My Cost Analysis for E-Cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wings

Dec 15, 2009
NC
I started e-cigs in December (no tobacco cig since), first with some model with a blue light on the end (forgot the name) and then with TotallyWicked's Screwdriver, which I like a lot. After using it for 3 months I figured out what I was paying vs what I used to pay for tobacco. First, my costs:

Setup:
Screwdriver + extra atomizers and cartridges: Around $150.
Bottle of Everclear for atomizer cleaning: $10 (or close to that)

Recurring:
30ml of Platinum Ice 54mg nicotine: $50
237ml Vegetable Glycerine: $12
300ml Pharmaceutical Grade Propylene Glycol: $12
10ml Menthol Concentrate: $9

I mix 3ml of VG, 3ml of PG, and 2.5ml of Platinum Ice plus 30 drops of menthol flavoring in a 10ml dispenser bottle. The cost per bottle is $4.45, and 2 bottles last me right at 7 days. So in 7 days I consume $8.90 which is $1.27 per day. When the setup costs are figured in over a 6-month period they add about $0.60 more per day. The Screwdriver & atomizers should last a lot longer than that but I'm being conservative here. So far I don't see anything wearing out.

Total is $1.87 per day.

Cigarette cost per day was around $7.60. (1 $38 carton, 2 packs/day, gone in 5 days)

Or put another way, a "carton's worth" of liquid is $9.35 vs a carton cost of $38. 1/4th the cost.

Your mileage may vary.

Wings

Dec 15, 2009
NC
Martha1014 - So, is the Screwdriver your only vape? Do you have a back-up or is the screwdriver that reliable? I'm asking because I've purchased several unreliable mods and looking for the right one.

Yes, the only one. I've used it constantly for 3 months, but I have spare atomizers (which I clean by soaking in Everclear after 2-3 weeks of use) and cartridges. I repack the filler in a cartridge with tea-bag paper every couple of weeks so I imagine a cartridge will last a very long time.

I swap out the battery in the Screwdriver every morning and put the used one on the charger for the next day. Even if I forget, the battery will run it for around 1.5 days.

One thing about the Screwdriver that I thought would wear out first - the end cap that covers the pushbutton when not using it. But so far so good. Cheap to replace anyway.

Also, I've found that after a while the cartridges would no longer fit snugly into the atomizer(s). That can be fixed by squeezing the end of the atomizer with pliers, gently at first and testing the fit of the cartridge as you repeatedly squeeze harder and harder.

My backup plan is the model 510 that I have and also the USB version of that. Those are the ones I bought originally but didn't like it much due to the short battery runs.

PaulCincy

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2010
Cincinnati OH
I figured it out about a month ago...Was a 1 & 1/2 a pack a day analog user, more when out on the town.....Overall, the first month was a little more expensive than smoking, mostly due to buying extra items for backups as this forum suggests...and a biggie, buying e-juice....love to shop around for different flavors...Now, in my second month, has not bought any extra attys or batteries...Also, been only re-ordering flavors that I know I like...so, saved a bundle this month...I can see, that of course, besides the great health benefits (why I started vaping in the first place), I will be saving close to $75 - $100 per month by vaping....not a bad secondary benefit....Enjoy...

dinium

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I really have not saved much money(I love to buy) but I see the potential to save a lot of money. After reading the forum I have noticed there are a lot of people who spend, spend, spend. Just think we have to have one of everything.

^^ I'm fast heading down that track - I think I've replaced my smoking addition with a shopping one. :oops:

I did the sums earlier today and have some months to go before I break even - and that's with an old $20/day smoking habit (they're expensive little buggers in Australia).

But so what. I have enough supplies to last a few nuclear winters, have stopped wheezing, can actually take a deep breath without coughing, sleep through the night with spluttering, don't smell like an ashtray all the time, have a huge amount more energy and feel really fantastic.

And eight or nine weeks ago, I would have happily paid anything to feel this good :)

Wings

Dec 15, 2009
NC
Are you saying you can use your atomizer indefinitely ? These things burn out fairly quickly.

Yes, indefinitely, so it seems. With my first e-cig (the skinny one with the blue light on the end) the atomizers didn't last all that long. But since the first of Jan when I got this Screwdriver I've not had one burn out. I have a pack of 5 plus the one that came with it and they are still going strong. After using one a few weeks I put it aside and put in a replacement. When I've collected a few used ones I soak them in Everclear for a day or two and they're as good as new. I have 2 of them still in the wrapper, unused, so 4 of them have lasted 3 1/2 months and show no signs of deterioration.

I slightly suspect that using teabag paper for the cartridge filler may have something to do with that. It's by far the best filler that I've tried and I strongly recommend it. (I may make a short movie about preparing the filler and add it to the many How-To movies on YouTube.)

bluebottle7

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
How are you figuring setup costs across a six month period? As the full unit wearing out during that period?

To me it would make more sense to figure in the cost of about two batteries and maybe the same number of switches. The body shouldn't wear out in that period of time. Add in a couple attys and another bottle of everclear... that would come out to around $65 with shipping figured in, so divide that by 180 days and you get around $.36 per day over six months in setup costs.

This is definitely an interesting cost analysis and a great way to get motivated to stick to the PV.

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
Here in New York the state minimum price on a carton is 68-75 depending on brand, generics being under that and some designer labels being even higher. As a carton a week smoker one months of analogs cost 280+ for me.

Even with all the extra goodies and juice and extra batteries and passthru and everything I could think of I won't spend that much getting started.

Wings

Dec 15, 2009
NC
How are you figuring setup costs across a six month period? As the full unit wearing out during that period?

To me it would make more sense to figure in the cost of about two batteries and maybe the same number of switches. The body shouldn't wear out in that period of time. Add in a couple attys and another bottle of everclear... that would come out to around $65 with shipping figured in, so divide that by 180 days and you get around $.36 per day over six months in setup costs.

This is definitely an interesting cost analysis and a great way to get motivated to stick to the PV.

Yes, I figured in everything for just a 6-month period, trying to be very conservative. At the rate that I misplace mine, I'm going to lose it within 6 months. If I don't then my savings will be more. The thing is showing no signs of wearing out, even the batteries, which should last well over 500 charge/discharge cycles, or 3 years for the two of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread