on this...I know a lot of people clean atty's with water...I don't think this is such a great idea unless after you wash it you drip some ejuice onto the atty and let it dry that way...in fact what ever you clean your atty with I think some ejuice dripped into it before setting it aside to dry couldn't hurt! Then again I just started doing this, but I did do a ton of research prior to buying everything.

This is the best thing since sliced bread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread