My experience with the new flat ready wires...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMatt986

Jul 25, 2013
Germany
I'll come straight to the point... They are awesome!!!

Now the long version...

I have been running 0.8 Ohm dual coils for about 4 weeks now (2x 1,6 ready wires). My biggest challenge with DC's was battery usage. My AW 18350's became essential useless :oops:. I could only get about 10 - 15 hits off of them before they dropped off noticeably. The AW 18490 where a bit better but only 18650's provided enough power to last half a day.

I ordered the 1.5 flat ready wires hoping that running them in single coil mode would be more efficient and battery friendly while still providing good flavor and throat hit. I was not let down. The flat single coil is not on par with a standard double coil but en excellent compromise between battery life and vapor. I would say that the flat single coil at 4.2V is equal to a round wire double coil at 3.9V. That is not bad and exactly what I was hoping for. Now I can run stealth mode again and i really love the flavor.

Next test... dual coil flat :2cool:

-M@

Itshak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Israel
thats exactly what I feel Mad.

the flat wire atomized the juice better.
its like you are on lower ohms then you realy are.
1.5 ohm vape and feel like 1.2 ohms.
also did you not notice a change in flavore? like more clean taste??
and they also quiter in term of poping noise,like 510 atty's,
I think this is do to better contact with the wick.

MadMatt986

Jul 25, 2013
Germany
thats exactly what I feel Mad.

the flat wire atomized the juice better.
its like you are on lower ohms then you realy are.
1.5 ohm vape and feel like 1.2 ohms.
also did you not notice a change in flavore? like more clean taste??
and they also quiter in term of poping noise,like 510 atty's,
I think this is do to better contact with the wick.

Yes, the flavor is much "cleaner". I still get popping but not quite as much as with round wire. What I immediately noticed is how quickly the coil heats up. You press the button and "bam!" the vapor is there already :)

-M@

Itshak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Israel
Alas,
same here exact.

now if I close airflow the taste become more consantrate (as I like )
without become too harshness,
nor too hot.

it vap faster witout burning feel,
this way you can longer draws full of flavore.

I put post regarding this on the new ribbon thread,(started by Imeo)
and I will add there how much running time I got from this coil and how much
time it maintain this clean flavore feel.
It's look for now this thing was taylor suit for me:)

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
One more thing to note... now that I am above 1.5Ohm i realized I can use my KICK again... I turned it up to 15watts and WOW... Now it is pretty much on par with the DC setup. We will see how the batteries hold up but I am really enjoying this now!

I use a Kick with a DC .8 ohm every day so the kick will do sub ohm much like the DNA

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
Since I got my Ithakas, I tried dual coils from time to time, just to confirm dual coils are not for me, I mean, I have the feeling that dual coils take more time to heat, of course, all depends on the final resistance and wire gauges used and in my personal opinion (and according to my experiments) is that dual coils are very aggressive for the batteries and the result is not much better than a good single coil configuration (I have tried duals in = and X mode).

Thinner gauges react faster but less turns around the wick (I have experimented with dual coils using nichrome 36 AWG, 34 AWG, 0.17 mm and Kanthal 32 AWG, always trying to achieve a final resistance of 0.8 - 0.9 ohms).

About flat or ribbon Kanthal:

I was playing with different sizes (gauges) of ribbon Kanthal last night, I have 0.3, 0.4 and 0.5 mm

I started with the 0.3 mm one, it gives little more heating surface than the 32 AWG round Kanthal wire, but as I use it around two wicks, it only takes a couple of turns around the wicks to achieve a final resitance of 1.3 to 1.5 ohms.

With the 0.5 mm one, you can achieve lower resistances with more turns and more heating surface, but at the same time there is more metal material, and I can notice it tooks more time to heat, so to get good results with this wire I have to make configurations with 1.1 - 1.0 ohms. In this case, I think there is not much benefit of having "many" turns of flat wire around the wicks, because air mostly hits at the center part of the wick.

Too low resistances = hotter vapor, but sometimes the mouthpiece gets very hot, also some liquids do not taste good at very low resistances.

The 0.4 mm one (the one that I'm currently using) is a balance between the above two, in configutations of 1.3 - 1.4 ohms.

Other important factors are the wicks, what diameter is it, quality of the wick, how tight are the coils around wicks, how fast with which the wick can supply liquid (you have liquid control, but there are cases in which the wick does not supply liquid fast enough, you open the liquid control to compensate it and it starts to gurgle), liquid density, etc. etc.

Yesterday I started to experiment, because I was using a RBA inside my UFS, the thing is that the resistance was 1.8 ohms, and I was having better results / performance (better flavor, better vapor production and vapor concentration) than with my Ithaka configured with a single 0.5 mm, 1.0 ohms ribbon Kanthal coil.

Then I started to remember about my iAttys, if you read some threads you will notice that a lot of GG old users said iAtty is the King, and it is its preferred GG atomizer, because the flavor, the vapor production and vapor concentration. Then, thinking about it, I remembered that at that time using a 1.5 ohms resitance in the iAtty was the thing (at least for me), I use to configure my iAtty with resistances of 2.0, 2.1 ohms, and I remembered what Imeo said long time ago, I do not remember textually, but it was related to the thing I wrote above, thinner wires react faster, due there is less material to heat.

Going back to the basics I configured one of my Ithakas with a single coil 1.5 ohms, 0.17 mm nichrome wire configuraton, the coil was around a single wick, in X configuration, with a wick without wire on top, it worked very good, the only thing is that the vapor was not warm.

Now, what have those two atomizers (RBA in UFS and iAtty) in common? The ceramic cup. It is so small than coils are very close each other, as the size for the coils is small, you have to use thin gauge wire (that reacts faster), also, due the small space, air hits practically all the coils, producing more concentrated vapor.

I was wondering how a Ithaka will perform with a smaller ceramic cup, with all its features.

I'm not saying nor implying Ithakas are not good, on the contrary they are very very good, with all the features, innovations, endless possibilities they provide, are simply the best atomizers, but you have to find your sweet spot. That is one of the nicest things of GG atomizers, they provide a endless set of possibilities, each one with its unique characteristics.

Of course, there are many many configurations I have to try, as microcoils and so on, I'll keep experimenting, I just wanted to share my experiences.

:)

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
Ariel my friend you just described the whole reasoning behind the concept of microcoils. This is how people realized and rationalized towards it. You don't need to change the ceramic cup. Take a 28 gauge wire. Advantage? More wire length. Disadvantages? Slow heating time. Solution? What if the coils touch and are as tight as possible. We realize that the coil does not glow all at the same time. It glows first in the center the spreads to the edges. Coils heat each other up. Make small diameter coil 1.5 mm or less and you have the perfect coil. Many wraps, low enough resistance, and heat spreads from the middle with enough heat to boil the heck out of the liquid. Think of it as concentrated heat. Man try it you will not regret it. Credit foes to superxdrifter who came up with the name and the practice famous.

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
Ariel my friend you just described the whole reasoning behind the concept of microcoils. This is how people realized and rationalized towards it. You don't need to change the ceramic cup. Take a 28 gauge wire. Advantage? More wire length. Disadvantages? Slow heating time. Solution? What if the coils touch and are as tight as possible. We realize that the coil does not glow all at the same time. It glows first in the center the spreads to the edges. Coils heat each other up. Make small diameter coil 1.5 mm or less and you have the perfect coil. Many wraps, low enough resistance, and heat spreads from the middle with enough heat to boil the heck out of the liquid. Think of it as concentrated heat. Man try it you will not regret it. Credit foes to superxdrifter who came up with the name and the practice famous.

Thank you :)

I'll try it tonight, although I'll use 30 AWG - 0.25mm wire (is the thicker wire I have) :D

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
Thank you :)

I'll try it tonight, although I'll use 30 AWG - 0.25mm wire (is the thicker wire I have) :D

Try it. I just set up my first microcoil with cotton on my Ody today 28 guage kanthal 6 or 7 wraps around a screw driver perfect sized to fit into the channels. My build ended up being about 1.9 ohms but it is one of the most satisfying unregulated vape I have ever had. Add a kick to it and it is awesome at 12 watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread