My first mod (18650)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rothman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2010
Aviano, Italy
I finally decided to post pics of my first and only mod. This is the device I've been using for a few months now. It has undergone a few revisions since it was first made. It is a 7075 aluminum body with 305 stainless steel ends. The stainless ends are new. It was all aluminum at first but I quickly found out that nic juice and aluminum don't like each other and it corroded badly. Corrosion equals less continuity equals less vapor equals sucks. Throwing huge clouds again with completely corrosion resistant ends:2cool:.

I love my ego but I have grown so comfortable with this thing that it just feels natural now. I must say that I have an unfair advantage in the world of modding though, I'm a machinist.

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

Rothman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2010
Aviano, Italy
Yeah, it tapers slightly up to the top and slightly down to the botton. That's because I filed it down to merge the stainless and aluminum together. I didn't think I would like it at first but now I like it better than when it was straight.

Those are 30mm rounds with a 20mm in the middle. A-10 and F-16 rounds respectively. But man, I would feel bad for the guy shooting that gun if they were sniper rounds!

BobTheKlown

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2010
Red Oak, Tx
Yeah, it tapers slightly up to the top and slightly down to the botton. That's because I filed it down to merge the stainless and aluminum together. I didn't think I would like it at first but now I like it better than when it was straight.

Those are 30mm rounds with a 20mm in the middle. A-10 and F-16 rounds respectively. But man, I would feel bad for the guy shooting that gun if they were sniper rounds!

That is a beautiful mod, I wish I had access to a machine shop :glare:.... Awesome look with the tapering... :thumb:

I think lawman was referring to the gun in your avatar, as opposed to the shells in the b/g of the pic... I didn't even notice that's what they were until I looked again...
The mod caught my attention more... Those do look like big rounds, personally, I REALLY want a Barrett .50BMG sniper rifle... How do they compare to those rounds? Looks to me pretty close, but my perspective may be off just seeing them in a pic (on my monitor your mod is over a foot long)....
Mmmm.... Big Guns....

stouchon

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2010
Kyle, TX
Yep, I am jealous as well. I tried making something similar with wood and it turned out terrible.

I haven't ever had a need for a sniper rifle, but I did meet a fellow on a Dish install that I was doing that had a 50 cal which was the most impressive rifle I have ever seen. He said that it was fairly accurate up a mile or so.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
I finally decided to post pics of my first and only mod. This is the device I've been using for a few months now. It has undergone a few revisions since it was first made. It is a 7075 aluminum body with 305 stainless steel ends. The stainless ends are new. It was all aluminum at first but I quickly found out that nic juice and aluminum don't like each other and it corroded badly. Corrosion equals less continuity equals less vapor equals sucks. Throwing huge clouds again with completely corrosion resistant ends:2cool:.
Beautiful mod. Your corrosion statement struck me as odd as I don't think I've ever seen that mentioned and some of the most respected mods out there are aluminum. I imagine they are using the more common 6061 alloy, could this make a difference?

0167l_1_1.jpg

Last edited:

BobTheKlown

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2010
Red Oak, Tx
I haven't ever had a need for a sniper rifle, but I did meet a fellow on a Dish install that I was doing that had a 50 cal which was the most impressive rifle I have ever seen. He said that it was fairly accurate up a mile or so.
:offtopic:
hmm... Well, like any gun, having not had a use for it yet, doesn't mean you won't... No one's ever broken into my house, but I still keep a loaded gun within easy reach...
Like the condom theory: I'd rather have one and not need it, then need one and not have it!

I'm assuming the rifle you saw probably takes S&W.500 50 cal shells, the same shells as a 50 cal handgun takes (much more common guns and ammo). The Barrett is the only semi-auto that takes the .50 cal BMG (Big Machine Gun) shells, like the big turrets mounted on hum-vees, etc. take. Same caliber (diameter) (though, technically, I THINK the BMG is a .51 or .52, they just call it .50), but big difference in the amount of powder behind it... It's the difference between maybe hitting that target a mile away and completely destroying that target a mile and a half away.

Rothman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2010
Aviano, Italy
7075 is the harder of the two aluminums,using different alloying elements. 6061 is decent against corrosion but it does still occur. I have never tested 6061 against e-juice though. 7075 is usually good against corrosion as well that's why it was wierd. If I think of it, I'll test a piece of 6061 tonight and see how it does after a few days.

The 20mm shell is what the F-16 fighter jet fires. It may not look big but that's due to persective, it's actually quite a bit larger than my mod. The 30mm is the vulcan cannon round from an A-10 warthog. These rounds are disgustingly huge and just the shells are around 10 inches long. They were designed to destroy heavily armored tanks after all.

stouchon

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2010
Kyle, TX
hmm... Well, like any gun, having not had a use for it yet, doesn't mean you won't... No one's ever broken into my house, but I still keep a loaded gun within easy reach...
Like the condom theory: I'd rather have one and not need it, then need one and not have it!

I'm assuming the rifle you saw probably takes S&W.500 50 cal shells, the same shells as a 50 cal handgun takes (much more common guns and ammo). The Barrett is the only semi-auto that takes the .50 cal BMG (Big Machine Gun) shells, like the big turrets mounted on hum-vees, etc. take. Same caliber (diameter) (though, technically, I THINK the BMG is a .51 or .52, they just call it .50), but big difference in the amount of powder behind it... It's the difference between maybe hitting that target a mile away and completely destroying that target a mile and a half away.

The one he had was of military spec (it stretched across then hood of my dodge ram tire to tire) and the ammo had he was huge. He said he made them by hand and didn't want to fire because of the expense (time i would guess). He also said that he got it from some auction for around 10g's. My boss at the time told me afterwards the guy did fire it for him the year prior. It was some hunters that moved their dish back and forth for hunting season in west Texas.

I also have no problem owning a weapon. I do have several, I mainly use for hunting. Any of which could be used for protection, less than a mile radius of course.

Last edited:

Rothman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2010
Aviano, Italy
... If I might ask, what kind of button did you use there?

It's one of the .5 amp switches from madvapes that I modified a little bit. I think they're around $2. I went through plenty of switches before I found one that wouldn't burn out without a mosfet. This one has been going for at least a month now and I suspect I won't have to buy anymore.

Sweet Futurama quote in the sig btw!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread