My battery capacity is dropping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDreamer

Jun 25, 2015
Basically I have Kanger EVOD VV 650 (just without branding and stuff...). At first when I bought it I could vape almost 3ml with one charge. That was almost 2 months ago. Now I can barely finish 1.5ml(one fill up). Im charging it through the adaptor from my PC. I was wondering why its happening. Im using it with joyetech eCom-C clearomiser(2.4ohm) at 3.9V

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Basically I have Kanger EVOD VV 650 (just without branding and stuff...). At first when I bought it I could vape almost 3ml with one charge. That was almost 2 months ago. Now I can barely finish 1.5ml(one fill up). Im charging it through the adaptor from my PC. I was wondering why its happening. Im using it with Joyetech eCom-C clearomiser(2.4ohm) at 3.9V

Sounds like the Battery is just Wearing out. Not getting as much Battery Time is a Classic Sign.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Is there a way I could disassemble the Battery so I can just change the battery that is inside?

No.
The 'battery' inside it is soldered probably to wires which then run along to solder points on the small pcb board near the button.
Attempting to disassemble can lead to accidental discharge of battery.

After a few months using those types of batteries, most of us move on to 18650 replaceable battery mods.

there are also 18350 sized replaceable batteries
(18650 = 18mm diameter x 65mm length)
(18350 = 18mm diameter x 35mm length)

TheDreamer

Jun 25, 2015
No.
The 'battery' inside it is soldered probably to wires which then run along to solder points on the small pcb board near the button.
Attempting to disassemble can lead to accidental discharge of battery.

After a few months using those types of batteries, most of us move on to 18650 replaceable battery mods.

there are also 18350 sized replaceable batteries
(18650 = 18mm diameter x 65mm length)
(18350 = 18mm diameter x 35mm length)
Ok, I will keep that in mind... I like these ones because they're small in diameter, but I could go with 18mm ones

Last edited:

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
Hey OP....don't worry. Most people start out with an e-cig that looks as close to a real cigarette, and/or as small as possible. As time goes on, we ALL (more or less) pretty much move on to the bigger and better stuff ;)

Also, lucky for you, this is a FANTASTIC time to be vaping. There are TONS of great e-cig/mods on the market right now.

Joyetech Ego One 2200 mah - 101 Vape

bloodless2010

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2015
Here's a quick tip OP, PC usb ports only output 500mA of current, compared to most USB wall-socket plug adapter being 1A, you're basically charging at half the rate, I suggest getting a USB wall-socket plug adapter :)
What I'm saying is you could be mistaking the bad charge rate for bad battery capacity. Also, you say it doesn't have the branding on it which may give the hint that it's a clone, meaning bad battery quality so it will have less lifetime.

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015

I don't mean to thread hijack but can you elaborate on the life span of the 18650's? I'm considering making the step to a battery operated mod the only thing holding me back is the fear factor of running out of battery while not near a charger. Carrying around a ton of back up battery's don't seem to appealing either.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
I don't mean to thread hijack but can you elaborate on the life span of the 18650's? I'm considering making the step to a battery operated mod the only thing holding me back is the fear factor of running out of battery while not near a charger. Carrying around a ton of back up battery's don't seem to appealing either.

The OP is using a 650mAh battery.
18650 batteries are typically about 2000+ mAh capacity.

An 18650 battery will typically last you through the day on a full tank 3-4ml at 5 to 10 watts.

Daddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2015
An 18650 battery will typically last you through the day on a full tank 3-4ml at 5 to 10 watts.

Local shop is telling me 18650's only go for about 4-6 hours? Meaning say a 10 hour day (hour drive to work, 8 hour work, hour drive home) would safely need 3 sets of batteries?

Sound right to you?

I'm using the SMOK M80 right now and love the convenience of being able to charge with a micro usb while in the car or at the office.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Local shop is telling me 18650's only go for about 4-6 hours? Meaning say a 10 hour day (hour drive to work, 8 hour work, hour drive home) would safely need 3 sets of batteries?

Sound right to you?

I'm using the SMOK M80 right now and love the convenience of being able to charge with a micro usb while in the car or at the office.

you should be able to get about 3 to 5ml off one battery.

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
Another thing that helps the life of the eGo.....or any of these batteries, is to not frequently discharge these until they're totally spent. One can test these with a multimeter also, just attach the red lead to the battery terminal (the contact area where the tank sits), and the black lead to the thread area & press the firing button. If it's reads 3.4V or below, the battery needs to be charged.

While I know it may state on the package (or ad, if shipped in a plain package) how many full charge cycles it'll go through, this number can be increased by not letting the device drain too low. On the other hand, frequent drains of below 2.4V will lower the number of cycles of the battery, at a very fast rate. This was a lesson learned with my very first battery, which also was of the eGo type.

One reason why it's good to have two or more of these devices on hand, as well as a $5 to $7 digital multimeter & use it. The multimeter will pay for itself if used to monitor devices & power off when below 3.4V, then swap to another. Be sure to allow the battery to cool (or 'rest') before placing on charger cable, this also helps to have a longer lifespan.

Cat

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
Another thing that helps the life of the eGo.....or any of these batteries, is to not frequently discharge these until they're totally spent. One can test these with a multimeter also, just attach the red lead to the battery terminal (the contact area where the tank sits), and the black lead to the thread area & press the firing button. If it's reads 3.4V or below, the battery needs to be charged.

It's been a while since I used an Ego, but aren't they regulated to around 3.4 v. Meaning, won't you read 3.4v with a meter regardless of what the batts actual charge is?

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Here's a quick tip OP, PC usb ports only output 500mA of current, compared to most USB wall-socket plug adapter being 1A, you're basically charging at half the rate, I suggest getting a USB wall-socket plug adapter :)
What I'm saying is you could be mistaking the bad charge rate for bad battery capacity. Also, you say it doesn't have the branding on it which may give the hint that it's a clone, meaning bad battery quality so it will have less lifetime.

OP's battery will recharge via a dongle type charger with, typically, an output of 420 mA. As long as the source to it is rated higher than that, there won't be any change in charge time. Batteries built with true USB charging, i.e. no dongle, just a cable, generally will benefit from a higher power source than a computer USB port.

18650's come in a variety of capacities. In general, the higher the mAh rating, the lower the discharge rate. So if looking to subohm, higher mAh may not be the best choice.

And if your NEW ego 650 got you through a day, ANY 18650 should - IF you keep your vaping style (coil resistance, length of each draw, etc.) the same.

If the 650 was NOT a VV type, yeah, I think it's regulated to 3.4...

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Is there a way I could disassemble the Battery so I can just change the battery that is inside?

No, not in an ego style.

I've seen GENUINE Kanger evods for anywhere from $6.99 to about $15-20. I actually just got a whole boxed kit for $25 on sale.
(2 batts, 7 coils, 2 Evod clearos that match the battery.

To be honest, I've had a LOT more luck w/genuine Joyetech batteries than with spinners and evods. My joyetechs are lasting years, the kangers and visions are crapping out in weird ways after a few months.

fairweasel2323

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Marion, OH
I still got 2 Genuine Kangertech EVOD Battery's bot 650's one is VV other regulated. The EVOD is regulated at 3.7v where a Ego is 3.4v. The standard 650mah EVOD I've had for 2 years and still great. The VV EVOD Battery I just got in April but now passed it on to my nephew and got a I Pow 2 15w mod. I always used a EVOD USB charger to a AC adapter. I have heard and fell like it's better way to charge then from the computer. Use a Ego USB or the EVOD USB charger connected to a AC adapter instead of PC USB.
Also Vision is the most cloned Ego Style battery. But sounds like you have a Cloned Kangertech EVOD. You can tell by way the print is on the battery if you don't have a genuine sticker to run numbers but all genuine will have the EVOD VV print running left to right with the firing button to the left. Many clones are backwards. You can get genuine ones for great prices, they will go through a lot of abuse. I can only read EVO, no D on my standard 650mah that's couple years old lol I do still use it occasionally even, was going to use the VV EVOD as backup but since I got my nephew into Vaping it be better for him then standard would. So I kept the old standard EVOD to use in my lanyard when out mowing or other activities I don't want to use my I Pow 2 in. Eventually it will get VIF'ED and I'll use I Pow 2 for on go and as backup once I get another mod for home :) happy vaping!

PD Vapes

Sep 29, 2015
UK North-West

Sound right to you?

It's a how long is a piece of string question to be honest.

It will all depend on how efficient your device is, what ohms your coils are, what wattage your vaping at, long puffs vs short puffs.

Someone with a dripper, running at 50w+ on a 0.5 coil, might get only 4-5hrs.

Someone with a 1.5ohm coil, vaping at 10w-15w, taking small puffs, might get well over a day.

So many variants.

Reactions: Daddy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread